Our ongoing observations about whether the boom has peaked

BigBoldBully

The boom is going strong in Japan as well.

The unreasonably high prices right now make me wonder some days if I should sell some of the really rare stuff in my collection just to cash in on the hysteria. The thing is, I would really prefer just to drink the stuff.

Mark my words, two to three years demand will slow down.

It's been in the 90's all week here in ATL. I predict that we'll see highs in the 80's and even as low as the 70's within 3 to 4 months. ;)

Of course no one can predict whether the World market for Bourbon will continue to expand but if it does the days of limited availability and higher prices will continue as well.

I mean, Four Roses and Buffalo Trace may grow their facilities but can only supply so many LEs and Antique Collections, all of which will be quickly soaked up by the great Bourbon sponge of the World market.

When EWSB 2005 is depleted in about 6 months, it shows the boom is still in full effect.

With the Japanese owning Jim Beam, I heard from a distributor that some of their top bourbons might be tough to get in the future (Booker's, Baker's, etc...); I hope not.

There is a simple solution to this, we get a wine magazine to give a odd brand of GIN a 99.99 rating and soon all the hipsters will be drinking gin.

With the Japanese owning Jim Beam, I heard from a distributor that some of their top bourbons might be tough to get in the future (Booker's, Baker's, etc...); I hope not.

It only makes sense to ship to the most profitable market. Not to say the home market is taken for granted because for the most part we do have alternatives, but we're not going anywhere either.

It only makes sense to ship to the most profitable market. Not to say the home market is taken for granted because for the most part we do have alternatives, but we're not going anywhere either.

Your right!!! We do have alternatives and because we do, we should start a big, big, negative buying champagne, against all Beam products, here in the USA, until they start distributing a fair share, of the good stuff, here in the USA! You all may think that the idea is crazy, however, as crazy as it may seem, if we band together and really shut down on buying Beam products, after a couple of months, it will get their attention. We have lot's of other choices!

Umm, perhaps, but my righteousness indignation only goes so far. I can be assuaged by reasonably priced BIBs (or their 100 proof equivalent) and an uptick in Rye proof.

This is when we are at our worst...A guy posts that he heard from a guy in the know that the largest bourbon distillery's most desired products are going to be in short supply because that distillery was purchased by a foreign company. So, we now run with that for 99 yards to finally get to the point that we feel the need to start a grassroots effort to boycott this company's products...:rolleyes:

Gentlemen, you need to go inside and get out of the sun...

How about we stop buying Sazerac, Four Roses, Wild Turkey, Brown-Forman and even Heaven Hill as they too send the good stuff overseas. I know...that leaves us the crafts and uh...I guess Diageo...as they already screw everybody in every country.

This is when we are at our worst...A guy posts that he heard from a guy in the know that the largest bourbon distillery's most desired products are going to be in short supply because that distillery was purchased by a foreign company. So, we now run with that for 99 yards to finally get to the point that we feel the need to start a grassroots effort to boycott this company's products...:rolleyes:

but..but..but Joe......... I want to get my panties all twisted up into a knot :grin:

Your right!!! We do have alternatives and because we do, we should start a big, big, negative buying champagne, against all Beam products, here in the USA, until they start distributing a fair share, of the good stuff, here in the USA! You all may think that the idea is crazy, however, as crazy as it may seem, if we band together and really shut down on buying Beam products, after a couple of months, it will get their attention. We have lot's of other choices!

Where I grew up, we called that 'pissing up a rope' but don't let this naysayer get in your way. Have at it.

Like I said, most will think it's a crazy idea! Tell me what else the consumer can do to get a message across.

Well, the objective of my quote was to relay some information I got first hand; I love the top shelve JB products and will always have (as long as the product is available) a Booker's and Baker's in my bunker. What is frustrating to me though is that I have to travel back to my home country of Germany in order to buy a bottle of Weller 12 because I can't get it in Kentucky. I understand the world economic picture, but still can express my displeasure not to enjoy a product that is made in my backyard.

Edited by JvW

Like I said, most will think it's a crazy idea! Tell me what else the consumer can do to get a message across.

Johnny doesn't that presuppose they actually give a rip about our messages?

While I would love to have access to some of the major distillery's nondomestic offerings, especially some of the FR and EW offerings, I still have plenty of affordable options available. My guess is some of the nondomestic offerings helped keep some of the distilleries going during lean times at home and in return have helped reinvigorate the bourbon boom here. How likely would it be that Suntory and Kirin would have purchased U.S. distilleries (which I think is a good thing) if U.S. bourbon didn't have a presence in the Japanese and other markets? I absolutely believe that absent Kirin, FR would still be a bottom shelfer.

You don't have to boycott to send a message. You can buy the products that represent good value to you.

Your message can be about supporting what they're doing right, of which there remains plenty.

Now there's a thought, supporting the brands we like does encourage the producers to keep the pipeline flowing.