What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 2014/2015

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Continuing my trend of ETL and 4R SmB in order to stay low proof and let the taste buds recover. Everything is tasting normal again and it's been a good run since both bottles hit the recycling bin this evening.

I get into low proof pours for about a week at a time. Easy, no palate fatigue, tasty, no time consuming experimentation with water, no thought required.

Then I go back to barrel proof, remember what I'm missing and start geeking out on bourbon again.

I get into low proof pours for about a week at a time. Easy, no palate fatigue, tasty, no time consuming experimentation with water, no thought required.

Then I go back to barrel proof, remember what I'm missing and start geeking out on bourbon again.

Last evening, a nice 9 year old 1792 store single barrel. Still distinctive 1792, but more age and complexity (and a bit less 'funk') than the standard 1792. Good stuff at $30 per bottle.

ETL last night for me. I know everyone says the same thing, but ETL is just a damn fine pour time after time. I think $40 is a very fair price and anything below that is a bargain.

I am also enjoying it more now that I have a couple bottles in reserve. Funny how that works. No stress about potentially finishing off my only bottle and not being able to easily find a replacement.

Last night I had my first pour of a 4R OBSK 10 Yr. I enjoyed it but can't wait to see how it does after opening up a little more.

A friend bought a couple of bottles of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked Single Barrel at the Liquor Barn in St. Matthews over the weekend. He loves the stuff and wanted me to try it. He also knew that I am fond of this Liquor Barn's (they are not related to the larger chain located in Louisville) barrel selections. I was wanting to wait until the weekend to try it but he has asked me every day if I have tried it yet. Not to be rude, I thought I should try it.

While I like regular WR, I rarely buy it because I don't I consider it over priced relative to other options. I have never tried WRDO much less WRDOSB. I have to say that I really like it! I expected the WR profile and there is a hint. However, I find it to be slightly spicier yet sweeter at the same time. The nose has a slight hint of brown sugar and vanilla. It is faint at first but kind of builds. The initial sip has a hint of spice followed by a sweeter flavor as it moves through the palate. It has a far creamier mouthfeel and flavor.

Since this is a single barrel (really a single barrel of batched bourbon), I am not certain how this bottle compares to the standard WRDO or other WRDOSB. I will say that I am pleasantly surprised. While I don't know what he paid, I believe it is worth the $50 price range that I typically see it at. I think 90 proof is just about right for this flavor profile, although it would be interesting to try it at higher proofs (even if just 93 or so) to see how it holds up.

I really liked the one bottle of WRDO I had (much better than standard WR, which is fine but not much different from Old Forester for the money). There are others I'd rather have in its price range, but I enjoy it.

Having my first go at Makers 46 from a freshly opened bottle. Can't say I'm feeling it just yet. Detecting how young it is and it's not tasting very balanced. As usual, I'll give it plenty of time to adjust and oxidize after being opened so I'll keep revisiting it.

Sighhhhhh............well, tonight's the night of trying new things. This time, Michter's Toasted Barrel Finish. You know, I've made some dumb decisions in my short journey thus far, but one thing I had managed to do was avoid all Michter's products, until now. I had read some positive reviews about this one and found it at a good price relative to what I had mostly seen, so I said, why not, maybe some extra barrel time will turn this into something good, so I took a chance. I'll tell you what it tastes like - the product of one of our local craft distillers that micro barrels their distillate to "speed up" the aging process. Stupid, stupid, stupid.......I won't make this mistake again. Shame on me.

Finally feeling better after a run of the flu for over a week, so I had a pour of some 4r SmB Le, Wow, damn good stuff, so I went in for another.

I have to say that I really like it! I expected the WR profile and there is a hint. However, I find it to be slightly spicier yet sweeter at the same time. The nose has a slight hint of brown sugar and vanilla. It is faint at first but kind of builds. The initial sip has a hint of spice followed by a sweeter flavor as it moves through the palate. It has a far creamier mouthfeel and flavor.

Since this is a single barrel (really a single barrel of batched bourbon), I am not certain how this bottle compares to the standard WRDO or other WRDOSB. I will say that I am pleasantly surprised. While I don't know what he paid, I believe it is worth the $50 price range that I typically see it at. I think 90 proof is just about right for this flavor profile, although it would be interesting to try it at higher proofs (even if just 93 or so) to see how it holds up.

Some 1792 RR after several days without. Seems a bit oaky to me, so my olfactory must still be screwy

Enjoying a sample of 2014 ORVW 10 year that someone kindly sent to me. I'm enjoying this more than this year's Lot B.

Finally feeling better after a run of the flu for over a week, so I had a pour of some 4r SmB Le, Wow, damn good stuff, so I went in for another.

I know what you mean. First time I've had the flu in 30 yrs but after a week and a half my taste buds are coming back and every sip of this AAA10* is just delicious.

Going economical tonight. Johnny Drum black label to start. Bought this a year ago before I knew much and it's just OK. Finally decided to work on it and try to get through it. Will follow with some OGDBIB which will suit the bill very nicely.

Some Old Scout, which makes me wonder why I bought it.

SAOS is one of my favorite pours right now. Guess that just goes to show ya how different folks' palates can be.

Tonight, I started out with some WSR, then an OGD114, and finishing with a Hudson 4-grain that my wife bought. I'm just not feeling the Hudson though.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!