What Beer Are You Drinking - FALL 2015

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tried some Goose Oktoberfest from Goose Island Brewery. The label says it contains wheat. Maybe that contributes just a little wheat beer type tart and fruit taste. A malty marzen style beer at 6.4%, very nice.

Cannot believe I didn't take any pictures, but had a couple of Unobtanium beers in the past couple of days. Friend of a friend was in a wedding party who through a bachelor party at my usual spot so I brought a couple of beers for the groups. Avery Tweak from last year and a Barrel Aged Charleville Box of Chocolate were nicely received but then someone in the party pulled out a 2013 Barrel Aged Dark Lord Vanilla. Oh. My. I just about passed out on the spot. This was quite literally the best beer I'd had. Then he pulled out a Superstition Black Berry White mead from a few years ago. This is really hard to describe, the best I can come up with is the first time you have really, really good vinegar that's quite think - this was similar. Thick, dense and more complexity than I've ever had in a mead. This was what is must be for someone to find an old, fantastic bottle of bourbon. Sadly, it was just a partial glass. As much as I wanted more (and was offered), I only knew a couple of people in the group and definitely not the bride and groom. I was there sharing with my buddy and the regulars in the bar, but it was fantastic that they let others share in their party.

Moerlein Bay of Bengal DIPA while watching MNF. Maybe, I should have waited until Thursday Night Football for this. :lol:

Shared a bottle of Anchorage A Deal With The Devil with some friends. Barleywine aged 8 months in cognac barrels and potent at 17%. And doesn't taste that way at all. Fairly sweet with a finish that reminded us of molasses and very, very smooth. If you like barleywines, put this one your list. Expensive (30-35 a bottle) but worth it. Made BCS Barleywine seem pedestrian.

Ovila Abbey Saison - Mandarin Oranges and Peppercorns on this cold and wet rainy day. This one has so many flavor nuances I wouldn't have noticed peppercorns if they had not been listed. Orange is in there but well integrated with other fruit and spice. Think I'll have another.

Rainy day, Monday after being out of the office travelling for 3 days last week, and not even half way dug out, so pulled a 2015 Backwoods Bastard out of the fridge in hopes it might brighten things up for me. As in so many bourbon barrel aged beers, this is bordering on being too sweet for my tastes. But, it does finish rather oaky, which takes a little of the sugar off of it. Not my favorite beer.

This evening I had a beer? spiced ale? called "Not your father's root beer". I've been hearing a lot about people going crazy over this. I really did not enjoy it. Did not even finish it. Not a good mix for me.

This evening I had a beer? spiced ale? called "Not your father's root beer". I've been hearing a lot about people going crazy over this. I really did not enjoy it. Did not even finish it. Not a good mix for me.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of sugary alco-pop. I get the appeal, though.

Happy International Stout Day! I'm celebrating with a Bell's 30th Anniversary Ale tonight. Very similar to Bell's Expedition Stout and that's not a bad thing at all.

Michelob Amberbock with fajitas and 3 football games on the TVs. Yea I know and I don't care, I like it. :grin:

I was probably watching the same three games. In particular, the Michigan State vs. Nebraska game. What a way to have your National Championship aspiration pulled out from underneath you.:smiley_acbt:

I watched those game with two buddies. We had pours of Van Winkle Lot B and Four Roses OBSK before we shared bottles of Bell's Oracle, Three Floyds Apocalypse Cow, Three Floyds Munsterfest and some Three Floyds Coffee Stout that was pretty good.

Michelob Amberbock with fajitas and 3 football games on the TVs. Yea I know and I don't care, I like it.

As do I, great food beer.

Laughing Skull Amber Ale from the Red Brick brewing co. in Atlanta. For these low gravity brews I buy those made locally (defined as being within a half day drive from my house) and always check freshness date.

As do I, great food beer.

Also good after a day in the river (fly fishing) or pushing the lawn mower. Cool front passing by us tomorrow, so I may have an Obsidian Stout after work. :grin:

Arizona is on my list of places to do some fly fishing. In our ongoing pursuit of red ales last night's selection was Riverbank Red by Ghost River Brewing in Memphis.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.