What bourbon are you enjoying? Summer 2015!

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Having some 2014 FR LE SmB. This is the longest I've ever had a FR open and it's finally starting to grow on me.

I also started soaking the stave that came with my WT101 cocktail kit so that should be interesting to try in 4 days or so and compare to the un-soaked remainder of the bottle........

5 days later and doing a SbS and the difference is quite significant. A lot woodier on the front and nicer mouth feel and finish. It didn't seem to change the nose much.* It looked a lot darker pouring it out of the mason jar to a large measuring cup so I could pour it into an old 4RSmB fifth bottle I keep around for vattings. The last 100ml or so I strained through a coffee filter to catch the stave and the chunks that had fallen off it. I rather like it and catch myself wondering if I shouldn't go back to that store to see if they have more of these, or maybe just order some stave sticks from somewhere.

*Edit to add: I don't have the best nose to begin with and it is in terrible shape right now with seasonal allergies kicking my butt.

Edited by fozzy71

EWSB2004. I am in bottle consolidation mode since I will be moving 8/14. The less bottles to move, the better.

I felt that a vacation was in order, so I spent the past couple of weeks off the grid in FL. Regular pours were EC12, JB BIB, HM BIB and Ritt BIB. I was tough, but I powered through...

Happy summer ya'll...

That does sound hard! Solid effort to power through. If you need help next time, I'm your man.

Welcome back, and happy summer right back at ya!

I did a Heaven Hill SBS tonight with some bottles I picked up during Sampler weekend. Henry McKenna BIB vs Heaven Hill 6 yr BIB. I was amazed by the nose on both, lots of candy and nuts. I've heard lots of good things about the HH6 and after trying it I can see why. I preferred the taste of the 6 year over the McKenna as well. They both had a nutty taste as well, but I enjoyed the HH a bit more. I'm glad I bought 2 bottles and that it is so affordable. Hoping I can find more on my next trip

9245c697-58d9-4127-bcbc-ed6dbce875ab_zpsom4vzwwy.jpg

made an Old Fashioned with it earlier; I think I prefer Manhattans or my Manhattan variant with cherry liqueur

Pretty much as big as it gets. 15yo HH aged in an over-sized barrel.

2efd478d775cae8b69e79c339a6474f3.jpg

147.5 proof???

Dang........

After a weekend spent unloading a truckload of wall stones for a backyard project, and a birthday party for a 6-year old- yesterday's pours were Bookers 2014-06, Balcones FR. Oak, and Old Rip 10.

147.5 proof???

Dang........

I've been staring at that bottle for a while now and have decided that I need that in my life. :cool:

Started Friday with an OWA then had BT and ginger ales on Saturday. Bourbon with ice goes down almost too easily on warm summer days.

This Saturday evening I did a three way tasting that I themed "bourbons I don't like very much." It was Bulleit, HMcK10 and (dusty) JD86. Yep, sure enough, while all bourbon is good and I could drink this stuff and be content, I don't really care for any of the three. My particular bottle of HMcK10 is too much oak. Bulleit is just blah. Dusty JDW86 is better than contemporary JDW, but no so much that I actually like it. To reset the taste buds, we finished with a store pick KCSB, which reminded us of what really tasty bourbon can be like.

Sunday evening I did a OWA, W12 and PMP tasting. Surprisingly, I decide I actually do like the PMP better than either of its two ingredients individually. Feeling happy and heated, and with each bottle about 1/3 full, I combined them into a single bottle. No going back now. Then for no particular reason I mixed up another batch of EHTBP and ND BDL, which has become a favorite vatting for me. I then, for no reason at all, had some SAOS7 and then a taste of Booker's. Then I collapsed into bed, satisfied with my world.

Thank you,

Paul

Thanks for the tasting notes Paul W! I am sipping on PHC POH (large pour) before dinner. A good way to unwind after a long day at work.... I'll probably have some Wild Turkey later this evening.

end of long weekend

Manhattan with Luxardo Maraschino Cherry Liqueur

Manchego sheep's milk cheese

81ef2b6c-4f6c-4d12-b73c-991b12b37c93_zpspkws1gmt.jpg3dfd821f-15bc-4066-83ad-582a0d581c3a_zpsnzqcrcew.jpg

MM out of 200ml bottle tonight. I will be grabbing at least 1 or 2 of the liter bottles tomorrow the store had on sale for $20+tax. These are at least $40 back home

Edited by fozzy71
added a word

Trying to pack for a trip to Cabo on Thursday and found out that my dog has an abscesses tooth that need to be pulled. No biggie except he's an older pup and to be honest, I just get worried. Awesome vet who is not worried but some OGD 114 while I'm sitting outside with my dog asleep next to me.

I can pack tomorrow. Nights like this are worth anything.

Best of luck to you and the pup Raven.

I'm working on the bottle of KC I've been trying to like. It's not bad, per se, but I don't get excited about it so I'm trying to slay it.

Trying to pack for a trip to Cabo on Thursday and found out that my dog has an abscesses tooth that need to be pulled. No biggie except he's an older pup and to be honest, I just get worried. Awesome vet who is not worried but some OGD 114 while I'm sitting outside with my dog asleep next to me.

I can pack tomorrow. Nights like this are worth anything.

will recommend Edith's

0315ceb7-0f32-430c-ba24-5344ef613545_zps95fd10c0.jpg

163e6b53-b636-45bd-bddf-5cf12232d2e9_zpse15e65dc.jpg

and check out La Hacienda del Tequila

d49ed816-0d24-4b62-beac-3f6f14dce0ab_zps21c49a0b.jpg

have a great trip!

My particular bottle of HMcK10 is too much oak.

Is your HM10 one of the bottles that looks like this:

post-12398-14489822550197_thumb.jpg

I have one of those, I think bottled in 2011. So far it is my least favorite bottle I have tried. I know it is single barrel so there is a lot of variance but I wondered how closely the newer stuff resembles this.

post-12398-14489822550054_thumb.jpg

Loads of Old Forester Signature. I had forgotten just how tasty this stuff is. Time to pick up another handle!

Mine looks like this and was bought off the shelf within the last 18 months. (Not my picture.)

post-11439-1448982255033_thumb.jpg

Last night was a sampe of a Weller/Stagg vatting that has been barrel aged in a 3L barrel. It was a real treat, wish i knew his ratio.

Finished off with ETL and it never disappoints.

Still cant locate any BT locally so enjoying the closest thing to it.....OC. It is really close with that same sweetness.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!