What bourbon are you drinking? Spring 2015!

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Right now just some JB BIB, while I was making a trap for some critter that came into my pond a few days back and ate 16 out of my 21 goldfish that I have been breeding. This batch was about 8 generations old, had the pond for over 17 yrs. and never lost a fish, it all made up for it this yr.I was really bumming, so I thought I solved the problem and made a better hiding place for them, and then put out 8 more fish...2 days later another 6 gone!!! I went and bought a trail camera and set that up and got traps set up now, I think it's a muskrat,....freakin varmit! I took all the remaining fish out till I fix the problem, there was some good news out of this, yesterday I was looking in the water and saw all kinds of babies! So they did their duty before they got ate.

If the problem does not go away, buy a couple of heavy duty Rat Traps and bait with some new, cheap gold fish!

Having a nice pour of Woodford Double Oaked and I have to say after the bottle has been open for 3 months (about half full) it is the best I remember this bourbon. If I keep liking it the way it tastes tonight, I might have to get another one.

Having some PHC8 and I can't get a grip on it. Some days I love it, some days I hate it.

Finishing off a bottle of Angel's Envy . . . been sitting around for over a year. Nothing really wrong with it, just didn't reach for it very often. Guests seemed to like it well enough.

Finishing up the evening having a little of my Weller 12 and Weller Antique 107; honestly I have to say that I like the Antique better. To me, it is easier to drink and one can really experience the wheat in this bourbon.

KCSmB and HMcKBIB

E8LeWpg.png

Edit to add:

off topic: anyone here ever used the forget hangovers transdermal patches? I ordered 12 off amazon and put one on tonight. reviews seemed positive

On the topic of hangovers, I find the best remedy is staying hydrated. If that doesn't work, some ibuprofen and and Pedialite the next morning cures it for me. As a wise SBer once told me: Pedialite, it's for sick kids and hungover parents.

The forget hangovers patch worked surprisingly well.

I found a cheaper alternative. Can't beat it for ~$1 per patch.

Edited by fozzy71

had some BT and then revisiting some NDP bottles I probably shouldn't have bought, WPS and Breckenridge. not bad, but probably would've rather spent money on other bottles.

I broke down and picked up a bottle of the Stranahan's Diamond Peak whiskey.

First impression was "Black Pepper Whiskey". Not in a bad way, just different and not what I was expecting.

I've never had their standard offering, so maybe this is the Stranahan's profile.

I broke down and picked up a bottle of the Stranahan's Diamond Peak whiskey.

First impression was "Black Pepper Whiskey". Not in a bad way, just different and not what I was expecting.

I've never had their standard offering, so maybe this is the Stranahan's profile.

Yah, pepper comes up a lot with Stranahan's. I get it in the regular bottling but not as strongly as in the Diamond Peak which I got to try and compare to the regular bottles I have at the recent GBS International Whisky night.

I dove into my Stagg Jr. Batch 4 (132.2) last evening, and the results were promising. Unfortunately, I don't have any other batches open right now, and I don't recall anything about my taste of Batch 3, but I am well aware of the good reviews on Batch 3. I am inclined to say that Batch 4 is along the lines of everything I have read about Batch 3.

Recalling the heat and burn of Batch 1, Batch 4 went down easier without dilution. When I added water and probably brought it down to about 110-115 proof, the flavors really shined through and this was what I imagined they intended for Stagg Jr. Whereas I usually find ECBP a little "darker" in its flavors (still great though), I found the Stagg Jr. Batch 4 to be "warmer" with cinnamon, fruit, spice, caramel, etc. Really nice IMHO.

So assuming my thoughts are on the right track, Stagg Jr. Batch 4 continues the right path of Batch 3 and becomes a much more compelling option than many competing bourbons these days, at around $50 and actually available on shelves at least for some amount of time.

Edited by jeffrey r

Been on a SAOS 7yr for the last couple of nights and I suppose that will go into the weekend.

Well with the exception of Sat/Sun morning when I have some OGDBIB.

Tonight finishing off some Eagle Rare Single Barrel.

Nice coincidence. I am too. :cool: It's tasting pretty darned good tonight.

Enjoying some EW1783 10yr, while eyeballing some higher proof options to follow

Nice coincidence. I am too. :cool: It's tasting pretty darned good tonight.

Awesome! Yup, tasting pretty good tonight.

Pulled an OC 12 classic 90 out of the bunker tonight. This one is better than I remember from years past. Tim

04 EWSB. Tasting just right tonight while watching the US Women's World Cup game. Good week for sports with World Cup and NBA Finals Good viewing while drinking.

You guys made me want ER10 so that is what I am having now after testing out my Alberta Rye Dark Batch. I am getting low on this bottle and too low on BT offerings in general for my taste. I think a trip to the store is in order for some store picks of BT, another ER10 or 2 and this isn't BT juice but I want to grab another 1792 as I haven't had that in a couple months. I also want to grab an AAA10* if they have it but I have only seen that at one or two stores and not sure if the place with the store pick BT's has it.

Edited by fozzy71

Drats, I picked up a sinus infection earlier in the week. Tonight, I tried a small pour of a FR OESO/FRSmB blend. It tasted like sickeningly sweet cough syrup. It had a slightly sweet taste anyway so I opted for a small pour of WL12. It tasted exactly the same as the previous pour...like sickeningly sweet cough syrup. I thought I would give one more small pour a try just to make sure. I tried a small pour of Stagg Jr. 129 proof. Same taste. I think the medication has wrecked my palate for awhile. It is funny because I haven't noticed much change in the taste of food or snacks. It is just bourbon. :(

Starting with some OBSQ 121 proof. Gonna move onto some Stagg Jr then maybe SAOS barrel proof [emoji3]

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!