What beer are you drinking? Winter 2014/2015

whiskeyagonzo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yes I made it, it was a True Brew Pale Ale kit. Turned out really great for my first beer. I have a Magic Hat #9 clone in the primary now.

Yes I made it, it was a True Brew Pale Ale kit. Turned out really great for my first beer. I have a Magic Hat #9 clone in the primary now.

Nice! Congrats. Now let's work on the bourbon?

I used to make beer for a few years. I had to quit because I always had 24 cases of 500 ml bottles on hand at all times. It was getting a little bit out of hand.

that is a nice looking beer you got goin on there I must say. Do you prime with Malt? or Corn Sugar? or is that CO2 Injected and then aged thig?

Local brewery had a beer release over the weekend for their 3rd anniversary. Three different barrel aged porters: an orange rum truffle, Mexican chocolate, and espresso. Had all of those and a few other goodies they had on draft. Now, a Hi-Res at home.

I was there Sunday. Had an hour before a nephews bday party. Spent first 30 min in line. Very good draft offerings. Espresso barrel aged black gold porter tastes like coffee and not much else.

A little beer fest on Sunday night for President's Day!

attachment.php?attachmentid=20312&stc=1

A modest little flight of beers from my bunker with the exception of one home brew that a friend makes from his "Mostly Harmless" Brewery and a Starr Hill Stout.

More or less in order:

Karmeliet Tripel

Blackberry Farms Classic Ale, Farm Saison and "Screaming Cock" (a Belgian style dubbel)

Westmalle Dubbel (to compare to the Blackberry Farm. The Blackberry Farm dubbel wasn't bad but was no match for the real thing!)

Brooklyn Black Ops 2013 and 2014 (I tended to like the older bottle each time but this wasn't a blind test)

Boulevard Grainstorm Black Rye IPA from about 2013

Unibroue Tres Pistoles - a stong dark Belgian ale style

Mostly Harmless Brewery Noel Noire (A stout style home brew with spices)

Founders Big Lushious (a raspberry stout and still excellent but my last two need to be drunk fairly soon I think)

Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout

Boulevard Hibiscus Gose

Starr Hill Little Red Roostarr Coffee Cream Stout

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

Also did a coupler of additional comparisons.

Founder's Backwoods Bastard 2013 and 2014

Bourbon County Stout 2013 and 2014

Westvleteren 12 from Belgium versus one sold in the US a while back by Total Wine (not much difference between those two)

I think that was it. Although a little whiskey and cognac also managed to make an appearance! But that almost always happens...

post-8493-14489822047285_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822047285_thumb.jpg

Was there much difference between Backwoods Bastard from 2013 and 2014?

I try to get a 4-pack each year but never held any too long.

Thanks.

Will

Thanks.

Will

Thanks.

Will

I recently purchased a four pack of 2013 and 2014 from Founders during their Cellar Raid week. The 2014 was fantastic! The 2013 left much to be desired. The bourbon notes were a ghost of what they once were. I shared these with two buddies and we all agreed the fresh '14 was waaaay ahead of the '13.

I liked the aged one a bit better. I thought it got more dense for me. But the difference was subtle and it does lose some of the fresh bourbon notes as described. Even now the 2014 is starting to change a bit at 3+ months of age.

back woods bastard better fresh imo...cigar city jai lai, and old lost Abbey (08-10) angels share, deliverance, cuvee de tomme, sinners...

Speaking of beers that age well, I'm sipping on a 2013 BCBS and it is quite nice.

I'm with you on that one. '13 BCBS was very hot when it released. I revisited this two months ago. It had mellowed out some but it was still hotter than I thought it would be considering it had been in the bottle for at least one year. I thought the age made it slightly better.

Lot's of very tasty brews.

Cheers!

A little beer fest on Sunday night for President's Day!

attachment.php?attachmentid=20312&stc=1

A modest little flight of beers from my bunker with the exception of one home brew that a friend makes from his "Mostly Harmless" Brewery and a Starr Hill Stout.

More or less in order:

Karmeliet Tripel

Blackberry Farms Classic Ale, Farm Saison and "Screaming Cock" (a Belgian style dubbel)

Westmalle Dubbel (to compare to the Blackberry Farm. The Blackberry Farm dubbel wasn't bad but was no match for the real thing!)

Brooklyn Black Ops 2013 and 2014 (I tended to like the older bottle each time but this wasn't a blind test)

Boulevard Grainstorm Black Rye IPA from about 2013

Unibroue Tres Pistoles - a stong dark Belgian ale style

Mostly Harmless Brewery Noel Noire (A stout style home brew with spices)

Founders Big Lushious (a raspberry stout and still excellent but my last two need to be drunk fairly soon I think)

Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout

Boulevard Hibiscus Gose

Starr Hill Little Red Roostarr Coffee Cream Stout

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

Also did a coupler of additional comparisons.

Founder's Backwoods Bastard 2013 and 2014

Bourbon County Stout 2013 and 2014

Westvleteren 12 from Belgium versus one sold in the US a while back by Total Wine (not much difference between those two)

I think that was it. Although a little whiskey and cognac also managed to make an appearance! But that almost always happens...

Welcome aboard MTNBourbon. I had some Hopslam earlier. Dug my new favorite beer out of the cellar for drinking tonight. If anyone has never had Avery Tweak, you should try it.

I've had quite a few Avery's over the years, don't believe I've had that one. What style is it listed under?

Cheers!

Dogfishhead 60 minute IPA

Flat 12 IPA

Anything from Three Floyds

Those are brands I go to the most. Smuttynose is another.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!