What Bourbon did you pass up today? Fall 2015

Tony Santana
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

5 hours ago, b1gcountry said:

I don't think there is any age requirement unless you state "straight bourbon". I think straight means a minimum of 2 years. I'm too lazy to look it up on Wikipedia :)

yup, that's true, but if you call it straight bourbon, it has to be age stated if less than 4 years old.

Passed on some ECBP at $99 per bottle...

I like the stuff but not that much. Same place as before with the $300 EC23 and $200 EC18

just redunkulus...

good for you.  don't give in to those marking up.  $5 over msrp / state minimum is my threshold.  I am sipping on some ECBP 139.8 that I paid 50 or 55 for.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎38‎:‎39‎, b1gcountry said:

I don't think there is any age requirement unless you state "straight bourbon". I think straight means a minimum of 2 years. I'm too lazy to look it up on Wikipedia :)

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2016‎ ‎9‎:‎53‎:‎25‎, DonutsNBourbon said:

yup, that's true, but if you call it straight bourbon, it has to be age stated if less than 4 years old.

My recollection was that the TTB issued new guidelines (or really a clarification) for whiskey labeling that said in essence that anything labeled whiskey, straight or otherwise, that was less than 4 years old required an age statement. It can't be labeled as straight unless it is at least 2 years old. but even a straight bourbon between 2 and 4 years must have the age statement.

Chuck's blog seems to confirm my recollection.

So if it does not have an age statement it is either 4 years old (Unlikely if their distillate or else it is sourced) or a non compliant label. If sourced and the source is another state other than Washington, which would be possible but not likely, it must also indicated the state it was distilled in or the label is non compliant.

Col. Cowdery strikes again!

I can't see the back label, if there is one, so I don't know for sure although this is a wide label based on this picture so probably it doesn't have a separate back label.

569814c1b8a99_Heritagedualbarrelcollecti

Also note on the right side it says it was "Produced and Bottled By" and not "Distilled By". That suggests sourced whiskey as well and all they did was stick it in a vanilla barrel for an undetermined period of time before bottling.

I don't know any details for sure of course. Just doing my best to "decode" the label.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Man, did I pass up a lot of NDP and "craft" whiskey in Bloomington yesterday.  A funny thing to me is when a store has single barrel selections from a company that doesn't even make anything.  :lol:  How does that even work?

24 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Man, did I pass up a lot of NDP and "craft" whiskey in Bloomington yesterday.  A funny thing to me is when a store has single barrel selections from a company that doesn't even make anything.  :lol:  How does that even work?

A rhetorical question I suspect but as I presume you know Smooth Ambler did it for quite some time before they started making their own (and still do it). So apparently it works quite well!

On their barrels you can see where they have sanded off the MGP stencils before applying their own bright red markings to the barrels they send to the store with the whiskey.

6 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

A rhetorical question I suspect but as I presume you know Smooth Ambler did it for quite some time before they started making their own (and still do it). So apparently it works quite well!

On their barrels you can see where they have sanded off the MGP stencils before applying their own bright red markings to the barrels they send to the store with the whiskey.

Do they sand off a stencil?  I was under the impression that there wasn't a MGP (or Seagram's) stencil on the barrel head, but rather a small bar code label or tag of some sort, that SA removed prior to stamping their own markings on there for marketing display purposes for the retailer with their private barrel selections. 

14 hours ago, JGriff said:

ECBP @ $70.  Not sure if that's a good price. First one I've seen on a shelf 

Any idea what time of the year this product is released. 

I know they do 2 releases a year but don't remember what months.

Yeah, I know a little about Smooth Ambler.  They put Indiana on their labels of sourced whiskey, and get great reviews.    

6 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Any idea what time of the year this product is released. 

I know they do 2 releases a year but don't remember what months.

They did at least 3 releases last year. They seem to come at regular intervals but different states/cities get them at different times. Best way to find out is to make friends with a store employee.

On 1/15/2016, 6:21:19, smokinjoe said:

Do they sand off a stencil?  I was under the impression that there wasn't a MGP (or Seagram's) stencil on the barrel head, but rather a small bar code label or tag of some sort, that SA removed prior to stamping their own markings on there for marketing display purposes for the retailer with their private barrel selections. 

As I recall the barrel definitely looks as if the majority of the center of the head has been sanded before they put their own stencil on it. Maybe that is so the stencil stands out more. If the barrel is still in the store I ill try to get a picture to confirm.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.