Our ongoing observations about whether the boom has peaked

BigBoldBully

people dropping out of the collecting will just be replaced by another group of people. I expect more of a plateau than a bottoming out of the market

2 hours ago, Whiskey Dick said:

people dropping out of the collecting........

As has been said many times here, the primary problem is the number of people treating a consumable as a collectible.

Had the day off and decided to go Bourbon/Beer hunting. I searched for a local beer called Surly Darkness that is barrel aged and very popular. Couldn't find it anywhere so i decided to stop in at the Surly Brewery to try a pour. Two mid Twenties kids were sitting next to me and this was their conversation...Millenial 1-"I only got 9 bottles of BA Darkness so far", Millenial 2-"I got a case and a half but have a couple more stops". Take into consideration Darkness sells for between $23-$30 a bottle. No wonder why I didn't get one. I made another stop at a liquor store that is known for Bourbon. The guy next to me asked the clerk, "I'm looking for anything Weller or Pappy". The clerk went to check on something. I noticed the bottom shelf was loaded with special reserve for $25. I told him it was a Weller product. He asked me if it was popular. I told him it was OK but I had other suggestions for $25. Right then the clerk walked up and told the guy it was his lucky day and they had alot of WSR and hadn't got any in awhile. The guy asked me for a suggestion. I saw a Pikesville close by and told him although it wasn't a Wheated bourbon I would take it over 2 bottles of WSR any day. He made a comment how the shelf was full of Pikesville and it must not be rare and preceded to load all the WSR in his basket.

On 2/5/2017 at 1:00 PM, The Black Tot said:

Yeah, they totally = a lot of us :) Didn't want to speak for everyone here though - not everyone has half a liquor store in their basement where they go to turn off the lights and cackle, rocking back and forth compulsively.

Well, I don't turn off the lights - too many sharp objects and breakables in there.

1 hour ago, Bbstout said:

Had the day off and decided to go Bourbon/Beer hunting. I searched for a local beer called Surly Darkness that is barrel aged and very popular. Couldn't find it anywhere so i decided to stop in at the Surly Brewery to try a pour. Two mid Twenties kids were sitting next to me and this was their conversation...Millenial 1-"I only got 9 bottles of BA Darkness so far", Millenial 2-"I got a case and a half but have a couple more stops". Take into consideration Darkness sells for between $23-$30 a bottle. No wonder why I didn't get one. I made another stop at a liquor store that is known for Bourbon. The guy next to me asked the clerk, "I'm looking for anything Weller or Pappy". The clerk went to check on something. I noticed the bottom shelf was loaded with special reserve for $25. I told him it was a Weller product. He asked me if it was popular. I told him it was OK but I had other suggestions for $25. Right then the clerk walked up and told the guy it was his lucky day and they had alot of WSR and hadn't got any in awhile. The guy asked me for a suggestion. I saw a Pikesville close by and told him although it wasn't a Wheated bourbon I would take it over 2 bottles of WSR any day. He made a comment how the shelf was full of Pikesville and it must not be rare and preceded to load all the WSR in his basket.

It is amazing the price per bottle of some brews today.  I can absolutely guarantee that I will never pay more than $10 for a bottle of beer and only on a special occasion.  I am with you. I would prefer one bottle of Pikesville at $40 over 2 bottles of WSR at any price (well, except maybe $10 per bottle).  At $25, there are several bottles I would take over WSR.

I was at a store today where a lady walked in and said "I'm looking for the surly anniversary beer" (incorrectly referring to the surly darkness. I couldn't help to shake my head. I also suggested Old grand Dad to the pappy hunter and once again he dismissed at as not popular. Some of the prices of these barrel aged stouts are getting ridiculous. I'm trying to maintain self constraint. I see the bubble bursting on BA stouts priced at over $20 when longtime beer enthusiasts like myself stop paying these overinflated prices. I will continue to support ethical breweries like central waters that puts out solid BA stouts for around $3-$4 a bottle when the the bubble ends.

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

It is amazing the price per bottle of some brews today.  I can absolutely guarantee that I will never pay more than $10 for a bottle of beer and only on a special occasion.  I am with you. I would prefer one bottle of Pikesville at $40 over 2 bottles of WSR at any price (well, except maybe $10 per bottle).  At $25, there are several bottles I would take over WSR.

Is WSR gone over $20?  It was a far cry from OWA.   I didn't think it drank at its price point in recent years. 

I can't quite explain it.  WSR falls way short of the other Wellers.  WSR belongs somewhere in between regular Rebel Yell and MM.

20 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I can't quite explain it.  WSR falls way short of the other Wellers.  WSR belongs somewhere in between regular Rebel Yell and MM.

IMO, Rebel Yell (standard bottle) is much better.  It still baffles my mind why people search out WSR and pay more than $15.  I think the Weller name tricks people into thinking they have something. 

I totally get it. Even when it was readily available, and age stated, it was never a big mover.

It's amazing to see the transformation over time and how popular it is now, with only a thin connection to greatness bringing it along for the ride.

And, yes, like everybody I watch this from the bunker shouting "muahahaha"

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm always happy for BT when WSR sells - it's their cheapest and fastest wheater to produce - that has to be nice and profitable for them, and that's where the worst wheater barrels get blended into so that we can have nicer OWA and above!

Roll on, sales of WSR!

On 2/10/2017 at 0:18 AM, PaulO said:

I've felt the same but I went back to a bottle a month or so ago on my quest to empty some bottles and it was just outstanding so much so that I'm planning to replace it.   

I'm probably one of a relatively small number of folks that actually enjoy Weller SR. Regular SR is just fine to me, but I do have to admit that I've been spoiled a little because of a few places that have done private selections of it over the last few years. 

Cheers! Joe

32 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm probably one of a relatively small number of folks that actually enjoy Weller SR. Regular SR is just fine to me, but I do have to admit that I've been spoiled a little because of a few places that have done private selections of it over the last few years. 

Cheers! Joe

I'm there with ya, Joe, though I admit to not having tried the NAS version. I still have some 7yo WSR and think it's very good. like liquid candy. The only NAS bottle I've found here recently was $30 so I haven't tried it yet.

Was on vacation in Fort Myers recently and walked into one of the bigger stores on the main drag and could hardly squeeze into the bourbon section. 4 store employees were in the aisle helping people. Three of those customers were not bourbon enthusiasts but were on the phone with someone back home who was. Total freaking chaos as each of them gets a name from the other end........Do you have Weller 12? No, how about OWA? No, how about this, no how about that? Let me check the computer, no. How about........

Something has to break soon but I'm afraid it's the distillers and supplies. Nothing can stand that kind of pressure.  

1 hour ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

Was on vacation in Fort Myers recently and walked into one of the bigger stores on the main drag and could hardly squeeze into the bourbon section. 4 store employees were in the aisle helping people. Three of those customers were not bourbon enthusiasts but were on the phone with someone back home who was. Total freaking chaos as each of them gets a name from the other end........Do you have Weller 12? No, how about OWA? No, how about this, no how about that? Let me check the computer, no. How about........

Something has to break soon but I'm afraid it's the distillers and supplies. Nothing can stand that kind of pressure.  

It is interesting to visit stores in vacation areas and watch the interactions.  I am probably guilty of strange behavior too.  I walk in all cool and stroll around casually, rarely asking for help, unless I perceive the odds are good they might have something of interest.  Of course, being on vacation or traveling, I usually pick up something.

The bourbon peak is probably no where near but I did watch a lady taking pictures of standard bottles with her cell phone the other day at a grocery store.  I thought it was odd.  Not sure if she was sending them to someone.  

3 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I have to admit I ask my wife to look around for me when she travels for business.  I usually just email her a list with the last item being any store selects.

Haha. I remember driving home from a cross country trip about three years ago, with my car sagging so much under the weight of bourbon in the trunk and back seat that I was worried the back tires were going to rub against the wheel wells.

Nonetheless managed still to tetris in that last 6 case of 1.75L W12s. They called me crazy.

Well...I AM crazy, but for the next decade at least I can be crazy with a prepaid glass of W12 in my hand.

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Haha. I remember driving home from a cross country trip about three years ago, with my car sagging so much under the weight of bourbon in the trunk and back seat that I was worried the back tires were going to rub against the wheel wells.

Nonetheless managed still to tetris in that last 6 case of 1.75L W12s. They called me crazy.

Well...I AM crazy, but for the next decade at least I can be crazy with a prepaid glass of W12 in my hand.

Do you have any photos of that sagging car? There's probably a meme waiting to be made.

1 minute ago, flahute said:

Do you have any photos of that sagging car? There's probably a meme waiting to be made.

By the time the car was loaded, the camera was buried in the back seat somewhere. I'm afraid it has to be filed under the category of amusing memories.

I'm sure I'll be back at it come glut 2.0

9 minutes ago, flahute said:

Here ya go...That's Harry in the passenger seat...:D

image.jpg

Edited by smokinjoe

1 minute ago, smokinjoe said:

Here ya go...That's Harry in the passenger seat...:D

image.jpg

:lol:

And Harry's trying to remember if there any more secret compartments left in the trunk to fill.

Reminds me of the time that me, Vosgar, and one of our friends went in to Binny's right before Xmas a number of years ago. We had my Aztek loaded to the brim with booze. So much so that Gary could barely squeeze in the back seat. :P

I really like my Kia Sorento, but I must admit there are times that I miss my Aztek. :(

Cheers! Joe

18 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Reminds me of the time that me, Vosgar, and one of our friends went in to Binny's right before Xmas a number of years ago. We had my Aztek loaded to the brim with booze. So much so that Gary could barely squeeze in the back seat. :P

I really like my Kia Sorento, but I must admit there are times that I miss my Aztek. :(

Cheers! Joe

That's why I have a Land Rover.  Lay those seats down and you could probably fit an entire pot still in the back. . . . hmmm, maybe I should try that.:D