What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's amazing how this thread has evolved over a couple years. Used to be mostly limited bottles mentioned. Now it's crazy prices or everyday bottles.

Since I made the mistake of doing a physical inventory I'm limiting my Dec purchases to one bottle a week. Therefore I will be passing up numerous bottles for the month.

My last visit to a stoare was last Friday and since that was still November I did pick up two bottles.

Saw a Woodford Four Wood, but with all of the generally negative reviews for all things Woodford MC, it was a pass.

Passed on the Beam cask finished at 199 probably not a bad price since it's state controlled but I'm not putting that much into something I have no taste experience with.

WFE 7 year barrel proof rye at 114 proof for $90. some here may think that is reasonable, but not me. maybe $60 would be reasonable. Is $90 the going rate around the country for this now?

I wasnt looking to buy anything anyway. I was going in to the grocery, and louisville's second largest chain was literally next door, so I walked in to see if there was anything new, or to see what holiday gift boxes were out this year. Lots of reasonable bourbon giftboxes containing glasses, flasks, or samples of sister bottlings at decent prices from MM, KC, 4R, WT, etc. the KC with 50ml sister bottles of KC rye and KC maple was tempting....but like I said, I had no intention to buy anything anyway.

WFE 7 year barrel proof rye at 114 proof for $90. some here may think that is reasonable, but not me. maybe $60 would be reasonable. Is $90 the going rate around the country for this now?

It's amazing how this thread has evolved over a couple years. Used to be mostly limited bottles mentioned. Now it's crazy prices or everyday bottles.

I don't participate in the secondary market but I watch it and there are enthusiasts who sell/trade bottles from deep bunkers and/or recent purchases. There are enthusiasts who buy three Staggs and sell one to pay for the other two. Honestly I can't say I wouldn't be tempted to do the same. Imagine finding the full VW lineup available at MSRP, fat chance I know, and knowing you could buy it all and flip the 23 covering your cost and leaving extra money in your pocket. Hard for a guy like me with limited funds to turn that down. It's a dick move in that it takes a 23 at MSRP away from a guy who wants it but it allows me to fund my hobby. Tough call. Can't be an angel all the time.

The more hot air we force into it the harder the bubble will burst, and we won't have to point fingers at each other anymore because there won't be a worthwhile secondary market left.

It can't happen too soon for me.

Passed on numerous WT Diamond and some hyper inflated Van Winkle stuff, as well as $600 BTAC bottles. Most entertaining price of the night wasn't bourbon, but still worth listing for big laffs: Black Maple Hill Oregon Rye for $169.99. And Willett XCF or whatever for $148.

went to a business event with Mrs Fox tonight. The choices were WR, BH, and OF86, so I went with water.

Wow, that is the lowest price I have heard of for the XCF. But I would have passed as well.

Best regards, Tony

My buddies brother bought a case of XCF that was priced to sell at $35. Seems to have been marked at the Willett bourbon price point. I haven't been that lucky myself.

Passed on Pappy at retail ... just not buying the hype and generally haven't been a huge fan of wheated bourbons.

went to a business event with Mrs Fox tonight. The choices were WR, BH, and OF86, so I went with water.

Hah.I went to a wedding recently and asked the bartender what bourbons he had. He grabbed the JB and a glass without answering, so I then asked, "Do you have anything else?" He didn't, so I opted for wine instead.

My buddies brother bought a case of XCF that was priced to sell at $35. Seems to have been marked at the Willett bourbon price point. I haven't been that lucky myself.

At that price I would buy one without trying it, but also would have passed at $120 (or even half that).

Passed on the Beam Distiller's Masterpiece at $200. I don't see myself paying that much for NAS Beam finished in Sherry casks.

Passed on a few "higher end" bottles today. FRSmBLE, WT Tradition, etc. Just not interested. Preferred to stock up on standard bottles.

OWA shop barrel pick for $59.99. It was $22.95 3 weeks ago. And the same barrel. I'm/was a regular customer at this shop. WTF!

Ted

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!