What Bourbon did you purchase today? / Fall 2015

JGriff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Based on recommendations on this forum, I purchased my first bottles of Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 (SAOS7) for $34.95 and Smooth Ambler Old Scout 10 (SAOS10) for $45.00 - looking forward to trying them!

Edited by starhopper

Nothing really special, except in my mind, bourbon itself is special.  I went to a local chain's holiday sale today and picked up some Four Roses Single Barrel and OGD BIB.  I also picked up a Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Rye.  Sometimes it is good to just stock up on the standard stuff.

I'm in charge of picking up a few very nice bottles of bourbon as a Christmas gift for one of the partners in the firm so I had a great excuse to go shopping today. My wife said that only I could figure out a way to get paid to go shopping for bourbon. What can I say?

Of course I parlayed that trip into a little shopping for myself and came home with an EC18, RRSB, and an OWA.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2015‎ ‎2‎:‎59‎:‎36‎, Swoboda said:

Great buy!!

Today I picked up an OWA 1 liter for $26.99 . . . cheers!

Did you get me one (or 2)? Been looking high and low..... that stuff dried up around here! Plus you even got a liter! Nice!

Picked up the New JD SB BP... sipping on it right now, not bad for 130 pf, got some real nice flavors up front,sweet with some heat. Also while I was there my go to person pulled out the new WR Masters collection -1838 style white corn, are you interested in this @ $100...Why not it's X-mas time!

Great couple of days... (the KCSB is a Binny's 132 proof pick)

c3749354b548242b1f69896a85e4e35a.jpg

b6f5048635cda82509e2903e12fe2644.jpg

Edited by Auracom

32 minutes ago, Auracom said:

Great couple of days... (the KCSB is a Binny's 132 proof pick)

I guess Binny's has enough pull to get full proof! Although the label still says 120 proof so that seems odd.

I recall we couldn't get the GBS KCSB at proof although I wasn't able to be there for that pick in September. Same thing with the GBS Russell's Reserve last spring although it was pretty close to 110 out of the barrel as I remember.

Edited by tanstaafl2

19 minutes ago, Paddy said:

^^^^Auracom, I can't wait to hear how that 'heater' of a KCSB tastes!^^^^

Opened immediately when I got home. Dense wood character - not quite sappy but hints of maple. Moderately savory with cinnamon and honey. Less heat than anticipated. Basically it tastes like a very good Booker's, to me. I'll be getting another. 

I had to travel out of town this past weekend. I stopped at a store on the way home that I've bought a few things from before. Purchased yet another Stagg Jr Batch #3, and also another SAOS 7. Early Xmas presents to myself. :P

Cheers! Joe

b1.jpg

1 hour ago, Auracom said:

Opened immediately when I got home. Dense wood character - not quite sappy but hints of maple. Moderately savory with cinnamon and honey. Less heat than anticipated. Basically it tastes like a very good Booker's, to me. I'll be getting another. 

I bet it'll really bloom when the dew dries off the cork!   Well done!

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I guess Binny's has enough pull to get full proof! Although the label still says 120 proof so that seems odd.

I recall we couldn't get the GBS KCSB at proof although I wasn't able to be there for that pick in September. Same thing with the GBS Russell's Reserve last spring although it was pretty close to 110 out of the barrel as I remember.

The Store Select KCSB we got last Spring was 118 proof...but label said 120.   Guess they aren't going to change labels just to show actual proof...

Had a pretty good day, so did Buffalo Trace:

2 x bottles of Blanton's 

2 x bottles of Weller 12

1 x Stagg Jr (batch 4)

1 x Special Oak Project 375

Back in late October in DC. Haven't been able to post, but I was quite excited to see these around and available. Wish I could say I didn't pay over MSRP, but I never get the opportunity to buy these. Saving them for a special occasion (Christmas is likely). Not pictured is the Eagle Rare 17 that I went back and purchased as well.

image.jpg

Hit a couple stores on the way home from work.  Picked up an Angel's Envy Rye and an E.H.Taylor Barrel Proof! Excited to try both of these!

6 hours ago, Auracom said:

Oh man that sounds good..........

Took advantage of a rare day off work combined with nice weather and took my Harley out for a ride.   Picked up 8 200ml Evan Williams 1783 10 Year Olds with GA tax stamps.  Strange bottles, has Government Warning, but no UPC code.  Never seen that before.  

Tried to post pic but my 1.3 MB pic keeps poppin up Max 2 MB...

20151209_155933.jpg

Edited by GAbiker
couldnt get image to attach

33 minutes ago, GAbiker said:

Took advantage of a rare day off work combined with nice weather and took my Harley out for a ride.   Picked up 8 200ml Evan Williams 1783 10 Year Olds with GA tax stamps.  Strange bottles, has Government Warning, but no UPC code.  Never seen that before.  

Tried to post pic but my 1.3 MB pic keeps poppin up Max 2 MB...

20151209_155933.jpg

Want !!  Nice grab !!

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

Good work! 

Thank you sir! It's nice when the effort put into making connections and supporting a particular store actually works out. They weren't able to hold it for me, but I knew it was coming (and had to get up pretty early to make sure I got it.)

Continued the hustle today which resulted in an ER17 and (2) ETL's. 

Also picked up a JDSB Barrel Proof. Just showed up here and I've heard enough good things to give it a shot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.