What bourbon are you enjoying? Winter 2015/16!

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, Louisiana said:
11 hours ago, Louisiana said:

I like the counter and backsplash you got there jacket.

Oh yeah. And the Stagg!

Too funny.  You have great taste!

Edited by Jacket
double quoted

This morning a little WLW 134.8 neat.  This is a candidate for a few drops of water.

I don't make a habit of keeping multiples around, especially of stuff I've never had before, but somehow I ended up with 2 Stagg Jr. batch #4 bottles. So I decided to open one last night. It was surprisingly muted, didn't seem anything like its proof... but it's possible my tastebuds were off last night. It will, of course, merit further investigation...

Having a little EWBIB and watching MSU vs. Purdue on TV. I love this time of year.

Go Green!

Watching the Red Wings win a very dramatic game against the Rangers, in come-from-behind-to-tie fashion with only 32 seconds in regulation.... Winning in OT.

Went with a BTAC theme; around the beginning of the second period pouring  WLW, following that around the beginning of the third with GTS.    Very Enjoyable Afternoon.

On the occasion of my 60th birthday I invited some friends over and we proceeded to finish an open bottle of ER17 (Spring 2012) along with some Fuente 8-5-8 and OpusX.  Truly the only way to celebrate.

6 hours ago, GrPeMi said:

It will, of course, merit further investigation...

This cannot be denied.

I opened a new bottle of BIB Henry McKenna, aged 10 years.  59mL shot measured in respect to my late wife's birthday tomorrow, when she would have been 59 years young.  Damn, it still hurts...

Anyway, the McKenna is a nice smooth bourbon.  I'll savor it, one 59mL shot at a time.

13 hours ago, Prof_Stack said:

I opened a new bottle of BIB Henry McKenna, aged 10 years.  59mL shot measured in respect to my late wife's birthday tomorrow, when she would have been 59 years young.  Damn, it still hurts...

Anyway, the McKenna is a nice smooth bourbon.  I'll savor it, one 59mL shot at a time.

A toast to your late wife. McK is a great choice.

17 hours ago, Prof_Stack said:

59mL shot measured in respect to my late wife's birthday tomorrow, when she would have been 59 years young.  Damn, it still hurts...

If I could absorb and lessen a bit of your hurt, I would be willing.  Best thoughts, fellow bourbonite.  

Prof_Madhatter

Edited by Madhatter

I've discovered recently, quite by accident, that IPA is quite the palate cleanser, or primer, as the case may be. Whenever I have one at dinner, the bourbon I have after tastes about as good as I can remember it tasting. I've been taking advantage of this with various 4R PS bottles since I figured it out. To be sure this compatibility wasn't just a 4R thing, I tried it with Baker's tonight, and wouldn't you know it, it works with this too. Tremendous. 

Am I out to lunch here or does anyone else find that IPA's (or similar) stack the deck in favor of bourbon taste?

Opened a 200ml AA BIB tonight and while I've always liked this whiskey, tonight it was better than ever. Don't know if it's just my poor memory but this bottle seems to have a little more oiliness to it. Wonderful stuff, a darn shame it's another AA that's gone away

Since I can't seem to find any Weller12, I started drinking my "poor man's" vat of OWA:WSR, 3:2.  Nice "wheater" that's actually quite yummy - 2 fingers turned into 4 rather quickly!   :wub:

Edited by GeeTen

Still working on this bottle, W.L. Weller Special Reserve tonight, it will be gone.

21 hours ago, flahute said:

I've discovered recently, quite by accident, that IPA is quite the palate cleanser, or primer, as the case may be. Whenever I have one at dinner, the bourbon I have after tastes about as good as I can remember it tasting. I've been taking advantage of this with various 4R PS bottles since I figured it out. To be sure this compatibility wasn't just a 4R thing, I tried it with Baker's tonight, and wouldn't you know it, it works with this too. Tremendous. 

Am I out to lunch here or does anyone else find that IPA's (or similar) stack the deck in favor of bourbon taste?

I guess it could, as long as it works for you, that's all that matters.

All this talk of cutting back around here of late, and coincidentally, I've been keeping it to one pour a night for the past couple of weeks.  My pours have been back and forth between OF BIB, OGD BIB, Barrell Whiskey, Baker's and 4RSB. 

Tonight, I thought I'd mix it up a bit and go with some KCSB. 

On March 14, 2016 at 10:25:42 PM, flahute said:

I think the bitterness of an IPA will help the sweetness of bourbon shine.  

3 hours ago, Grain Belt said:

I think the bitterness of an IPA will help the sweetness of bourbon shine.  

I had that same thought. 

I've been working on some low fill bottles and just finished off a Parker's Wheat Whiskey. Will follow with some OESK. Good thing I already have a replacement for the OESK on deck.

Spring is here on the campus, in the mid 80s yesterday, trees budding, flowers blooming, coeds in T-shirts and shorts, I'm having some Old Grand Dad.

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!