What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Honestly, I've forgotten in the 12 hours since I was in the store, it was around $30 I think, but it was in a store that is typically a few bucks high.

$30 would be less than I would have expected even if it is relatively low proof which seems likely based on past bottlings.

WSR for 39.99 WOW that one is so stupid it sounds like 4/1 April fools joke, its 10 dollar bourbon for cryin out loud!! and it tastes like it and that's perfectly OK for what it is cooking/mixing... but 40 bucks!!! That's worth looping back just to pass it again.

went by a store somewhat far away from me, but they had a ton:

Baby Saz: $42.99 (they said it was a sale price from $49.99...)

WSR: $39.99

OWA: $39.99

W12 1.75l: $89.99

then noticed in the glass case they had:

Sazerac 18yr: $399.99

Handy Saz: $299.99

ORVW 10: $299.99 I think. they had a few others too, but it was gouging at that point I didn't even care to pay much attention to it.

I wanted to pick up the baby saz, but not at that price. I didn't want to support them and their gouging ways.

Saw a Belle Meade 9yo single barrel offering on the shelf for the first time. Hard to get details about this NDP but I seem to remember that they picked both high and low rye bourbon from MGP that they blended for their standard bottling so hard to know exactly what would be in a single barrel offering. Didn't see much detail on the bottle or the website. This is not a store pick but apparently something they have just come out with. Also the price was a pretty surprising $70+. Maybe even $79, just can't recall and oddly I forgot to take a picture. With Smooth Ambler putting out regular 7yo high rye and 10yo low rye bourbon at 99 proof for much less that seems just a wee bit too high making it a pass.

I really liked the Belle Meade Sherry finished 9yo but even that seemed a bit spendy to me.

went by a store somewhat far away from me, but they had a ton:

Baby Saz: $42.99 (they said it was a sale price from $49.99...)

WSR: $39.99

OWA: $39.99

W12 1.75l: $89.99

then noticed in the glass case they had:

Sazerac 18yr: $399.99

Handy Saz: $299.99

ORVW 10: $299.99 I think. they had a few others too, but it was gouging at that point I didn't even care to pay much attention to it.

I wanted to pick up the baby saz, but not at that price. I didn't want to support them and their gouging ways.

yup... I went to another store nearby and it was $25, the price it normally is around here

WSR = W. L. Weller Special Reserve that I bought for $20 today?

It's been around $10-$12 ($20 for a handle) in Georgia for the past few years.

WSR = W. L. Weller Special Reserve that I bought for $20 today?

Even use to be less expensive and age stated.....back in the day.

a420dd095a0ee9ebdd060160c183ecac.jpg

Wow the new bottle is about $20 higher than it is here. I couldn't have resisted the old bottle though.

Eskwar, After just finishing a bottle of Old Bardstown, it's one I'll definitely pass in the future. So much better bourbon available for $30 or less.

Henry McKenna Single Barrel BIB (Gomer's Barrel #1) $27.98 . . . tempting, but have one on hand . . . hope they last, good stuff.

I was looking at Straight Rye bottlings today and noticed a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch 12yo, for $33. There was only one bottle, but I don't know much about it. I have the feeling that I should have picked it up. I'll try to get some info today and go back tomorrow, if it's a worthy buy. Any thoughts?

I think yes, EC12 is a standard on its way to becoming a classic. I've had a few bottles that were superb and a few that we just above average but all were good. For my tastes Heaven Hill Bourbons peak before 10 years and by 12 have more barrel character than I usually care for but EC12 is one of the few brands I bought by the case.

I think yes, EC12 is a standard on its way to becoming a classic. I've had a few bottles that were superb and a few that we just above average but all were good. For my tastes Heaven Hill Bourbons peak before 10 years and by 12 have more barrel character than I usually care for but EC12 is one of the few brands I bought by the case.

That helps a lot. Thanks!

:toast:

I was offered a free case of Pappy Van Winkle 23 year old today. I turned it down because my bunker is already full (mostly with Old Crow, Rebel Yell, and Benchmark). I'm proud of myself for showing such restraint.:grin:

Forged Oak at 90

Barterhouse at 80

Willett 4 yr Rye wax tops at 60

EHTBP 129 at 80

passed up an ER10 with the old label on it saying single barrel and 10 year... I'm thinking I shouldn't have.

Passed on 23 YO Elijah Craig at distillery. Passed on 22 YO EW at EW experience in Louisville. Saw plenty of bottles of Forged Oak, Barterhouse and Rhetoric in Shelbyville TN, passed on all of them. Overpriced to say the least.

passed up an ER10 with the old label on it saying single barrel and 10 year... I'm thinking I shouldn't have.

I actually picked up one a few weeks back just so I could compare to the current. Haven't had a chance to crack open the bottles but appearance wise, one is darker than the other. Sorry, can't remember which one.

I actually picked up one a few weeks back just so I could compare to the current. Haven't had a chance to crack open the bottles but appearance wise, one is darker than the other. Sorry, can't remember which one.

There's tons of variation with ER10 anyway, so it's tough to really make an "old" vs "new" comparison.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!