What Beer Are You Drinking - FALL 2015

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Fall is always a great beer time, with Oktoberfest offerings, slightly heavier profiles than Summer brews, and generally good cooler beer drinking weather. I'm into a Bell's Best Brown Ale, tonight. Brown Ales are always tricky for me, in that some offerings can come across too sweet and bland. This BBBA doesn't suffer those issues. Nice balance throughout. Stiff maltiness. Great thick and heavy foam on pouring. The graphics on the package and label are really well done, as well.

I had my last bottle of 3 Floyds Alpha King tonight. Great pale ale. But I'm with you Joe. Bring on the heavy beers! This year's Founders Breakfast Stout is tasting damn good.

We were up in Michigan for the weekend, so had some fresh Bell's Best Brown myself, which was very nice. Short's Oktoberfest was not too shabby either. Also tried this year's Founder's ArtPrize beer, which is a kolsch style with Chamomile, Lemongrass, and Ginger. Very unusual but not bad!

Fall is always a great beer time, with Oktoberfest offerings, slightly heavier profiles than Summer brews, and generally good cooler beer drinking weather. I'm into a Bell's Best Brown Ale, tonight. Brown Ales are always tricky for me, in that some offerings can come across too sweet and bland. This BBBA doesn't suffer those issues. Nice balance throughout. Stiff maltiness. Great thick and heavy foam on pouring. The graphics on the package and label are really well done, as well.

BBBA is my go-to Fall beer now, especially since I found a heck of a deal on it in Kentucky (compared to pricing at home).

In the garage listening to one of the final Braves games of the year on the radio with one of my faves, Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold. Melancholy time, as the sun is down, a little coolish, and with only a little light in the sky, and the game is only in the 2nd. A couple of months ago at this time, the Sun was blazing down, with a couple more hours to go...

Or it could be, that a couple of months ago the Braves were around .500. Now, they're 31 games under...:lol:

Today I had a Oskar Blues Deviant. For the ABV this is a very nice IPA.

Cheers!

Its not exactly beer but I only adhere to a few categories. Beer, wine, and whiskey, so anything that not wine or spirits is placed in the beer category just as I place hard cider there as well. I suppose this is because im more of a bourbon drinker than anything. I make my own great wines and ciders as well but anyway Not Your Fathers Rootbeer is what I tried today for the first time. Not bourbon but not bad.

Had a really surprising beer tonight. Odell Oak Haven Whiskey Peach. It's the least fruit tasting fruit beer I've ever had. Starts off with a strong but not overpowering oak taste. Somewhat bitter but obviously not hops. Watered down whiskey. Then right at the end you get the sweetness and a hint of the peach.

Saturday is going to be interesting. 4 Hands is doing a tap takeover at my bar with 20 taps. Madagascar and Downfall? I'm not driving home!

Just picked up Mrssmokinjoe at the airport, and now back out listening to Braves with a Goose Island Autumn Ale.

Just picked up Mrssmokinjoe at the airport, and now back out listening to Braves with a Goose Island Autumn Ale.

On the bright side, they're only 30 under now! I know, it's only a moral victory but I'm counting it! :crazy:

I went with a Sam Adams Octoberfest with dinner.

Not a huge Sam Adams fan, but Always look forward to their Octoberfest version, nice flavor but not overly hoppy. Plus Costco carries them in 30 pack cases.

Hadn't actually had a beer in almost a year but had a few Sam Adams Octoberfest and a Schlafly Octoberfest and they were both mighty tasty. Blew my low carb diet but oh well.

Finally recovered from the 4 Hands tap takeover plus some allergy madness.

Started with a 4 Hands Resurrected IPA and an O'Fallon Vanilla Pumpkin waiting for it to start. Talked a couple visiting St. Louis to stick around for the takeover, very couple that joined in my groups conversation.

Takeover beers (all half pours)

* Madagascar - BA Imp Stout with vanilla

- just fantastic. Keg lasted 45 minutes.

* Downfall - BA Imp Stout with raspberries

- bit too much raspberry for me. Covered up the base berr too much

* Constellation Citra - IPA

- fantastic IPA!

^ Cuvee Ange - wine BA sour sale

- nice but not fantastic

Finished the day with an O'Dell Pina Agria they had tapped by mistake. Fantastic pineapple sour. Between all of us the group we had all 20 of the 4 Hands on tap. Time to give the liver a rest!

Digging around the beer fridge this weekend and what pops up, but a couple of Hopslams. So, enjoying one out front on a very nice October evening, here Down South. No Braves on the radio tonight, but the crickets and occasional katydid and tree frog are puttin' on quite the sound show. :D

It could be a rough 2 days baseball wise; the Yankees are my AL team, and the Cubs are my NL team. Both teams are playing to move on in one game playoffs. So, I picked up a Hofbrau Oktoberfest mini keg which will be tapped at first pitch tonight. Cheers everybody! Also, has anybody tried Revolutions' Oktoberfest or Great Lakes Oktoberfest? I like a nice smooth beer with little "funK". Any thoughts would be appreciated. Marzen style beers are my favorite, so in between my Hofbrau mini keg purchases I like to change it up. Any Oktoberfest suggestions would also be appreciated.

I've been enjoying the return of Bell's Hell Hath No Fury ale. A nice interpretation of a Belgian dubbel.

Drank the Sierra Nevada Harvest Newly Developed Hop IPA on tap yesterday . . . nice citrus, pine and malt balance . . . different . . . slightly dry. The first one was so good, I had another.

It could be a rough 2 days baseball wise; the Yankees are my AL team, and the Cubs are my NL team. Both teams are playing to move on in one game playoffs. So, I picked up a Hofbrau Oktoberfest mini keg which will be tapped at first pitch tonight. Cheers everybody! Also, has anybody tried Revolutions' Oktoberfest or Great Lakes Oktoberfest? I like a nice smooth beer with little "funK". Any thoughts would be appreciated. Marzen style beers are my favorite, so in between my Hofbrau mini keg purchases I like to change it up. Any Oktoberfest suggestions would also be appreciated.

Paulaner was my favorite of the bunch last year, but I haven't had this year's batch. This year I've had Sam Adams, Erdinger, and Hofbrau, and Erdinger is easily my favorite.

Had a Congress St. IPA from Trillium tonight. I liked it just fine, but I think Trillium as a brewery is overrated. Having had a few of their IPAs, I feel comfortable making that claim.

[h=1]In The Spirit Of Skully Barrel No. 3 - Paradox Beer Company[/h]

Cheers!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.