What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

But it comes in a fancy box! :lol:

(And honestly, I bought one last year and thought it was pretty great).

I don't doubt that it's good stuff; I've seen plenty of positive reviews of it. I just can't see spending $170 for the opportunity.

I've passed this one up before as well, probably a year ago. It was enlightening to learn that I CAN display discipline and I DO have my limits.

I've passed this one up before as well, probably a year ago. It was enlightening to learn that I CAN display discipline and I DO have my limits.

Hey, me too! I demonstrate my willpower every time I don't buy bourbon that I don't want.

The latest I have seen, nothing actually from a distillery source, but where there's smoke, sometimes there is fire. Apparently the regular 100 proof SB will no longer be available for Private Selection. The 10 recipes at barrel proof will be available for private selection, but the price has gone up significantly.

I have an email from the distillery stating that the 100 proof selections are going away.

Also looked at pricing on newest batch of barrel selections. Nearly a 20% increase in price. We still have a fair amount left at $50 but they will be over $60 when more arrive early next year.

I have an email from the distillery stating that the 100 proof selections are going away.

Also looked at pricing on newest batch of barrel selections. Nearly a 20% increase in price. We still have a fair amount left at $50 but they will be over $60 when more arrive early next year.

thats not surprising.

and with how much you guys rave about it, $60 is still reasonable for what it is.

Passed on a ORVW 10/107, first and probably only sighting of the van winkle line this year. It was kind of hidden behind the counter at a local shop that has never got any of the limited releases. When asked what he could grab me, I pointed it out and said I'll take that. He rang it up at $349, I laughed and said no thanks and asked if people paid that for them. Apparently people had no problem with high prices here, he said he got $2200 for the 23 year and $1400 for the 20 years he had.

Well there's the proof I was hoping would not materialize. Over 60 is going to make this a hard sell to me if I can't taste first. I have savored/loved and enjoyed my tour de 10 Roses but there were a couple I didn't care for (one I just couldn't drink on its own) vatting solved that issue but above a certain $ amount I will not roll the dice and it appears they have hit that point for me. I am glad I stocked up with known quantities when I had the chance.

I hope this doesn't foreshadow similar moves for the standard line-up.

Passed on a PHC8 for $120, thought about it for a bit but didn't, took an ECBP for $38 instead.

Interesting that a store will gouge on one hard-to-find bourbon and discount another.

Well there's the proof I was hoping would not materialize. Over 60 is going to make this a hard sell to me if I can't taste first. I have savored/loved and enjoyed my tour de 10 Roses but there were a couple I didn't care for (one I just couldn't drink on its own) vatting solved that issue but above a certain $ amount I will not roll the dice and it appears they have hit that point for me. I am glad I stocked up with known quantities when I had the chance.

I hope this doesn't foreshadow similar moves for the standard line-up.

Not to be a party pooper, but the standard offering have also seen a recent price surge here in the homeland. I saw the single barrel "on sale" for $32.99 in a couple of stores this week.

MMCS for $55... The name of the store selling it was Discount Liquor. Ummmm, let me learn you a lesson in English please.

Passed on OWA at $39.99. I think I'm giving up on this store.

Yep, that whole price list was troubling.

Yep, that whole price list was troubling.

But, they have an "embarrassment of whiskey riches" to share. I have noticed ads for another local retailer whose name rhymes with "Sayless" now compare their pricing favorably to this retailer whose name rhymes with "Big Ed." Names withheld to protect the guilty.

Edited by mbroo5880i

MMCS for $55... The name of the store selling it was Discount Liquor. Ummmm, let me learn you a lesson in English please.

Yeah......that's an easy pass.

Total Wine here had it for $62.99. I was flabbergasted and passed on it. DBM (member here) finally asked a store manager why it was so overpriced and the manager discovered that it was a clerical entry error and that the price really should have been $39.99 so the price was changed at all the local stores. Funny thing is that even at that higher price, they were selling out of it. Enough people were willing to pay that price instead of looking around and finding it at BevMo for $20 less.

But, they have an "embarrassment of whiskey riches" to share. I have noticed ads for another local retailer whose name rhymes with "Sayless" now compare their pricing favorably to this retailer whose name rhymes with "Big Ed." Names withheld to protect the guilty.

Anymore, count me as "pass up" on both these chains of stores. The first chain recently took over a lot of stores. Since then, high prices on basically everything. The second chain has normal prices on the most common stuff. If they get anything slightly out of the ordinary, they price it around 200 - 300% msrp. On a positive note, there are several smaller chains around Indy that do things like: charge msrp for hard to find stuff, select nice barrels, stock a nice variety, make me want to return.

Passing on Willett 10 year at $120 - I loved Willett when it was $50 or $60 and even at $70. But no way am I paying $120 for something that last year cost $70. I may miss out on some really good bourbon but it's too rich for my blood.

Passed on PHC7 at $109 and PHC8 at $95. I can't seem to understand PHC7. Every limited release under the sun flies off the shelf in 30 seconds, but PHC7 seems to be sitting around. I know of at least 3 stores that have some.

Also, left some HWMWND on the shelf. I wanted to save some cash for the other fall releases since I have one already.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!