Our ongoing observations about whether the boom has peaked

BigBoldBully

Meh. It's good for US whiskey's reputation to rise up and take legendary status next to the old single malts in the $25K space.

I've got a Bulleit Rye that they can have for 15 grand...

1 hour ago, The Black Tot said:

Meh. It's good for US whiskey's reputation to rise up and take legendary status next to the old single malts in the $25K space.

I've got a Bulleit Rye that they can have for 15 grand...

I got a Templeton Rye complete with horsie embossed on the bottle and opened only once.  Only two ounces poured - one consumed.  Offers?

FWIW, I was making up a delivery order SUN-MON (as no one store had all that I needed/wanted).  Prices of a lot of stuff seems to have stabilized.  For example, OGD BIB was $18.99 if I hunted a mere five years ago.  Now, locally, it has consistently been around $23-24 for two years or so.  In other words, sympathetic creep (a medical term - look it up if you wish) seems to have plateaued here.

It is also a surprise to me that I haven't seen all that many store picks hawked via the email lists I subscribe to.  Anybody in the bidness have an explanation?  Like, is the store pick market THAT dependent on foot traffic?

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I got a Templeton Rye complete with horsie embossed on the bottle and opened only once.  Only two ounces poured - one consumed.  Offers?

FWIW, I was making up a delivery order SUN-MON (as no one store had all that I needed/wanted).  Prices of a lot of stuff seems to have stabilized.  For example, OGD BIB was $18.99 if I hunted a mere five years ago.  Now, locally, it has consistently been around $23-24 for two years or so.  In other words, sympathetic creep (a medical term - look it up if you wish) seems to have plateaued here.

It is also a surprise to me that I haven't seen all that many store picks hawked via the email lists I subscribe to.  Anybody in the bidness have an explanation?  Like, is the store pick market THAT dependent on foot traffic?

At least the OGD BIB is still a bargain.  It's a ton of bang for the buck. I picked one up today, at an ABC store for $21.99. 

• I like it 2

In addition to secondary prices continuing to rise, i was reminded this week just how ridiculous this market has gotten when 2 people I know were engaged in a trade where one individual was trading his Orphan Barrel Archive Collection he purchased for close to $2K for 2 bottles of Rock Hill Farms and an FN Five-seven with a couple of extra boxes of ammo. 

While my example is purely anecdotal, it does make me wonder what other amusing trades are being conducted in a market like this.

On 9/7/2020 at 1:57 PM, flahute said:

This whiskey ranks up there with the best 2 or 3 whiskies I've ever tasted. There is no way I'd ever pay that however!

depends on how much $$ you have to throw away??  I've not had good fortune to taste this one.  But Willett Iron Fist hands down the best whiskey I've ever had.  Fortunately for me, a buddy still has 2 bottles Iron Fist and we do lots of different tastings ... well, pre-covid.

On 9/7/2020 at 1:57 PM, flahute said:

This whiskey ranks up there with the best 2 or 3 whiskies I've ever tasted. There is no way I'd ever pay that however!

What are the other 1 or 2?

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

What are the other 1 or 2?

There's a similar Willett bottled extra age rye call Bitter Truth 24yr old that's in the conversation.

A Chessman from '69 (I think that's when they came out - someone correct me if that's wrong) is in the conversation.

Wild Turkey 8yr 101 from 1974.

16yr wheated from HH that I tasted out of the barrel. It was aged on the first floor middle of one of the Schenley warehouses and was 99 proof out of the barrel. Oh how I wish I could have purchased that barrel.

And last but not least - the Four Roses 17yr OBSV with the mutant yeast. This is one of the components of the 4RLESmB from '12 and '13 that really made those two releases sing. This is also the one whiskey that Jim Rutledge said he wished he had put aside.

I could come up with a few more if I really think about it but those are off the top of my head. I don't know how I'd rank them.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

depends on how much $$ you have to throw away??  I've not had good fortune to taste this one.  But Willett Iron Fist hands down the best whiskey I've ever had.  Fortunately for me, a buddy still has 2 bottles Iron Fist and we do lots of different tastings ... well, pre-covid.

True! If I was Bill Gates I'd probably be inclined to stash a few away. Iron Fist is also a great one! Good to hear you have access to some!

8 minutes ago, flahute said:

And last but not least - the Four Roses 17yr OBSV with the mutant yeast. This is one of the components of the 4RLESmB from '12 and '13 that really made those two releases sing. This is also the one whiskey that Jim Rutledge said he wished he had put aside.

Did this include the 100th anniversary?

Edited by Phil T

24 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Did this include the 100th anniversary?

Those came out earlier and are from a different run.

24 minutes ago, flahute said:

A Chessman from '69 (I think that's when they came out - someone correct me if that's wrong) is in the conversation.

Are you talking about the Old Crow Chess set? If so, I’ve tasted the bourbon from these on a few occasions thanks to fellow members here. Wonderful stuff.

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Those came out earlier and are from a different run.

Dang it man. I have 20 of the 100th anniversary, thought I might be a millionaire! ??

3 hours ago, flahute said:

I could come up with a few more if I really think about it but those are off the top of my head. I don't know how I'd rank them.

You actually got to taste the mutant? You're  killin' me!!

48 minutes ago, Kepler said:

It was so good that it convinced me to pay way too much for a bottle of my own. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

Dang it man. I have 20 of the 100th anniversary, thought I might be a millionaire! ??

Still a great one though! You’re half a millionaire. 

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Well something that good and unique ... I'd have taken the plunge too.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

4 hours ago, flahute said:

This and the “Secretariat” bottle are bucket list “someday” tastes for me.

I found the whole mutated yeast story absolutely fascinating.

Wasn’t into 4R back then.

Luckily I learned the error of my ways.

Now 4R is probably my favorite distillery to study.

The whole place is just a bourbon nerd’s heaven.

I love the whole 12 recipe thing, trying different barrels, the blending, how they play with each other, and the entire warehousing system is complexly simplicated.  ?

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, 0895 said:

This and the “Secretariat” bottle are bucket list “someday” tastes for me.

I found the whole mutated yeast story absolutely fascinating.

Wasn’t into 4R back then.

Luckily I learned the error of my ways.

Now 4R is probably my favorite distillery to study.

The whole place is just a bourbon nerd’s heaven.

I love the whole 12 recipe thing, trying different barrels, the blending, how they play with each other, and the entire warehousing system is complexly simplicated.  ?

If you are ever in Seattle, let me know.

• I like it 2

9 hours ago, flahute said:

If you are ever in Seattle, let me know.

Quit giving me reasons to want to come visit my brother in law.

?

15 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Where do I start?

IMG_5104.thumb.jpg.035f8f548170dacdcbf5786927ec34e9.jpg

I’d definitely say they were in need of a proofreader. ?

3 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I’d definitely say they were in need of a proofreader. ?

Yes, they should have made sure their lottery signage listed a high quality and in-demand bourbon

• I like it 2

I’m not familiar with rusluts, but they sound kinky and intriguing in a mail order bride kinda way!

• I like it 3

15 minutes ago, parksmart said:

I’m not familiar with rusluts, but they sound kinky and intriguing in a mail order bride kinda way!

Pretty sure you should avoid Googling “rusluts”

• I like it 4