What bourbon are you drinking? Spring 2015!

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

CEHTBP (135.4) . . . outstanding! Cotton candy, kettlecorn, cinnamon deliciousness! Final pour from a long cherished bottle . . . adios!

I'm back on my project site deep in the Northwest Canadian backcountry where all they have on site is cheap beer and rum. If I want to drink bourbon, I bring it. This trip I was limited to what I could find at duty free and good old WT101 fits the bill nicely so I'm enjoying that while staring at snow capped mountains and deep water fjords.

Finally killed the chilled Ritt out of the fridge so I can open a new Rye from the bunker. The only other rye I have open right now is the vatting in the fridge of Templeton, OGD114 and EC12? I forget and don't have it properly logged in my iphone notes.

Edit: tags don't work but I was way off on the italics:

It is actually 1:1:1 mix of 2 vattings and some more bourbon FC103/Templeton:WT101/Templeton:BT

Now, time for a neat bourbon.... decisions decisions....

4RSmB since it is getting low and I have one in the bunker.

Edited by fozzy71
added bold

Tonight in my on the road bourbon showdown/tour its a battle of the birds, Fighting Cock and WT rare Breed (the 108p version!!). I was really looking forward to the FC as I have never had it. Tried first w/o water and enjoyed it but the nose was more ethanol centric than anything I can recall then i remembered that this one supposedly comes to life with a bit of water, I added a few drops of water and it all came together,damn nice bourbon!! I was getting some nice dark chocolate and roasted nuts. The finish seemed too brief but that's all I found a tad lacking, very impressed with the FC.

I LOVE 108 RB so this was a luxury pour for me and just reinforced all my fond memories of 108p WTRB glad I have some back home to be enjoyed down the line. No point in pitting these against one another one is a great value "bourbon 101" the other is just an all time favorite of mine. A win-win type of evening.

Tonight in my on the road bourbon showdown/tour its a battle of the birds, Fighting Cock and WT rare Breed (the 108p version!!). I was really looking forward to the FC as I have never had it. Tried first w/o water and enjoyed it but the nose was more ethanol centric than anything I can recall then i remembered that this one supposedly comes to life with a bit of water, I added a few drops of water and it all came together,damn nice bourbon!! I was getting some nice dark chocolate and roasted nuts. The finish seemed too brief but that's all I found a tad lacking, very impressed with the FC....

I prefer FC with an ice ball during the one bottle I had. I have another bunkered.

After 5 long days at work, I just watched the end of game 3 of the NBA Finals and poured me a nice Noah's Mill...

...just a great night.

4RSmB since it is getting low and I have one in the bunker.

ER10 now... these two and BT might be my top 3 economical bourbons.

Edited by fozzy71
glad i put on a dermathol thiamine patch

ECBP batch 8 last night. At 139.8 proof, it's no surprise that this one needs some water.

A nice pour of a 'mingle' I made with OF 1870 and a dusty OF 86. Very big improvement on the 1870. I used about 70% 1870 and 30% from the dusty.... Took the rough edge down and made a very nice pour out of the 1870, which I find rough and woody. The dusty is down to about 7 or 8 oz. so I may have to conserve it for better uses. It's great by itself... So Mellow, and butter-scotchy! The 1870 may wind up mingled with some 4-R Sm B or something that will mellow it out withoiut using up my last 'old' OF 86.

Finished off a handle of EW1783 and moved on to some KC. The 1783 is quite adequate as a daily pour but it pales in comparison to the KC.

First bottle of Rare Breed initially did not impress but now that it has been open for a few weeks it has become a fine pour.

Having some BTEC Wheated 12y tonight. This is a throwback to the old Weller 12y paper label. They did a good job picking these barrels. Very good bourbon.

After dinner at a restaurant (well, "a" is misleading - we're there a little more than once a month), I had a KC neat for dessert. After ten years of drinking it followed by five years of skipping it, I'm back to it. Go figure.

Went back to the Jefferson Reserve tonight...still not worth the $50 to me; a little disappointing.

side by side jiggers of my new bottles: KCSB and KCSmB. I tasted them both and had to put some stuff in my bedroom, then came back to my office and wasnt 100% sure which glass was which until I took a too big drink of the one I thought was the SmB and the 120pf told me otherwise. :D

The KCSB is very high on my list of bourbons to try. I have had the standard KC several times and always enjoyed it. VERY curiou

s how the SB compares/contrasts.

side by side jiggers of my new bottles: KCSB and KCSmB. I tasted them both and had to put some stuff in my bedroom, then came back to my office and wasnt 100% sure which glass was which until I took a too big drink of the one I thought was the SmB and the 120pf told me otherwise. :D

The KCSB is very high on my list of bourbons to try. I have had the standard KC several times and always enjoyed it. VERY curiou

s how the SB compares/contrasts.

Both are excellent IMO after my SbS. I suppose the SB is better/smoother (even with the higher proof) but both are over my normal comfort zone for price per bottle here. I will enjoy them but once gone I will be happy with my cheaper alternatives/favorites such as 4RSmB, BT, ER10, OGD114, EWBIB, WT101, etc.

On topic: After my KC SbS I had a chilled EWBIB pour from the fridge and just killed off my 4RSmB. Glad I have another bunkered. Next if I drink more will likely be the 4RSB which I need to bunker another of next time I stock up.

rounding out a successful work trip with with a couple favorites from the past week, Larceny and WTRB 108. Now I need to A/B the 108 with the current 112.This week left no doubt that I am a confirmed rye fan after this weeks samples though I knew that already LOL!! I LOVE the WTRB!!

Mellow Corn BIB last night . . . very nice . . . tastes just like the name and has a nice kick.

Last night I had a hankering for Heaven Hill as I sometimes do. 4RYL, ETL and RR Single Barrel were all I had open in my whiskey cupboard. All fine pours, but when I get this craving, only that HH comfort food will due. So I cracked open an EzraB 12yoSB.Never tried this one before. As discussed elsewhere, Ezra B is purported to be HH juice. And I'm pretty sure it is. From the moment I nosed it, there was that beautiful familiar caramel an vanilla comfort food that then gradually diffused on my palate once I tasted. And given the age, there were some more flavor notes beyond the usual cinnamon spice and brown sugar, though I was enjoying it too much to get into the analytical mindset of picking them all out. Given the 12 year age, I took my time with this one as it does take awhile to open up. It will be interesting to see if it improves even more when the bottle is half way down and the flavors really have a chance to open up.

Started with some BT on the rocks in the swing in the pergola with Mrs. F. Wrens came to feed their chicks in the bird house right over our heads. Moved on up to some RHF neat. Can't help wondering what this would be like at barrel proof.

Right now just some JB BIB, while I was making a trap for some critter that came into my pond a few days back and ate 16 out of my 21 goldfish that I have been breeding. This batch was about 8 generations old, had the pond for over 17 yrs. and never lost a fish, it all made up for it this yr.I was really bumming, so I thought I solved the problem and made a better hiding place for them, and then put out 8 more fish...2 days later another 6 gone!!! I went and bought a trail camera and set that up and got traps set up now, I think it's a muskrat,....freakin varmit! I took all the remaining fish out till I fix the problem, there was some good news out of this, yesterday I was looking in the water and saw all kinds of babies! So they did their duty before they got ate.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!