What bourbon are you enjoying? Summer 2015!

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm with you km. :grin: Blanton's for me too tonight. Enjoy.

Cheers! Joe

I also started the evening with a Blanton's at a bar after work with some coworkers yesterday.

As an aside, I saw this place had a Pappy bottle high up on the shelf off-menu, looked like the 20 year. I asked the waiter about it as I was tabbing out just for giggles and he came back and said it was $14 for the 12 year. I couldn't hear everything he was saying because he turned his back to look at the bar as he spoke but the bottle definitely wasn't Lot B. It was certainly either the 15, 20, or 23. In any event, this place had a decent selection for a bar.

Last night a friend and I got into some Woodford Reserve and Elmer T. Lee around the campfire in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota. I ended up doing some damage to my Elmer T. bottle. It went down so well when the temps dropped and the stars came out. Great night!

Some Hancock's Reserve right now after a lot of yard work. Stepping up the nicer stuff as my wife and I are heading to Cabo on Thursday.

Just finished off a Four Roses Small Batch pour while sitting in the pool. I'm not a HUGE fan of this bourbon but there are instances it really hits the spot, and this might the ultimate one for that.

Henry McKenna BIB and PHC POH, transitioning to Springbank 17 to round the evening out.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q572/mikejouett/20150627_205258_zpseqcbnl2j.jpeg' alt='20150627_205258_zpseqcbnl2j.jpeg'>

Finishing off a bottle of SAOS 10. It is a decent enough bourbon. However, I am not certain it is worth the price ($50-$65) that I see locally, especially when I can get BP store selects for $50.

Tried the blood oath tonight. Not bad but not worth the price of admission for me. For a four grain whiskey, I find smooth ambler contradiction a far better pour for the money.

Before heading out for dinner, I decided to have a liquid burnt corner of the brownie pan with the...burnt corner of the brownie pan! :lol:

post-692-14489822546156_thumb.jpg

Meeting this week in Hartford. Had a generous pour of OGD for tge first time and it was very good. Any place worth going to in time square?

Elijah Craig barrel proof 139.8. With a few drops of water. So good.

Had a tasting with a few friends tonight. Started with Traverse City, which wasn't bad, a bit of a single hitter without a lot of depth. Followed that up with some Russel's Reserve that was quite tasty. Finished with Old Forester. Good night for sure.

Started off this fine hot Saturday evening with RR10yr and have to say it's been growing on me. I've always been with the majority that downplay this one in favor of WT101 and Rare Breed. At 90 proof, the RR10 tasted thin for the first few pours and I wished for more proof. I seem to have adjusted to it as it's tasting just fine with a bubblegum candy start giving way to pralines and then the typical Turkey spice profile. I need to do a sbs with this and the aforementioned 101 and Rare Breed just to see how it stacks up with company.

Now onto the final pour of a '14 GTS so I got all kinds of barrel char floating in the bottom of my glass - chewy! Also found a gnat in there......I figure the alcohol has sterilized everything so I fished it out and am carrying on.

a bit of jim beam white/80 straight out of the 200ml bottle in the guest bed visiting some family after visiting some old friends today

Some KC12 in me coffee to kick off what is going to be a busy Sunday full of chores.

Did a blind tasting of 3 different OBSOs, all diluted down to 100 proof to try to level the playing feel. Not a big surprise, my favorite was the recent gift shop bottle; although I was pleasantly surprised that a recent local store pick came in 2nd. Want to do this comparison once or twice more before stocking up, but a good sign!

Moved on to a blind tasting of a local 1792 pick against a GBS pick of ETL. I need to do this a few more times, but in two different tastings, I've picked the 1792 over the ETL. They're different pours to be sure, but fairly close in proof and age - and depending upon the mood I would reach for the ETL over the 1792.

Moved on to some MMCS bloodymarys, chores are going to be a chore to finish today.

Now I've opened the store select bottle of WTKS. I'm going to have to get a case of this for the bunker.

Now I've opened the store select bottle of WTKS. I'm going to have to get a case of this for the bunker.

Having a small pour of OGD 114. It has been a long while since I have had this and it is as good as I remember.

Nice. I had a bottle of this that I liked but had decided not to buy another because it wasn't better enough than Rare Breed or 101 and I had decided that RRSiB would be my premium Turkey of choice. Then I went on the tour at WT and at the tasting afterwards tried WTRB, WTKS, and RRSiB side by side and the WTKS was the clear winner.

Now I'm conflicted.

That's the trouble with single barrels! I had a WTKS last year that was only subtly distinguishable from WT101 in a SBS. Seems to be a fair amount of variation in that one.

That's the trouble with single barrels! I had a WTKS last year that was only subtly distinguishable from WT101 in a SBS. Seems to be a fair amount of variation in that one.

So true! As TT noted, if you find an exceptional one, you need to stock up.

I felt that a vacation was in order, so I spent the past couple of weeks off the grid in FL. Regular pours were EC12, JB BIB, HM BIB and Ritt BIB. I was tough, but I powered through...

Happy summer ya'll...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!