Our ongoing observations about whether the boom has peaked

BigBoldBully

I just did a drive down the Parkway and couldn’t help but notice all the new Rick houses along the way. Interesting is that they all resembled pole barns.  What’s up with sheet metal sides on all the new rick houses? To think that all the millions of new barrels are gaining these nasty looking buildings is intriguing.  Will it affect the way the barrels age?  Will it affect the flavor imparted into the juice?  When I heard about all this new production I just thought it would all be done in the traditional way.  Things certainly are changing.  

26 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I just did a drive down the Parkway and couldn’t help but notice all the new Rick houses along the way. Interesting is that they all resembled pole barns.  What’s up with sheet metal sides on all the new rick houses? To think that all the millions of new barrels are gaining these nasty looking buildings is intriguing.  Will it affect the way the barrels age?  Will it affect the flavor imparted into the juice?  When I heard about all this new production I just thought it would all be done in the traditional way.  Things certainly are changing.  

I’m reflecting back on what I’ve seen in rickhouses, and most seem to have been metal clad.  Some brick, some stone, but most metal. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

The oldest rickhouse at Wild Turkey is metal clad. The Beam rickhouses are metal clad. The HH rickhouses are metal clad. Willett too.

I'm not sure where you see tradition being shunned.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, flahute said:

The oldest rickhouse at Wild Turkey is metal clad. The Beam rickhouses are metal clad. The HH rickhouses are metal clad. Willett too.

I'm not sure where you see tradition being shunned.

No kidding?  I thought all the old Rickhouses were stone or brick and wood.  Thanks for the correction!

1 hour ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

No kidding?  I thought all the old Rickhouses were stone or brick and wood.  Thanks for the correction!

Buffalo Trace are mostly brick. Woodford has the stone one they tour you through and some other brick ones nearby. Castle & Key has the old brick one. Old Forester has brick in Shively. The old Old Crow had stone.

It takes all types!

• I like it 2

That’s why I love this forum. There’s so much to learn and this place is one of the best, if not the very best place to gain knowledge about our love of bourbon.  

It looks like Beam Suntory is going above and beyond normal advertising to continue to stimulate the boom. Anyone who subscribes to Whisky Advocate recently received this Bonus Issue that is "an independent editorial product of Whisky Advocate created with the support of Beam Suntory". I'm by no means slamming this 100+ page issue, it contains a lot of informative material along with the tasting club stories and I enjoyed reading most of it. The reason I bring this up is that it couldn't have been a cheap date for them to sponsor a magazine like this. Granted, all of the alcohol pictured and talked about is Beam Suntory whisk(e)y so it's great advertising, but I can't imagine them doing it if the boom wasn't going strong with a promising outlook of continued growth.

WA.jpg

• I like it 5

5 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

It looks like Beam Suntory is going above and beyond normal advertising to continue to stimulate the boom. Anyone who subscribes to Whisky Advocate recently received this Bonus Issue that is "an independent editorial product of Whisky Advocate created with the support of Beam Suntory". I'm by no means slamming this 100+ page issue, it contains a lot of informative material along with the tasting club stories and I enjoyed reading most of it. The reason I bring this up is that it couldn't have been a cheap date for them to sponsor a magazine like this. Granted, all of the alcohol pictured and talked about is Beam Suntory whisk(e)y so it's great advertising, but I can't imagine them doing it if the boom wasn't going strong with a promising outlook of continued growth.

WA.jpg

Better then " you can have whiskey or friends" I guess. Whiskey is better with friends is like saying water is wet when it is 33 degrees or more.

• I like it 1

I feel like Squire, Zen arrived.  I love the boom.  People chase whatever, like any WT product, while I quietly drink this super good Rare Breed enjoying the moonlight.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure Coronavirus cannot survive in whiskey.

Pass it on...

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

Pretty sure Coronavirus cannot survive in whiskey.

Pass it on...

60-70% alcohol is the ideal level for disinfection. Coincidence?

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks we may finally be seeing the peak of the bourbon bubble. With news that Jack Rose is putting its entire 2700 bottle collection up for sale (as our own Harry posted elsewhere) to me this is a legit sign.  Obviously the owner of Jack Rose thinks it is about time to cash out.  He's probably right.

18 hours ago, Kepler said:

Well folks we may finally be seeing the peak of the bourbon bubble. With news that Jack Rose is putting its entire 2700 bottle collection up for sale (as our own Harry posted elsewhere) to me this is a legit sign.  Obviously the owner of Jack Rose thinks it is about time to cash out.  He's probably right.

He may be right; but, maybe more because of the pandemic than the diminution of the Bourbon Boom/Bubble...?   Just a thought....

28 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

He may be right; but, maybe more because of the pandemic than the diminution of the Bourbon Boom/Bubble...?   Just a thought....

Yes good point.  But economic fallout of this pandemic is going to change a lot of things.  Dominos fall.

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Kepler said:

I am surprised because it is Jack Rose but when it might actually be easier to find WLW than toilet paper, I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Edited by TwoFingers
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Yes good point.  But economic fallout of this pandemic is going to change a lot of things.  Dominos fall.

I 100% agree. Boom over. 

• I like it 1

16 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I 100% agree. Boom over. 

Or, boom...paused?  

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Or, boom...paused?  

Just drinkin' down The Bunker right now.  Might take a couple of lifetimes to empty this puppy!   ?

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Just drinkin' down The Bunker right now.  Might take a couple of lifetimes to empty this puppy!   ?

Well, all you can do is keep a stiff upper lip, raise your glass and keep on tryin', eh Frank?  ?    Fight the good fight, as long as you're able, right?  ?

• I like it 2

Have there been other spirits that boomed and then peaked? How did that look after the boom was over?

14 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Have there been other spirits that boomed and then peaked? How did that look after the boom was over?

Well........bourbon the last time.

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Or, boom...paused?  

We can only hope that's what happens. Not because of the bourbon boom, but for the good of the overall economy.

• I like it 2

The Boom is Dead!  No way it can continue. First off, we have multiple states completely shutting down. Liquor Stores closed. Distributors are now idled in many areas. Cases of bourbon are stacking up everywhere.  Unemployment is ramping up at an insane level. Many are expecting it to top out somewhere between 30-50%.  When/if these people get there jobs back they will be way behind on their bills and all that “fun money” they used to buy expensive bourbon with simply won’t be there. Couple all that with the fact that ALL the majors have greatly increased production and we now have a glut. Plus this is a world wide epidemic. Goodbye Asian demand as well. It’s over. For that matter, I’m wondering if it’s not time to crack open my good bottles. Imagine dying from this virus and leaving behind amazing bourbon that I never tasted. Every thing is going to be different going forward.