What bourbon are you enjoying? Winter 2015/16!

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's been a long week at work. This should be Friday. :ph34r: Regardless, I'm having a couple of pours of Stagg Jr Batch #4.  Wonderful. :rolleyes:

Cheers! Joe

Having a great pour of HM BiB 10y barrel 2081. This is a very good inexpensive bourbon. 

Began the evening with Russel's Reserve SB Rye.  Finishing the evening with Stagg Jr's latest release.  Good to be alive!

22 hours ago, squire said:

Spring is here on the campus, in the mid 80s yesterday, trees budding, flowers blooming, coeds in T-shirts and shorts, I'm having some Old Grand Dad.

[ASIDE: OMG, Squire has an avatar. Is that really him?  I'm in love.:wub: He has more hair than I do.]

Wed PM I finished a plastic cap OGD BIB (into which I previously had poured a new label OGD BIB) and immediately refilled it from a new label OGD BIB and returned the orange capped one to my TV trash can.  Tonight is 2 oz. of 4R OBSQ CS with a small cube (now melted) and a side of ice water.

Honoring the day with a pour of Jameson 18yr. Bought this a few years ago along a few bottles of bourbon at what was then the very beginning of my enthusiast journey. At the time, the Jameson was my "high end" pour. It didn't take me long to set it aside as I gravitated more and more towards bourbon of all prices. I'm enjoying it tonight but it doesn't satisfy the same way that bourbon does so I feel a little OESO coming on to cap off the night.

Well, there goes my bracket up in flames.  A big FU to Sparty.  :angry:  

Going right to ECBP...

Edited by smokinjoe

Having a nice pour of WT CGF to end the workweek and kick off the weekend. 

A recommended blend of MM46 & Larceny to dull the pain of a Sparty loss. Ugh. 

But the blend was pretty good !

I've been on a hearty 4R kick the past couple weeks and almost went there again tonight but called an audible at the line and declared a wheater night. Kicking off with OWA and will follow with some HHSS#2.

A nice pour of WLW 125.3 to start the day.  I could do this every morning.  As I say at work "I could be retired in two weeks."

I tried OWA for the first time last night.  I opened a single barrel pick from Binnys, and all I can say is wow!  For once the hype around a bottle did not disappoint.  I found WSR to be nasty, but, the weller mashbill imo shines with higher proof.  I know a store that has OWA for $25, so I will have to pick up the regular bottling to do a sbs.

4 hours ago, Golzee said:

I tried OWA for the first time last night.  I opened a single barrel pick from Binnys, and all I can say is wow!  For once the hype around a bottle did not disappoint.  I found WSR to be nasty, but, the weller mashbill imo shines with higher proof.  I know a store that has OWA for $25, so I will have to pick up the regular bottling to do a sbs.

I've had good and not-so-good regular bottles of OWA recently, but I think it's becoming my favorite BT wheated bourbon overall.

Been a few days since I checked in here, in the meantime I finished off an open bottle of Medley's 10yr, an open bottle of Blanton's, and started working on an opened bottle of Blade and Bow.

Started working on a 1792 private pick with dinner, and staying with that for rounds 2 and 3.  Nice balance of wood and sweet, and more flavor than I get from the retail small batch (think this barrel was over 9 yrs old).  

Met some friends for dinner and drinks at a Speakeasy I hadn't been to before. I was surprised to see a pretty extensive and diverse bourbon list. Given how well stocked I am at home, I rarely buy bourbon out unless it's something rare or discontinued that I haven't tried or am out of. (In a pinch, I'll get a WT101 because it's cheap). I ended up with a JPS 18yr for $17 a pour. So little of that out there any more. 

Now home, capping off the night with an OBSF.

Last year I found an old bottle of OWA 7yr in the recesses of my home bar!  Since I haven't been able to find any OWA for a long  time I have been enjoying the bottle.  Recently, I found a couple new OWAs on a roadtrip and decided to do a taste test on Friday night.  My wife helped to blind the two samples.  It took all of 5 seconds to pick out the OWA 7yr.  Here are my crude notes.

OWA 7yr:  Sweet nose with cinnamon and some toffee.  Not real strong.  The taste was very nice with a balance of sweetness and some spicy aftertaste.  It had a nice medium mouthfeel.  The burn didn't come until much later.  Nice long finish.  

OWA NAS:  At first the alcohol scent was strong.  It was a bit harsh.  I had to get my nose right in the Glencairn glass to get some of the sweet smell.  The initial taste was again strong with alcohol, but some spice and sweetness came through.  Thin mouthfeel.  There was burn and spice on the finish which was OK.  After letting this glass sit for a half hour the alcohol smell and taste dissipated greatly.  It was a nice glass of whiskey and I will enjoy this bottle, but it doesn't have the complexity, finish or mouthfeel of the 7yr old.  

I guess this is to be expected, but it was fun to compare the two.  Since BT seems to be way behind producing as much OWA as the market desires there is little hope of them ever going back to a "7 Summers Old" statement, but a man can hope.

old_weller_antique.gif

Edited by Canarse
Figured out the picture issue!

Some '14 FR SmB LE. So good.  I like the fact that this did not gather great love from the masses. More at a reasonable price for me

I couldn't bring myself to open the SFTB Just yet, so I'm opting for this open bottle of Stagg Jr on a fine Sunday evening in Colorado.  I've been more than pleased with this batch, and the richness and complexity of the barrel proofs in general have me hooked at the moment.

image.jpeg

GBS WT SB 110 pr is singing right now.  

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2016‎ ‎7‎:‎10‎:‎34‎, Special Reserve said:

A nice pour of WLW 125.3 to start the day.  I could do this every morning.  As I say at work "I could be retired in two weeks."

Try the retirement I highly recomend it

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!