What bourbon did you pass up today? Fall/Winter 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Passed on a boatload of OWA at my local. Reasonably priced at $27 but I remember not long ago when it was readily available at $19.

Passed on Pappy at retail ... just not buying the hype and generally haven't been a huge fan of wheated bourbons.

Really? And you don't have any friends you could gift or trade? That's just strange.

Really? And you don't have any friends you could gift or trade? That's just strange.

I probably could have ... but I left them there for those who wanted them. Keeping my "frequent customer points" in my back pocket for something I'll drink.

Passed on EH Taylor Small Batch at 67.99! Am I missing something or confused? I thought that price was way out of line for the small batch.

^^^^^That is crazy for Small Batch. That's the typical price for Single Barrel, and I don't think it's worth it for that one, though I like it.

Yeah, I was thinking that must be the CEHT SB price. You would think with Bar Codes and UPC labels that mispricing would be difficult. Of course, they could be selling the SmB for that price. If so, someone is going to over pay for the tube.

Passed a Stagg Jr at 125, guess I need to go back to the place I walked into a few days ago where there was one for 61that I passed.

Yeah, I was thinking that must be the CEHT SB price. You would think with Bar Codes and UPC labels that mispricing would be difficult. Of course, they could be selling the SmB for that price. If so, someone is going to over pay for the tube.

Yes they have different bar codes. Poor inventory management if someone couldn't tell the difference.

Lots of high end wines lack bar codes. We just make one up and slap a label on them.

The biggest issue arises with beer. Many breweries use the same barcode for seasonals. Sometimes they are priced differently. Often times we discount an old seasonal to get rid of them. When the new one arrives, we forget to change them from the discounted price. I almost always notice it when ordering the following week. Items with 0% margins stick out like a sore thumb. l

Didn't get anything at a PVW/BTAC lottery today. So, I guess I didn't pass it up, it passed me.

not really a bourbon, but passed on 4 bottles of 2012 Lot 40 rye today on a clearance shelf for $46 each. I know nothing of them, and didnt want to chance it at $50 out the door. what do you guys think of this label and price?

...AAA10yr,Michter's 20yr..($600)5,7,9 yr(I think those were the yrs) WFRR and the new WXCF or something like that --($140ish),and MWD (forget the act).

not really a bourbon, but passed on 4 bottles of 2012 Lot 40 rye today on a clearance shelf for $46 each. I know nothing of them, and didnt want to chance it at $50 out the door. what do you guys think of this label and price?

I think it's worth the $40 I paid, but not more (and I didn't stock up).

...AAA10yr,Michter's 20yr..($600)5,7,9 yr(I think those were the yrs) WFRR and the new WXCF or something like that --($140ish),and MWD (forget the act).

How much is the semi dusty AAA10yr handle going for in your area Don?

No way I would have passed it at anything close to reasonable. :rolleyes:

I like it Doug. Nothing exceptional about it; it's a balanced, approachable and well refined rye. Not as sweet and spicy as baby Saz and also less dry wood influence IMO. Easy drinking neat, or with a few drops.

With the mark down and current availability issues (as well as cost) of other rye's, I've actually bunkered a few. Probably would make a good vat, but I haven't tried that yet.

I would select baby Saz over this, as it's 'tastier' as well as cheaper. Unfortunately, baby Saz is as hard to find as anything else BT at the present. :frown:

Edited by Paddy

I was out and about today and stopped in the large chain store here to see what holiday gift boxes they had..... practically nothing. Prices kinda sucked too. Booker's at $52? Kroger's even has it on sale for $45, why the big store that does nothing but booze cant compete, I dont know. Most everything there was higher than the local pharmacies too, by $5 and more. Kinda laughed when I saw WR single barrel....as if regular WR wasnt overpriced anyway for what it is, you can now get it, at the same exact proof, for $15 more, at $60. Shouldnt single barrels be offered with something different than the base bourbon thats usually offered? Way to keep me as a non-customer, BF!

I passed on Willet XCF after tasting it. The Curacao really comes out in the bourbon- definite orange flavor. It's smooth, but definitely not worth the price. It's kind of strange to me- I don't want orange-flavored bourbon.

How much is the semi dusty AAA10yr handle going for in your area Don?

No way I would have passed it at anything close to reasonable. :rolleyes:

Hey Paddy, a liter is going for around $22, it's ok stuff , I find it rather bland myself.Bought me a case of it earlier in the yr.

Hey Paddy, a liter is going for around $22, it's ok stuff , I find it rather bland myself.Bought me a case of it earlier in the yr.

Good price, but it sounds like you're already set! :lol:

Would love to stumble upon a few here at that price...

:)

Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon 10 Year $ 799.99

Van Winkle Bourbon 12 Year Special Reserve Lot B $ 999.99

Pappy Van Winkle's Bourbon 15 Year Family Reserve $1399.99

Pappy Van Winkle's Bourbon 20 Year Family Reserve $1799.99

Pappy Van Winkle's Bourbon 23 Year Family Reserve $1999.99

:)

Old Rip Van Winkle Bourbon 10 Year $ 799.99

Van Winkle Bourbon 12 Year Special Reserve Lot B $ 999.99

Pappy Van Winkle's Bourbon 15 Year Family Reserve $1399.99

Pappy Van Winkle's Bourbon 20 Year Family Reserve $1799.99

Pappy Van Winkle's Bourbon 23 Year Family Reserve $1999.99

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!