What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

:)

Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon 10 Year $ 799.99

Van Winkle Bourbon 12 Year Special Reserve Lot B $ 999.99

Pappy Van Winkle's Bourbon 15 Year Family Reserve $1399.99

Pappy Van Winkle's Bourbon 20 Year Family Reserve $1799.99

Pappy Van Winkle's Bourbon 23 Year Family Reserve $1999.99

EC23 at $289 (four bottles on the shelf)

PHC8 at $179 (two bottles)

Saz 18 at $179 (one bottle, and I bought the other one despite the semi-gougy price)

These are in Ventura if anyone cares.

The guy also got WLW, Stagg and ER17 but sold those to a local bar shortly before I got there.

EC23 at $289 (four bottles on the shelf)

PHC8 at $179 (two bottles)

Saz 18 at $179 (one bottle, and I bought the other one despite the semi-gougy price)

These are in Ventura if anyone cares.

The guy also got WLW, Stagg and ER17 but sold those to a local bar shortly before I got there.

I'd have probably bought that Saz 18 too!

Is that legal in CA?

Passed on WT Diamond for $124.99. This release is hanging around a long time.

I still see a lot of Forgiven on the shelves and they are not from any new batch.

Is that legal in CA?

Don't know. He says that guys from that bar come to his shop every week to check out what he has.

I also passed on Forgiven, then RHF, LB select 4RSB barrel proofers and all High West and Bowman products. Also saw WP Boss Hog and RB21, but behind glass and overpriced IMO.

I'd have probably bought that Saz 18 too!

Sadly, I probably would too. That would be my max for the Saz 18 but not more.

:grin:I just like to say it... 'cause after all the angst and discussion here upon the initial release, I just think it's funny as hell that it's still out there!

I will be honest. If the price dropped to $35, I would probably buy a bottle. It opened at $49.99 here and has stayed the same price. I was a Kroger today (Indy area) and saw some lady load up her cart with Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey. It was from the gift display shelf, although it was only bottles nothing with them. She is either going to use it to make punch for her holiday party or disappoint a lot of family and friends. :lol:

Saw one I had not heard of before. A new Hooker House bottle called Cohabitation. Looks like an attempt to hype more sourced bourbon for a ton of money by applying the 'solera" moniker to it. 7yo bourbon with a splash of several older whiskies mixed in and trying to get away with calling it 7/21 to promote the sliver of 21yo whiskey it contains. Going for something in the $125-$130 range.

post-8493-14489821777566_thumb.jpg

I liked the regular Hooker House bourbon finished in pinot noir for $35ish. Might be able to get up to $50ish from me for this one. But $125-$130?

Umm, no. :shithappens:

post-8493-14489821777112_thumb.jpg

post-8493-1448982177734_thumb.jpg

Isn't mentioning the 21-year whiskey on the label a labeling issue? I thought only the youngest whiskey age could be on the label.

You can mention it (Wild Turkey Rare Breed does it in small print on the back label) but the Hooker label appears misleading to me as it looks like a 50/50 combination of 7 and 21 year old whiskys. Sell that in California and somebody might sue 'ya.

Left a bunch on the shelf today. Woodford Pinot Noir Finish, Jeff Ocean #3, RHF, and the new OF 1870 Original batch. Curious about the later, but not $50 curious for me.

and the new OF 1870 Original batch. Curious about the later, but not $50 curious for me.

Whoo! $50! gonna have to real good to give up OFSig for that

Saw one I had not heard of before. A new Hooker House bottle called Cohabitation. Looks like an attempt to hype more sourced bourbon for a ton of money by applying the 'solera" moniker to it. 7yo bourbon with a splash of several older whiskies mixed in and trying to get away with calling it 7/21 to promote the sliver of 21yo whiskey it contains. Going for something in the $125-$130 range.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19887[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19888[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]19889[/ATTACH]

I liked the regular Hooker House bourbon finished in pinot noir for $35ish. Might be able to get up to $50ish from me for this one. But $125-$130?

Umm, no. :shithappens:

im curious about their stuff. Luckily there's a shop nearby that sells 200ml bottles. The bourbon, rye, and cohabitation are on my list for next year.

Could not do the 200.00 for this. Like the bottle and presentation though.

[ATTACH]19897[/ATTACH]

Hmmm... interesting, first I've heard of that stuff, but yeah @ $200 I'd pass..(I think)

Hmmm... interesting, first I've heard of that stuff, but yeah @ $200 I'd pass..(I think)

Been a gift shop release for awhile now. Seems it's now making it's way out to the wild.

http://www.beamsuntory.com/news/press-releases/jim-beam-releases-limited-edition-distillers-masterpiece-bourbon-just-in-time-for-the-races#.VIsi-ivF_Z0

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!