What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall 2015

Tony Santana
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got excited when I saw ETL, PHC9, OFBB, and Stagg Jr at a new local spot. All were 3x retail so I walked out. Don't see that kind of markup in TX very often.

Got excited when I saw ETL, PHC9, OFBB, and Stagg Jr at a new local spot. All were 3x retail so I walked out. Don't see that kind of markup in TX very often.

Passed on EC 23 yr at $299, Stagg Jr at $79, ER10 at $39 and a bunch of others...

Spoke with one guy that works there bc i frequent often and even he agreed the price on the 23yr was outrageous, but said someone woule buy it...

He's probably right, Rad. A local store last year had OFBB 2014 at $120 (double msrp) and when I asked him, he said someone would eventually pay that for it. Fast forward a year and someone did. A shame....

Saw a couple of PHC Malt Whiskey bottles for $80. Couldn't pull the trigger at that price on something I'm not sure about. Shelves around town are starting to get bare of the reasonable stuff.

Ran across some PHC9 myself yesterday, and was going to grab one for a buddy (I already have one), until I found out they were asking $240.

I have never tasted any VW products and at this rate I never will. And I am OK with that. I can drink OWA and W12 and call it close enough. And while I want to try S-W distillate someday, I am not going to pay $85 for a dram of PVW23 that may or may not be all S-W and, even if it is, may not be a good expression of the breed in any event.

Again, found a local restaurant that had VW products for sale and, again, passed since the prices for the ones I care about are just beyond my tolerance for a single dram of anything.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21691&stc=1

post-11439-14489822889371_thumb.jpg

post-11439-14489822889371_thumb.jpg

Thought that I had found a bottle of Old Fitz BIB, however, it was the prime. I have yet to try Old Fitz, but, I will hold out until the BIB. Is this a mistake? It was pretty cheap, but, I think I would rather spend the extra $5 and get a bottle of Larceny (if I wanted a wheater).

Thought that I had found a bottle of Old Fitz BIB, however, it was the prime. I have yet to try Old Fitz, but, I will hold out until the BIB. Is this a mistake? It was pretty cheap, but, I think I would rather spend the extra $5 and get a bottle of Larceny (if I wanted a wheater).

The Prime is not very good. Larceny is a much better pour IMHO.

Yeah, I'd go with Larceny in that range. HH makes a lot of wheat mash whisky and I've long thought the Old Fitz Prime was a lower pick/price shelf filler.

I left 3 bottles of PHC9 on the shelf today. I left 2 at another store a couple of weeks ago.

Have been buying to much other stuff lately that I know is really good for cheaper!

I passed on Parker's Malt for 109 and the 2015 4R SmB LE for 149. Tempted by the 4R because this is the first time I have ever seen it on the shelf in MD.

I passed on Parker's Malt for 109 and the 2015 4R SmB LE for 149. Tempted by the 4R because this is the first time I have ever seen it on the shelf in MD.

Man, the force is strong in you. I would have crumbled and sheepishly handed over my credit card. LOL. MSRP is around $119 so I guess it's not way off considering some secondary prices these days. Another reason is it seems like NY never sees a big allocation of this (except for NYC). My guess is, because 4R only has bourbon, most small mom and pop shops aren't pushing enough of it to warrant an allocation of the LE's unlike someone like BT that has products across the spectrum.

I've been hearing good things about the '15 4R Smb LE, much better than the '14.

Good luck and hope you can score a bottle closer to MSRP.

Man, the force is strong in you. I would have crumbled and sheepishly handed over my credit card. LOL. MSRP is around $119 so I guess it's not way off considering some secondary prices these days. Another reason is it seems like NY never sees a big allocation of this (except for NYC). My guess is, because 4R only has bourbon, most small mom and pop shops aren't pushing enough of it to warrant an allocation of the LE's unlike someone like BT that has products across the spectrum.

I've been hearing good things about the '15 4R Smb LE, much better than the '14.

Good luck and hope you can score a bottle closer to MSRP.

It's those two kids in daycare that keeps me from spending.

It's those two kids in daycare that keeps me from spending.

Nah, I hear ya. You did the right thing. After posting my reply, I kinda came to my senses. personally, I've gone a little over board in the past few months. I mean, up until last year, I could not have imagined paying over $75 for alcohol!!!

I always try to remind myself that there is plenty of fine juice for much cheaper like standard four roses offerings, SAOS, HW, etc....

If I happen to stumble on a bottle at a reasonable price, will be sure to send you a sample.

Cheers

John

Passed on 4 PHC malts. Bought 2 previously. EHT smb. Elmer at 100 a bottle... Left 2 ECBP batch 9 for the next guy. Left Plenty of stagg jr. Just don't care for it.

Passed on a OFBB 15 @ $100 just too much money for that bourbon, I've got a 07,and a 14 bunkered, would of been nice to add to them, but not at that price, too many other good ones out there for less. I guess everyone is jumping on the band wagon these days.....

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.