What bourbon are you enjoying? Winter 2015/16!

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I think "underwhelming to most reviewers" is a bit of a stretch.  The 2014's biggest fault was that it happened to follow the 2013 "125th", which had widespread acclaim, and arguably could have been the best in the series, according to many.  A tough act to follow!  However, this observation is not meant in any way to discount your own review, and comparisons to other Small Batch LE's and other single recipe private selections that you have enjoyed.

I for one was quite pleased that the 2014 didn't rate as well as the 125th, which was adequately reported in all those online reviews. This kept the hoards away who buy on reviews/ratings (so they can flip) and allowed me to stock up a half dozen or so of these. I agree it's not as good as the 125th, but it's still damn good and I like it quite a bit.

Packing up the basemental to get the house ready to sell is dusty work.  After the evenings work was done, started with some always tasty 4RSB.  Kicking back now reading with the first pour from Bookers Noe Secret batch.  Lovely stuff, this is.

Just opened up Woodford Sonoma. The port smell is very prominent but the taste is still very bourbon, I wouldn't have thought from the nose. I get a lot of sour cherry on the taste also, more like a sundried cherry, not a fresh one. Only had my second pour in the past few days but my first impression is a somewhat unappealing nose with a nice flavour. A bit thin and short finish tho. I am enjoying this more than the bottle of 100% corn whiskey I had to bump up with half a bottle of rye but I'm still mostly loving WT Diamond Anniversary.

Finishing a nice Wednesday night with some HHSS SB#2.  Freaking delicious whiskey . . . that Ox might have been on to something ;)

Dunno what is going around tonight, but --

HHSS SB#2 for me, too.  Just about an ounce neat with a side of warm water.  Picked it BEFORE I logged on to SB.  I have about an inch left in the bottle.

Caramel finish lasts and lasts on each tiny sip.  This could go on for hours.

7 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Nuh uhhhh…GULP! :P 

Just kidding Harry. Enjoy sir.

Cheers! Joe

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Dunno what is going around tonight, but --

HHSS SB#2 for me, too.  Just about an ounce neat with a side of warm water.  Picked it BEFORE I logged on to SB.  I have about an inch left in the bottle.

Can someone help me out with the acronym? Heaven Hill ... Store Select? StraightBourbon #2? Was this a forum barrel pick? Love to get in on one of those. 

53 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

Can someone help me out with the acronym? Heaven Hill ... Store Select? StraightBourbon #2? Was this a forum barrel pick? Love to get in on one of those. 

The HHSS is Heaven Hill Select Stock.  It is their "catch-all" label for exclusive or one-off Bottlings.  SB.Com selected 2 barrels of 8 yr wheated HH bourbon that were further aged in Cognac casks for different time periods.  The first barrel  (HHSS #1) was aged 19 mos (as I remember), and the second (HHSS#2) was aged 27Mos in cognac.  These barrels were offered to SB members a couple of years ago and are utterly spectacular whiskies.  You can purchase the HHSS Cognac at the HH Gift Shop, though they are different barrels, of course. 

Finishing off a bottle of ORVW10.

Will move on to some ECBP.

The rain seems to have let up for the moment...

Was able to try the EC NAS last week and while it's definitely the same it's not bad at all, a little sweeter and definitely less oak but a good bourbon for the money even without the age statement.  Also picked up and finished off a bottle of Hancocks Presidents Reserve but happened to pick up a couple more for the bunker

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

The HHSS is Heaven Hill Select Stock.  It is their "catch-all" label for exclusive or one-off Bottlings.  SB.Com selected 2 barrels of 8 yr wheated HH bourbon that were further aged in Cognac casks for different time periods.  The first barrel  (HHSS #1) was aged 19 mos (as I remember), and the second (HHSS#2) was aged 27Mos in cognac.  These barrels were offered to SB members a couple of years ago and are utterly spectacular whiskies.  You can purchase the HHSS Cognac at the HH Gift Shop, though they are different barrels, of course. 

It might also be worth noting that these cognac barrels were the ones that were first used to finish the PHC #5 Cognac Finish which was the HH rye bourbon mashbill. So this was presumably their second time being used to finish a whiskey which I thought made the cognac character a bit more subtle. I liked both the PHC and the HHSS of course. I may be in the minority and it surprised me a little as I love port and cognac finished whiskey and figured I would like the bottle with the longer finishing time but I think I liked the SB.com HHSS #1 a bit better than the #2, at least once it got near the bottom of the bottle.

To fully appreciate them both I suppose opening one of each at about the same time and conducting an extended longitudinal SBS would be the best way to be sure! It would be a major sacrifice on my part of course but somebody has got to do it... B)

36 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It might also be worth noting that these cognac barrels were the ones that were first used to finish the PHC #5 Cognac Finish which was the HH rye bourbon mashbill. So this was presumably their second time being used to finish a whiskey which I thought made the cognac character a bit more subtle. I liked both the PHC and the HHSS of course. I may be in the minority and it surprised me a little as I love port and cognac finished whiskey and figured I would like the bottle with the longer finishing time but I think I liked the SB.com HHSS #1 a bit better than the #2, at least once it got near the bottom of the bottle.

To fully appreciate them both I suppose opening one of each at about the same time and conducting an extended longitudinal SBS would be the best way to be sure! It would be a major sacrifice on my part of course but somebody has got to do it... B)

Thanks for cleaning that up, Bruce.  Correct on the provenance of the finishing barrels.  They were first used in the prior PHC release.  

From my own standpoint, at selection, #1 was my pick as the best of barrels tasted.  Though, all were good.  The extra finishing time benefitted #2, and it has turned out to be my favorite.  

Who knew that #2 would turn out to be so good in the end...;););) 

I too, am working on a pour of Baker's.  It's big, bold and Beam... all good! 

Finished a barrel select of Belle Meade barrel strength 9 yr and now moved on to a pour of Blanton's SFTB 

Shining my shoes, glass of PVW 20, thinking about my friends funeral tomorrow. Been a really down week gents.

Remember to call and hug those that you love.

B

2 hours ago, BFerguson said:

Shining my shoes, glass of PVW 20, thinking about my friends funeral tomorrow. Been a really down week gents.

B

BF, you don't lie, tomorrow is never certain.  I am having another pour of RHF for your friend, and I am sorry hear this awful news.  Remember the good times that you shared with your friend, my thoughts are with you.

5 hours ago, BFerguson said:

B

My condolences. 

Good morning everyone!  A nice bright sunny day here in Livonia and I'm enjoying a WLW 125.3 while my coffee is brewing.  This is a wonderful way to start a day.  Be well everyone.

In advance of hockey practice.  So warm and creamy.

Batch #4

image.jpeg

Edited by Jacket

SB Blend with an Oliva O out on the front porch.  

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!