What bourbon are you enjoying? Fall 2015!

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4R OBSK PS first then OBSO PS.  Both were great, but if I had a third, it'd be a double shot of the OBSO.  Of course, a small ice cube in each might have affected the outcome.

Finished up with a pour of IWH 15.  Thought I was doing ok until I read Harry's post above.  Just a little jealous, but too lazy to go pull one out...

28 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

4R OBSK PS first then OBSO PS.  Both were great, but if I had a third, it'd be a double shot of the OBSO.  Of course, a small ice cube in each might have affected the outcome.

Standard bearer of the cult right here people.

Widow Jane 8 Year old last night. Probably will not be buying this again. Not bad, but I think I paid $65 for it. 

Tried some Balcones blue corn the other night, this is one of very few pours that I just couldn't finish, nasty. Glad it wasn't my bottle.

1 hour ago, atbat82 said:

Widow Jane 8 Year old last night. Probably will not be buying this again. Not bad, but I think I paid $65 for it. 

That New York mine water that they thoughtfully added to dilute the sourced MGP whiskey they bought gets expensive! B)

Edited by tanstaafl2

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

That New York mine water that they thoughtfully added to dilute the sourced MGP whiskey they bought gets expensive! B)

Yea...not one of my prouder purchases. It's not bad whiskey necessarily, but it's not worth $65 and their marketing just annoys me (imagine if I took the time to read about it before I bought it??)

New Holland Beer Barrel Bourbon. Interesting take on bourbon, underproofed by a bit, kind of flat, but I like that they're trying new things and you definitely pick up a bit of the beer finish on the palette and a lot on the nose. Probably won't buy it again, but glad I bought one.

Sipping on a sample of master's keep that was sent my way. I have to say I think the nose on this stuff is amazing, but the taste doesn't measure up. Some good flavors but it's just too watery in my opinion (I'm a proof whore).

Edited by taddraughn

Chilling with some EC12 and KC tonight. Rough day at work has these two tasting way better than usual. (And they usually taste great.)

On 12/13/2015, 5:17:05, GAbiker said:

Gary...Attack of the Clones?  I bet you needed the Cask Strength to make it through Episode 1 and Jar Jar Binks...lmao

Yeah - I could have used something stronger probably :lol:

Tonight I had some small samples of '14 & '15 FR SmBLE before revisiting my ORVW 10yr from last year.  Nice bourbon, but convinced it will be the last one I buy.  This was one of my favorites when it was $35.  Welcome to the new normal I guess <_<

1 hour ago, darylld911 said:

Yeah - I could have used something stronger probably :lol:

Tonight I had some small samples of '14 & '15 FR SmBLE before revisiting my ORVW 10yr from last year.  Nice bourbon, but convinced it will be the last one I buy.  This was one of my favorites when it was $35.  Welcome to the new normal I guess <_<

Was able to pick up a '15 FR SmBLE and 2 '15 ORVW's.   Didn't over pay (much) for any of them.  But sure weren't under $35.  Guess we're getting old when we can remember prices under $50 for LEs....or ETL or RHF or any number of other bourbons that used to be reasonably priced.

On 12/16/2015, 1:30:05, Golzee said:

VOB BIB...the best bourbon I have discovered because of SB

I revisited my bottle of VOBBiB last night cuz of this, and it definitely hit the spot last night.  I tried it a few times months ago and didn't care for it much, but last night it was hitting all the right notes for me.  if you liked this, you should get to Binny's and pick up their store select 1792 while they still have it in stock!  I finished off my first bottle of it a few weeks ago and got another waiting to be opened.  Definitely one of my favorites.

5 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

I revisited my bottle of VOBBiB last night cuz of this, and it definitely hit the spot last night.  I tried it a few times months ago and didn't care for it much, but last night it was hitting all the right notes for me.  if you liked this, you should get to Binny's and pick up their store select 1792 while they still have it in stock!  I finished off my first bottle of it a few weeks ago and got another waiting to be opened.  Definitely one of my favorites.

Thanks Donuts, I will keep an eye out for it.  I may stop into Binnys tomorrow as I was informed that they may have something I have been looking for.

Going to do a tasting tonight with my Thirsty Thursday buddies across a broad cross-section of flavors:

Dickel 9 - corn

Rittenhouse BIB - rye

McKenna 10 - bourbon with strong rye mash bill

Eagle Rare - bourbon with lesser rye mash blll 

Larceny - wheated bourbon

Bernheim - wheat whiskey

Just opened a newly purchased a bottle of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye, and it's fantastic.  I find it to be the perfect proof to sip neat, and it's very flavorful.  I'll likely be picking up another few bottles.

Will probably move to a small pour of ECBP.

Edited by Jazz Nut

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.