What Beer Are You Drinking - FALL 2015

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I got the Sam Adams Holiday 12 pack for Thanksgiving.  The party goers were more into the wine.  The Sparkling Ale and Porter were great.  The other stuff just ok.  Adding spices to mediocre beer just doesn't interest me too much.

12 hours ago, KyleCBreese said:

I picked up some Red Wheelbarrow from Maine Beer Co. Going to give that a try tonight.

How was it? I have really enjoyed everything I had from Maine Beer Co. and I probably rank Lunch as top 3 beers I have ever had. 

10 hours ago, MDBourbon said:

How was it? I have really enjoyed everything I had from Maine Beer Co. and I probably rank Lunch as top 3 beers I have ever had. 

It was really nice. I've always been a fan of Amber Ales, so I might be biased. They added a lot of hops for an Amber Ale and it made it really interesting. I liked it better than the Peeper Ale.

I have only had the Wheelbarrow, Peeper, and Weez. I had heard that Lunch was being released in the next week or two.

Chimay Blue label Grand Reserve for the rich complexity of a full throttle classic Belgian Ale.  These strong buggers will sneak up on 'ya.

I need to try a newer blue label. I recently was comparing an older and newer red label and it seemed the newer was thinner and less flavorful to me and both weren't as rich as I remembered from the red label in the past. The last part could simply be my own perception but it was a bit worrisome.

Ballast Point is now distributed to Michigan so I purchased a sixer of Sculpin.  I'm not sure what the fuss is all about.  Great nose but all downhill from there.  I can think of at least 20 IPAs I would rather have than this one.

13 hours ago, DPPSmoker said:

Ballast Point is now distributed to Michigan so I purchased a sixer of Sculpin.  I'm not sure what the fuss is all about.  Great nose but all downhill from there.  I can think of at least 20 IPAs I would rather have than this one.

Never been a big fan myself but then I don't particularly care for IPA's in general. But also worth noting that Ballast Point was just bought by Constellation Brand for ONE BILLION (yes, with a "B"!) dollars so I don't know if that could explain the increased distribution as well as the possibly decreased quality.

Excited to be trying the 3 Taverns (Decatur, GA) Feest Noel Belgian Quadrupel Spiced Ale.  Full of Christmas spices, and very befitting the season.  Last Month, Mike (maybling here on SB) at the Kirkwood Whiskey Society in Decatur arranged for a tour for KWS and GBS of  Independent Distilling, a local craft distillery in Decatur that distilled and then aged the Feest Noel in smaller barrels.  It was fantastic stuff.  So, it's good to taste what went in to the distillation.  Many of the flavors carried through the distillation and aging, and made for a gorgeous spice bomb of a whiskey. It is these types of projects and whiskies that I think the craft guys really have a future in.

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Excited to be trying the 3 Taverns (Decatur, GA) Feest Noel Belgian Quadrupel Spiced Ale.  Full of Christmas spices, and very befitting the season.  Last Month, Mike (maybling here on SB) at the Kirkwood Whiskey Society in Decatur arranged for a tour for KWS and GBS of  Independent Distilling, a local craft distillery in Decatur that distilled and then aged the Feest Noel in smaller barrels.  It was fantastic stuff.  So, it's good to taste what went in to the distillation.  Many of the flavors carried through the distillation and aging, and made for a gorgeous spice bomb of a whiskey. It is these types of projects and whiskies that I think the craft guys really have a future in.

Great beer, would love to try it side by side with Independent's stuff they distilled. Agree with how much of the original character of the beer was still present in the whiskey!

Since we're talking beer though, tonight I split a Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel with my dad who is in town visiting. Nice amber malty 11% ABV Belgian, this one was an enjoyable first for me.

Wicked Weed "Pernicious" IPA to reward myself for finishing up my Christmas shopping.  No fightin' the crowds tomorrow!!  Yee-Haaaaawwww!!!!!! :D

Greene King (Morland) Old Speckled Hen English Pale Ale.  This is the newer version in the brown bottle weighing in at 5% ABV, malty, toffeeish, straightforward and approachable, worth buying a sixer.

Chimay blue label Grand Reserve with lunch today.  Perhaps the archetypal Belgian strong dark ale.  I don't keep these for any sort of special occasion, rather it had worked up to the top of the stack in the fridge drawer where the Belgians rest.

Back home after running all over south west Louisiana today. Thought I would have a beer.  St. Arnold Bishop's. It's one of the darkest Stout's I've ever seen. Not to much of the chocolate and coffee flavor that I love in bourbon barrel stout's, but Very good. 

image.jpeg

North Coast Brewing Brother Thelonious Belgian strong dark ale.  I like this one, it's a good take on the style.  I wonder if it might do better as a dubbel around 7-8% ABV instead of 9.40 but will take it as is without complaint.

So, on Christmas Eve, we had a First Frost Foraged Persimmon ale from Fullsteam. It was delicious, and it had a good flavor of ripe persimmons.

Then, on the evening of Christmas Day, we had Christmas ale from Brouwerij St. Bernardus. It tasted very similar to the First Frost, except the fruity flavor was not as specific.

My son and I enjoyed both about equally, with maybe a slight nod to the First Frost. While it had a higher ABV, the Christmas ale had a bit more forward alcohol impression on the palate. But again, both were excellent.

Tim

Edited by ratcheer
Typo correction

Sipping on some 2014 Bourbon County Coffee Stout this afternoon since I have no obligations for the first time in a long time.

I had this on draft a couple months ago and was disappointed, but I have to report that it has held up much better in the bottle. Delicious stuff! Coffee is not as pronounced as when it was fresh, but I think I prefer that.

Chimay Tripel, apotheosis of Belgian strong golden ales.  Not sure if I'll be buying any more of these, great to experience but think my tastes run more to the darker styles.

Smithwicks Red Irish Ale this evening, overall a favorable impression, we go through some of these couple times a year.  Still needs a bit more oomph somehow, the 4.7 ABV could use a boost.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.