What Bourbon did you purchase today? / Spring 2015

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked these two earlier this week:

W.L. Weller Special Reserve 7 Yr. Old

Stagg Jr. 9 Yr. Old (Batch 3)

Had a little vacation to the State of Washington. Bought an OWA for consumption while out there, put a pretty good dent in it but left the remainder with my cousin who lives in Seattle. Came home with a local product, Dry Fly Bourbon 101 - just bought a .375 in order to add something new to the collection, but the reviews I've read are generally positive and looking forward to cracking it open for try. A wheated bourbon. Also grabbed a store select OBSK aged 10+ years - because, hey, can you ever have enough of those?

How did I not know about Ezra's...I live a mile from there. I'll be in tomorrow to pick up the SA Cask Strength. Thanks for the store intro.

You're welcome. Please post a note when you get around to tasting it. I'll do the same.

Ordered an ECBP to pick up Thursday and grabbed his last OGD114 after he told me it goes up $5 first of the month here in MI. Probably going to go check a couple stores I recall seeing it at in the past and grab what they have since I love this neat and it is my go to for vatting of lower proof stuff to kick up the proof/heat.

Not surprised to see OGD 114 getting a price hike after the BIB did a few months ago. I wonder if they're going to mess with the packaging too?

Myself, I picked up a Booker's 2015-03 for $46.99.

did not purchase but received a bottle of JD Silver Select for my 50th Birth Day this weekend along with a few other great gifts for the lounge/cave

Edited by SPHINX06

Picked up a bottle of Elmer T Lee over the weekend. Technically I wasn't supposed to buy anything as I didn't have an empty bottle but since ETL is rather rare in these parts and given the appropriate,um, encouragement I can find an empty bottle, so I bought it.

Oh hey look - an empty bottle! Amazing how that happens.

Made another one of my bi-monthly trips to Binny's this past weekend. Purchased two of the Blackhawks Maker's Mark bottles for my Blackhawks shrine, Pikesville Rye, and FRSB PS OBSO and OESO. I stood in front of the 6 or so recipes they had, trying to remember which ones I had in the bunker. Upon returning home, I realized I had accidentally doubled up on the OESO. I really need to make a list in my phone... Also another Johnny Drum Private Stock for the bunker from another store down the road. Still no Sweet Wheat.

Not bourbon but I also bought the Binny's exclusive selection of Bacardi aged 10 years and the 2015 release of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum.

Jason

Made another one of my bi-monthly trips to Binny's this past weekend. Purchased two of the Blackhawks Maker's Mark bottles for my Blackhawks shrine, Pikesville Rye, and FRSB PS OBSO and OESO. I stood in front of the 6 or so recipes they had, trying to remember which ones I had in the bunker. Upon returning home, I realized I had accidentally doubled up on the OESO. I really need to make a list in my phone... Also another Johnny Drum Private Stock for the bunker from another store down the road. Still no Sweet Wheat.

Not bourbon but I also bought the Binny's exclusive selection of Bacardi aged 10 years and the 2015 release of Sierra Nevada Hoptimum.

Jason

I'll be up there next month. I also purchased that Bacardi, which I'll be picking up. What did you think of it?

While I was up in WI, I stopped by a few stores and picked up EC12, Eagle Rare 10 (8 bucks cheaper than I can get it here), Henry McKenna 10yr BiB (barreled in '03), and Old Forester Signature.

Picked up a 1.75 of EC12 a 3pk sample of Rocktown, and was handed a 1792 sweet wheat(they didn't have it shelved). We'll see if the wheat is worth the hype, and the $33

After reading posts on the BOTM - OGD 114 thread yesterday, I got a hankering. So, today I bought two OGD 114's and one bonded 750. Then, I opened a 114 and had several short pours.

I'll be up there next month. I also purchased that Bacardi, which I'll be picking up. What did you think of it?

Bought a 1 liter of WSR for $25 (never saw it in a liter bottle, only 750's and 1.75's), a 750 of WSR, a 750 of OWA, and a 2006 EWSB barrel #14. May crack that open to see how it compares to the 2004 and 2005. The store had many bottles from barrel #14 and #15, so we shall see if they're any good.

Bought a VOB BiB. Never tried this one so looking forward to it.

BTW I don't like the fact that they left the "6" there on the neck of the bottle even though they took away "years old."

Picked up a bottle as well. Makes a great rum and coke, but didnt like it neat. Would much rather sip Cruzan Singke Barrel, or Mount Gay Extea Old. But well worth the $20 for great rum and coke's

So I already have a back-log of several rums to try, having just gotten into aged rums, so it might be a while before I try it. My thoughts were similar that based on price, even if it doesn't please me to sip it, it will likely be great in cocktails.

Jason

Bought this today

27e94364e71af72ce290938dfaa2a04b.jpg

4811a0143d47f21a7f642f573393f6ba.jpg

Haven't done any research as of yet, no date in the stamp and the bottle date is 1985 which we know isn't reliable.

Who knows what it'll turn out to be....

Bought this today

Who knows what it'll turn out to be....

I'm willing to bet it turns out to be just plain yummy!

Wow, care to tell us the story behind it?

I'm back in my hometown visiting and decided to hit some of the local smaller stores. While in looking for several different brands etc... One is always OFBIB so I asked the clerk and on the top shelf mixed in with other special bottlings was this bottle. He said the didn't carry OF but then said we do have this and put it on the counter. I inspected it and said OK didn't know anything about it but once I saw the date on the bottom showing it was barreled somewhere around 1975 and the Stitzell-Weller name on the neck label I knew I was buying it. $80 later (incl tax) it was coming home with me.

Deliveries today! Most from a recent auction including a mystery rye (to me anyway - anyone have any info??). Picked up the ER17 in a trade.

Rye Royal 20 yr 101 proof (PA -Michters?) Export - no idea what to expect from this. Never heard of it, can't find any record of it. Know who Frank-Lin is, looks like one of their sourced offerings for Japan. Not sure of year? Is the 2-26-5 on the back a date?

Eagle Rare 10 yr 101 proof 50 ml - picked this up because I believe it was bottled in 1977 which will make it the earliest Lawrenceburg/Old Prentice ER I've had the opportunity to taste. Others have been early 80's.

Wild Turkey 101 8 yr 330ml - not sure when this was bottled. No numbers that could be year on the bottom of the bottle and the lot number is L-15-149 11:37. My best guess is late 80's or early 90's. I see some export bottles around that time frame on Whiskeyid that look similar but not sure how long that label was used.

r5dhLhwl.jpg

6X2DsR3l.jpg

Picked up a 2nd bottle of an Eagle Rare private selection that is an absolutely killer pour for $30! Great nose, balance, mouthfeel and finish That left the taste of candy corn in my mouth lingering until the next day. I'm not even much of a fan of standard ER10 but this selection from Green's in ATL is fantastic.

Picked up a Forged Oak, and a new local 1792 SB (in part because it is the new label, but mostly because he priced it at $20.99!)

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!