Our ongoing observations about whether the boom has peaked

BigBoldBully

Individual product market "busts" rarely play out the way folks think they will.  Usually it happens before people realize what's actually happened.

This global virus pandemic WILL have long lasting effects, ... just sayin'.

Peoples' everyday habits will change.  They ARE changing even as I write this. The bourbon chasing and tater behavior is being interrupted... (to be replaced by other things?) ... I would say "probably,  yes" and that the boom as we knew it will be "over" and likely will be replaced by something less frenetic and less "boom-like". 

But only time will tell.  Stay safe my bourbon brethren! ?

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

11 hours ago, Kepler said:

Individual product market "busts" rarely play out the way folks think they will.  Usually it happens before people realize what's actually happened.

This global virus pandemic WILL have long lasting effects, ... just sayin'.

Peoples' everyday habits will change.  They ARE changing even as I write this. The bourbon chasing and tater behavior is being interrupted... (to be replaced by other things?) ... I would say "probably,  yes" and that the boom as we knew it will be "over" and likely will be replaced by something less frenetic and less "boom-like". 

But only time will tell.  Stay safe my bourbon brethren! ?

I hope so, exciting to think on for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

what have you folks seen re shifting supply lines from restaurant and bars to stores? I have heard from some NC friends that they are finding things on the shelf that recently were behind the counter. Here in CO I have seen a bit more CEHT, Blanton's, Weller, and some others on the shelves. Not drastic though. I was able to get a liter of Weller 12 from a bar manager on the DL. The other bars and restaurants I had a connection with and knew they had some good stuff said they were holding on to their stocks for now.  

44 minutes ago, steven s said:

what have you folks seen re shifting supply lines from restaurant and bars to stores? I have heard from some NC friends that they are finding things on the shelf that recently were behind the counter. Here in CO I have seen a bit more CEHT, Blanton's, Weller, and some others on the shelves. Not drastic though. I was able to get a liter of Weller 12 from a bar manager on the DL. The other bars and restaurants I had a connection with and knew they had some good stuff said they were holding on to their stocks for now.  

Not yet. The distributors are still sitting on the LE's. Not sure what they are waiting for.

17 hours ago, flahute said:

Not yet. The distributors are still sitting on the LE's. Not sure what they are waiting for.

?      ? ? ?<<<——?? 

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Sketchy behavior 

Which part?

Presumedly sitting on the LEs so others can get the hookup.

Edited by mal00768

4 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

Presumedly sitting on the LEs. 

I wouldn't call it sketchy. It's a calculated decision that on premise accounts will come back on line and be able to sell these in the more highly desirable high visibility setting of bars and restaurants.

At some point though their inventory will be high enough, and the prospect of this years releases soon enough, that they will start sending these to retail.

Keep in mind that they do this every year. Late in the summer if they still have inventory because on premise didn't re-order as much as anticipated there will be a "second drop" at retail. It's been consistent. Given the current situation and the fact that reopening will be slow, customers will be slow to come back, and that unfortunate possibility that some place will go out of business, I can't see any situation where they would sell through their remaining stock.

That is why I asked what they were waiting for.

• I like it 2

17 minutes ago, flahute said:

That is why I asked what they were waiting for.

All the stimulus checks to go out?

sorry, I’ll stop ?

• I like it 2

It’s been a free-for-all on difficult and allocated bourbon at retail pricing while Single Malt Scotch has ground to a halt. I’ve been passing on offered bourbons to date— knowing that that smoke always leads to fire. 

A lot of local restaurants are starting to offer up their allocated bottles thru raffles or other means. Some of them are even selling off open bottles. One had a unique idea where you buy the bottle at retail but you also buy a gift certificate to their restaurant for the secondary value of the bottle. The GC can only be used once they are fully opened back up.

6 minutes ago, Clueby said:

A lot of local restaurants are starting to offer up their allocated bottles thru raffles or other means. Some of them are even selling off open bottles. One had a unique idea where you buy the bottle at retail but you also buy a gift certificate to their restaurant for the secondary value of the bottle. The GC can only be used once they are fully opened back up.

I like the gift card idea thought it comes with some risk if the place goes out of business if the shut down goes on for too long.

On 4/24/2020 at 10:34 PM, Marekv8 said:

It’s been a free-for-all on difficult and allocated bourbon at retail pricing while Single Malt Scotch has ground to a halt. I’ve been passing on offered bourbons to date— knowing that that smoke always leads to fire. 

What magic land do you live in?

I'm not quite sure where to post this, but here it is.  I was in a grocery store today that sells a lot of liquor.  They really raised the prices on certain items, like $12 more for Rare Breed.  Some other stuff got a big bump too.  Other items were still a good deal.  Did I miss something?

On 4/25/2020 at 1:11 PM, flahute said:

I like the gift card idea thought it comes with some risk if the place goes out of business if the shut down goes on for too long.

I really liked this idea until you pointed this out.  My favorite restaurant in our city just permanently closed yesterday :(

Edited by afmadd
spelling

On 4/26/2020 at 10:31 AM, FasterHorses said:

What magic land do you live in?

My experience is with FasterHorses.  In VA abc land the allocated products seem to be going faster than normal, since people don't have to be at their workplaces during the weekdays.  Though there does seem to be more of the allocated products.

On 4/24/2020 at 5:48 PM, flahute said:

I wouldn't call it sketchy. It's a calculated decision that on premise accounts will come back on line and be able to sell these in the more highly desirable high visibility setting of bars and restaurants.

At some point though their inventory will be high enough, and the prospect of this years releases soon enough, that they will start sending these to retail.

From what I have gleaned I think this is correct.  Illinois shelter in place is through end of May and many of the expected release dates are June 1 and June 15.  

While on this topic I do have another unpopular theory to toss out there.   The 2020 fall LE season will have extremely limited retail availability.  On premise accounts are going to make a big fuss and push for larger allocations to make up for the early year deficits.  Those that depleted their bars during the shutdown will need to re-stock etc . . .   Already  hard to find bottles are going to become even scarcer.  

On the flip side, I feel like this whole situation has actually helped "zen" me out a bit faster.  I had already planned on dialing it back this year, but now it's even more pronounced.

• I like it 2

25 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

While on this topic I do have another unpopular theory to toss out there.   The 2020 fall LE season will have extremely limited retail availability.  On premise accounts are going to make a big fuss and push for larger allocations to make up for the early year deficits.  Those that depleted their bars during the shutdown will need to re-stock etc . . .   Already  hard to find bottles are going to become even scarcer.  

Could be true. On the other hand, if a certain number of bars and restaurants go out of business while those that do re-open have to do so at limited capacity for a while combined with people's reluctance to go back to normal for a certain period of time, sales of on premise LE's will be down across the board.

Not sure which way it will go.

• I like it 6

^^^^Open or not, I'm not going to be hanging out a my local watering hole (or restaurant for that matter) long enough to enjoy a drink. ;)

• I like it 2

I wonder with the economy taking a down turn, will exuberant spending on luxury goods slow dramatically.  Bourbon production can take years to adjust.  I can't see bars or restaurants selling anywhere near the same volume of high end pours when they open.  For the time being, those bottles will have to go somewhere.  

• 1 month later...

Someone posted this in a local FB group. People have lost their minds if they're paying $50 for proofed down white dog, let alone if it's posted for $299 on some secondary site. But it's rare, so it must be a collector's bottle, right? 

20200619_222126.jpg

Edited by JCwhammie