What beer are you drinking? Winter 2014/2015

whiskeyagonzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2011 is a great DL vintage^^^^^^^^^nice. I had a 2014 Dark Horse BB Plead the 5th, a top notch barrel aged RIS.

Really shouldn't have, but having a glass of Avery Tweak after work. Looks gorgeous, smells of coffee and bourbon, tastes of coffee, chocolate, bourbon and booze. Finish it expresso-ish with some heat from the alcohol. Nice but needs some aging to really settle down. The bottles in my cellar will be getting a do not open until 2016 sign.

2011 is a great DL vintage^^^^^^^^^nice. I had a 2014 Dark Horse BB Plead the 5th, a top notch barrel aged RIS.

I've also had a few bottles of BBPT5 lately. Dark Horse did a great job with this beer.

• 2 weeks later...

WWS is on my list to try. I've heard it's great.

Yesterday I got to try the ATG London Balling (BBA English-style barleywine). Very tasty stuff if you can find it.

I graduated college in 2006 and a friend gave me two bottles of Dark Lord from that year to commemorate. I drank one and decided to save the other for later. Still have it. That its almost 10 years later is unsettling.

In other beer news picked up a sixer of sierra nevada's new India Pale lager. My guess is that it will be...very much a SN beer. I really wish they'd do a tamer pils style beer like the Vienna lager they did recently but I guess when people grab SN they expect hops.

A friend sent me an Alpine Beer Company Nelson, their IPA. This is perhaps the best IPA I've had. Top three for sure. Can't get it up here so I'm one and done. Boy was it good though.

Dogfish Head Raison D'extra. Enjoyable. Thick, boozy and sweet. Not sure the $9 retail per bottle price tag is justified but it is 18% abv.

I like this one better than 120.

Dogfish Head Raison D'extra. Enjoyable. Thick, boozy and sweet. Not sure the $9 retail per bottle price tag is justified but it is 18% abv.

I like this one better than 120.

Is it similar to the regular Raison D'Etre? That one was OK but not one I would go to regularly.

Obviously if it is 18% it has to be denser and more syrupy but is the flavor similar?

I did stumble onto several DFH Bitches Brew's left over from last fall so I look forward to those!

Had a few Creature Comforts Reclaimed Ryes the other night. Delicious. New-ish brewery from Athens, GA. Their IPA is supposed to be great as well. They are canning, but not sure if they are in any stores in Atlanta yet.

Had a few Creature Comforts Reclaimed Ryes the other night. Delicious. New-ish brewery from Athens, GA. Their IPA is supposed to be great as well. They are canning, but not sure if they are in any stores in Atlanta yet.

I picked up a bomber of the Southerly Love, a sour ale, a few days ago but haven't had a chance to try it yet. So apparently they are bottling a few things as well.

I've been making near weekly trips to a brewery local to me - Tighthead Brewery - for growler fills. They make a very worthy IPA called Irie that comes in at around 7.8% and a lighter, well-hopped wheat beer called Chilly Water that is also very good. They made an excellent Belgian IPA last summer called Springtime in the Galaxy - I look forward to its return. Right now they have a mosaic IPA called Bears Choice that is quite awesome. Malt that showcases mango and grapefruit while retaining sweet hop notes on the palate with only a slight meaty bitterness towards the finish. It's a world class IPA IMO.

Is it similar to the regular Raison D'Etre? That one was OK but not one I would go to regularly.

Obviously if it is 18% it has to be denser and more syrupy but is the flavor similar?

I did stumble onto several DFH Bitches Brew's left over from last fall so I look forward to those!

The bigger brother of d'être. A sipper for sure. Raison and carmelized sugar. Much thicker than its sibling.

Will age well.

I bought some more St Bernardus ABT 12 and Weihenstephaner today. When putting away the latter in the fridge, I realized I'm anal enough to use a FIFO system. I had a few lingering bottles in the fridge still that I moved to the front and put the newly purchased bottles in the back so that I'd drink the older ones first. Anyone else go out of their way to ensure this?...

I had my first Short's Cup A Joe stout tonight. It was the best non bourbon barrel aged stout I have ever had.

I also had a Wizard Burial Ground from Brewery Vivant tonight. That was pretty damn good as well.

Had some Stone Enjoy By 2-14-15 with lunch today and some Founders Dark Penance while relaxing tonight.

GL Conway's Irish is on the shelves now, a little earlier than I would expect it. I drank some over the weekend and I think it's their best batch since 3 years ago. It might be due to the fact that it's super fresh, but nice bready malt, not too sweet and those GL mineral notes on the finish make this one of my favorite GL seasonals. I don't normally drink red or amber ale because it's usually too sweet for me, but this one is an exception. My beer drinking has veered towards the more dramatic profiles of Imperial beverages, be they A/IPA, stouts or barleywines. It's nice to be able to appreciate a less muscular beer in this one.

One of my favorite times of the year.

074104cecdf5cff43c39d4eb654e92ce.jpg

Pretty darn good this year!

Some friends and I (all of us hopheads who love double IPA's) did a SBS between Hopslam and Mars and it went 3 out of 4 in favor of Mars. I so fhope Bells will bring Mars back after the Planet series is over...

This Baltic porter is 10%. It doesn't taste like it. But wait till its done and then stand up. Now that's a different story. :)

I really liked the bottle of Mars that I had. I'm waiting for Saturn, a barleywine. Due some time in April.

Mars has been the only of the planets series that has really impressed me. I'm looking forward to Saturn as well.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!