What bourbon are you enjoying? Summer 2015!

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started with WHH 4th release (just a fantastic pour after 45 minutes of air time in the glass), EHTBP and EC18

Another sampling night

Pennypacker

Evan Williams single barrel 2005

Elijah Craig 12

Whistle pig 10

Old Weller Antique

Tonight I'm working on the bottles that I'm not crazy about. First up, EWSB '02. A perennial favorite. I'm halfway through and it's finally growing on me. This vintage is all gone now though so I don't need to worry about deciding on another. My previous bottle, an '03, was good but not good enough to put EWSB on my "must buy" list.

Next up, SAOS 10yr. Again, not bad, but not nearly as good as the 7yr high rye SAOS.

Finally, Noah's Mill. Reports from recent bottles are good. However, my bottle was purchased last year and is clearly not good (for the price). This is the problem with NDP's - lack of consistency. It's early in the bottle so I'm holding out hope it improves, but my faith in KBD brand name sourced products has taken a big hit from numerous letdowns over the past year or so.

Drinking the last of this Journeyman sample pack I got over the holidays. The silver cross whiskey is awful. The bourbon is awful. I can't believe these bottles are on the shelf for like $50. Bourbon should only come from KY.

To toast the retirement of JR, enjoyed pours of FR SmB, SB OESO PS, and '09 Mariage.

Cracked open a KCSB store pick and had a pour with a bit of water. I originally planned to follow that up with a FRSB as a salute to Jim Rutledge but time got away from me.

Some BTEC last night to help a friend celebrate a birthday (among other things). A 12.5 year wheater, barrel entry proof 125. Very tasty. The nose was pure butterscotch. Too bad I'll probably never see another bottle of this.

Some BTEC last night to help a friend celebrate a birthday (among other things). A 12.5 year wheater, barrel entry proof 125. Very tasty. The nose was pure butterscotch. Too bad I'll probably never see another bottle of this.

What did you pay for it, and what floor was it from? Just saw a bottle of 12 year wheater BTEC at my local liquor store, but i had a hard time laying down $67 for a 375mL bottle.

Sipping on the last of a bottle of Hirsch 25 yr Rye. This thing is a spicy oak monster.

Thinking of Jim Rutledge and his much deserved retirement as I sip on some 2012 SmBLE. While sad to see him go, he leaves a well deserved legacy. Oh - and some @#$%'in awesome whiskey! :toast: Cheers Jim!

Had to work from home today, 6 month old got chicken pox and mrs dcbt stayed home yesterday. Work + looking after baby all day = exhaustion. Cracked open a new EC21 on the patio by the pool while wife picks up some pappadeaux for dinner. I'm trying not to fall asleep in the chaise lounge.

Started the holiday weekend last night with great friends and a CEHT Cured Oak and a private barrel EC 18. Between friends, whiskey and cigars I really don't have anything other than general impressions of the whiskey so I am taking a little more time to pay attention this evening. Starting off with the EC 18. Purchased five or six years ago from Bourbon St. Liquors in NJ. Before the craze. Beautiful amber color. Sweet barrel notes and vanilla on the nose. Smooth on the palate, everything in balance just add a little sweet spiciness and a hint of burn. Nice finish. High bar for a new expression of EC 18 to match - if indeed one is in the works. Will add my impressions of the Cured Oak later this evening.

Being that I stumbled upon and picked up a few back-ups today, I just had a big old pour of CEHTBP over a big ice cube. I had been nursing this bottle. Excellent.

Had plans to toast Mr. Rutledge with some LE 4R but I came down with a sore throat today and am slightly congested so I don't trust my palate. I'm going with the inexpensive VOB6 instead and it's tasting OK so far so I may still give some LE 4R a go later tonight.

Being that I stumbled upon and picked up a few back-ups today, I just had a big old pour of CEHTBP over a big ice cube. I had been nursing this bottle. Excellent.

NJ seems flush with CEHT BP lately. I've seen about 10-12 bottles in the past couple of days.

I'm going with ECBP tonight.

I have three CEHT BP from batch 1 in the bunker - having taken 3 down so far. I'd like to get one from a later batch for comparison purposes. Haven't been in the stores too much lately, but I have not seen any of the BP yet.

Following up the EC18 with the CEHT Cured Oak. On the darker side of amber. A little less sweet than the EC18 with a touch more wood in the nose. Very smooth. Palate adds a touch of spice. Not particularly long finish. A nice aged whiskey. I hope this puts on a little weight with time.

Glad I have these two open together. About the same age. Cured Oak is 10 proof points higher. Will be fun to track their progress.

Started with some VOB6BiB, the some 11 year OBSO, 11 year OESF & a nightcap of

2014 GTS. Happy New Year!!! Uh. Never mind.

Had several glasses of OFS and Vernor's diet ginger ale while I prepared the grill for the weekend ahead. Gotta try to cut calories where I can.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!