What bourbon are you drinking? Winter 2014/2015

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started my NFL Playoffs watching with standard 4R SmB. Sometimes the basics are called for and fit the bill famously.

Looks like watching the NFL playoffs is the activity of the evening. Started out with a 2 ounce 50/50 pour of ECBP/EC12 with a touch of water to take it down to 105 proof. Following up with a 2 ounce pour of Vine & Table WFE 9 Yr, 129 proof with a touch of water to take it down to 105 proof. Both have been excellent pours! I finished with a 1 ounce pour of Crown ER10. That's enough for tonight!

Edited by mbroo5880i

some Baker's while getting ready to hit the sack. it's growing on me. It still can't compare to Booker's to me, but its not really fair to compare a 107 and a 130 proof whiskey, though they are the same age and same distillery, so maybe it is fair to compare

Thanks for the notes! I think I'll order some Larceny. Nothing to lose really.

Depending on your cost, Larceny is a great bourbon. I know you can find it in Illinois for around $20 (Binny's, Walgreens). In Indy, it ranges between $25 and $28. Personally, I prefer OWA, then WL12, both of which were $28 when they were most recently available in Indy. However, Larceny is pretty good and, because of availability and price, it makes a great mid shelf wheat bourbon. I definitely prefer it over MM or WSR.

Depending on your cost, Larceny is a great bourbon. I know you can find it in Illinois for around $20 (Binny's, Walgreens). In Indy, it ranges between $25 and $28. Personally, I prefer OWA, then WL12, both of which were $28 when they were most recently available in Indy. However, Larceny is pretty good and, because of availability and price, it makes a great mid shelf wheat bourbon. I definitely prefer it over MM or WSR.

Strange that Larceny costs more in Indiana. IN usually destroys IL in pricing. One of the few benefits of living in IL, I guess.

It isn't distributed in Washington State so I will have to order it and pay shipping. That's not all bad though because shipping costs for us can actually be less than the taxes we would pay here. I can shop around and find the least expensive price.

Opened a bottle of the 4R SB BS OESV I picked up at P&M over Christmas. 9 yrs 9 most and 119.6 proof.

Fruit on the nose and finish. Add this to the list of recipes I'd buy again and glad I picked up two when I was there.

Rock Hill Farms is some amazing stuff may I add. Maybe one more pour and I'm going to have to put this bottle away for awhile.

The Wood Guy barrel 1 from Smooth Ambler. 8 years old. Selected for our store by Bill Dowell with an assist from Doug Phillips.

A little Russell's Reserve 10-yr tonight. Haven't had this one in a while but with a bit of water, it's very tasty.

Store select FR OBSQ store select, 8 years 8 months, 59.2% w/ a couple drops of water

OBSQ is one of my favorites. Just curious, which store?

OBSQ is one of my favorites. Just curious, which store?

There's no name on it, so its not my regular store or Binny's. I think it's from Prestige Liquors in Westmont, IL. I don't shop there anymore, pappy price gouging + you have to buy like 4 -8 other BT products even to pay the gougy price. This bottle was sitting around for a while

I had someone stop in Binny's to pick up a few items last weekend. I didn't see any FR store selects on their website with I thought was interesting.

Went to the Colts game today and didn't drink anything but soda. Enjoying a few pours of Larceny tonight to celebrate the Colts win.

been doing serious heavy computer stuff all day, so's recent WT Rare Breed, recent WT Kentucky Spirit, and recent G.T. Stagg helped with last several hours of work. Couldn't have done it without this assistance from Turkey and George.

I've been having hellacious anxiety issues lately, and in an attempt to discover a trigger, I am giving up bourbon, caffeine, and sugary drinks for a few weeks to see if any of those are what's kicking my ass. but, i imagine its the job....

I will live vicariously through you guys until then, so drink lots of Dickel 9 and Booker's!

It's the job, it's always the job. It's amazing the effect stress can have on a body, but I don't have to tell you that.

Besides, just to play devil's advocate, you would be better served keeping a constant while cutting out other variables to better isolate the potential cause. If it wasn't the job, that is. But it's the job, it's always the job...

Edited by dcbt

The Wood Guy barrel 1 from Smooth Ambler. 8 years old. Selected for our store by Bill Dowell with an assist from Doug Phillips.

What is "The Wood Guy barrel 1"? I assume it's SAOS SB? How was it? I love SAOS, so I imagine it's really good stuff.

Edited by Fort Knox

I've been having hellacious anxiety issues lately, and in an attempt to discover a trigger, I am giving up bourbon, caffeine, and sugary drinks for a few weeks to see if any of those are what's kicking my ass. but, i imagine its the job....

my suspicion is that this will cause my general health, and the original anxiety issue itself, will go even more 'up', and the weight will go down. never wanted to be more half right than here now!

I will live vicariously through you guys until then, so drink lots of Dickel 9 and Booker's!

You work in a high stress profession so I'll echo the others and predict it's the job. It's probably something you will grow into and get used to. I agree with squire - don't be too hasty!! Bourbon is relaxing.

Seriously, I hope you figure it out quick.

What is "The Wood Guy barrel 1"? I assume it's SAOS SB? How was it? I love SAOS, so I imagine it's really good stuff.

It is a barrel selected by Bill Dowell aka The Wood Guy. He is a carpenter by trade with a military background and a great nose for bourbon. He and Doug go back a ways and are good friends. I bet they spent 40 plus hours taking notes and sampling these barrels. From 18 barrels at the distillery to 5 take home samples and ultimately 2 that they selected.

There were two barrels yielding 314 bottles. Bill took half and we are selling the rest. 8 year old barrel strength. Only 50 or so bottles remain after only 3 days.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!