What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 2014/2015

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nah, I just should've rounded up:skep:... and poured 5 fingers. :grin:

Going back to the Baker's tonight, as I've been away from the Beam profile for a while and this seems to be firing on all cylinders.

I have a new found appreciation for Baker's. I bought my first bottle of it back in the summer when there was a lot of discussion about it here. I liked it fine, but it didn't grab me in any particular way that you expect a bourbon at that price point should. Numerous follow up pours were the same. I took that 2/3 full bottle (along with some others) on the road to our annual Thanksgiving getaway and something wonderful happened with it. I kept going back to it over the others and was getting this maple syrupy goodness that led to me going back the bottle every day until it was empty.

It shall be replaced.

Started with Weller SB Blend and followed with a big ol pour of some ORVW107. The Rip 10 yr has been excellent the last couple of years.

I am also enjoying the ORVW 10yr - in celebration of the Seahawks victory and clinching the #1 seed in the playoffs. I'll probably keep it in the wheat family for the rest of the night. I'm predicting that some WLW and PH8 are in the plans though I may call an audible.

My son was in Waukegan this weekend so I had him stop at Binny's. He picked up a Tom Foolery Ohio Straight Bourbon, Binny's Barrel Select #30 and Maker's Mark Cask Strength. I enjoyed a pour of both. I posted more detailed tasting notes on the Tom Foolery Bourbon in that thread.

WT 101. This has been a very pleasantly surprising bottle for me: it's everywhere and not badly priced (which is becoming more and more of an impressive and unusual characteristic), and it has a nice big nutty rich flavor that is much richer than in the Russell's Reserves I have had (regular and single barrel).

I am also enjoying the ORVW 10yr - in celebration of the Seahawks victory

+1..........only for the Packers instead of Seattle

Baker's tonight, as I've been away from the Beam profile for a while and this seems to be firing on all cylinders.

we share many bourbon tastes, Paddy.....so I may have to revisit Baker's. I enjoy KC, KCSB and Booker's, but often overlook Baker's for whatever reason.

I polished off the low HHBIB gold, leaving me with the following opens: OE101, a newly opened 2014-6 Booker's, a Dickel 9 year, and an EC12 that I just plain dont care for (dont think it tastes like any EC 12 Ive had before, which I usually enjoy. This was a Kroger store pick though, so maybe I just dont care for the selectors tastes, though I do note people noting a wide variance in bottlings of EC12 and HMCK10 on the forums)

Celebrating a dominant Cowboys win with some HWAP, then moving to some GTS in anticipation of attending a home playoff game next weekend.

4R LE Small Batch 2014. Though not quite at the level as last year's, this still works for me in a huge way. I've been careful with this one because I could easily go on a binge and finish it too quickly.

Followed up my 4RLE SmB with some WTRB 112 and some 4R PS SB OBSK 9yr 4mo. The Rare Breed, which usually sings for me, was just OK. I think I was simply in a 4R mood tonight. (Don't tell Fox), because the OBSK is tasting like the finest bourbon I've ever tasted. I'm exaggerating of course, but that's how it goes when you are in the mood for something and it's firing on all cylinders.

Opened my second bottle of a store select ER10 and really enjoyed pour after pour watching three great college football games yesterday.Well they were great if you weren't a fan of the BIG12 or 10.

Trying BabSaz for the first time since I finally found it on a shelf. It's a pleasant change of pace from my regular pours. Will probably follow it up with some EC12 for some contrast.

had a fat pour of EC12 store pick (just to speed up getting rid of it......note to self: no more store picks from Krogers), then a pour of Baker's that I got yesterday. Liking it more than the first pour last night. I'll hold judgement until Im halfway through the bottle at least. Kind of a maple-cinnamon thing on the nose, and a nice finish, but the in-between part has me undecided.

4 fingers of Baker's ('cause I'm too lazy to get up:grin:), and I've come to the realization that I'm in the sweet spot on this bottle.

Too bad, I've only got a couple of pours left in it. :frown:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!