What bourbon are you enjoying? Winter 2015/16!

Paddy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I finally picked up Old Grandad BIB with the new label.  It seems as good or better than I remember. B)

Having some EC12 while smoking a pork shoulder in the smoker. The EC12 is really hitting the spot right now, and the smells coming from the smoker are starting to get reeeaaalllly good!   :-)

image.jpeg

56 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Three fingers, MMCS, batch 15-03. 

I would join you, but we're preparing to head out to dinner for my wife's birthday. I did try a little of this batch on Friday night and found it to be MUCH better than that older batch I had. (I did have a small pre dinner pour of 4RYL just because. Purposefully kept it low proof though.)

Chattanooga 1816 Cask Strength. This is a really nice pour that keeps getting better. It will be sad once the bottle is empty but I'm glad to have another in the bunker.

7 hours ago, silverc said:

Chattanooga 1816 Cask Strength. This is a really nice pour that keeps getting better. It will be sad once the bottle is empty but I'm glad to have another in the bunker.

Chattanooga 1816 Cask Strength is surprisingly one of my favorites!  I prefer it to the most recent Stagg Jr batch 5, and it's a close second to ECBP imho. At $39.00 for 750ml, I think it's one of the lower priced cask strength offerings.  OGD 114 is had to beat at $29.00 though!

Edited by starhopper

A 1:1 vatting of OGD 114 & BT that's been sitting on a bookcase since January.  Glass is empty; need more, but 'Father Brown' is on & I haven't seen this episode before.

On 3/6/2016, 9:30:20, PaulO said:

I finally picked up Old Grandad BIB with the new label.  It seems as good or better than I remember. B)

Pretty much my take as well.

14 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

A 1:1 vatting of OGD 114 & BT that's been sitting on a bookcase since January.  Glass is empty; need more, but 'Father Brown' is on & I haven't seen this episode before.

You've got style my man.

Still stuck on the 'E's of 4R with OESK and OESO hitting the spot solidly.

In 2013 Four Roses dumped a number of OBSV barrels from the east section of Warehouse M, all 9+ years in the barrel and all, by my reckoning, outstanding versions of the standard FRSB. Lots of pepper and spice and great mouthfeel. I've thoroughly enjoyed the following over the past few years...ME 8-3C, FR Gift Shop (x3); ME 8-6C, DeKalb Bottle House selection (x2); ME 7-2L, Smoke Rise Bottle Shop selection (x2); ME 9-3N and ME 9-3R, Liquor Barn in Lexington (Christmas gift pack, bought several). Jim Morrison is singing "The End" in my head right now as I finish up the last pour from the last remaining bottle of my Warehouse ME cache. 

Having the second small pour from a freshly opened (yesterday) bottle of 4R SmB LE 2014. I know that it is going to need some air time, but I have some earlier (2012-2013) BP store selects that straight-up blow this out of the water (Davidson's OBSO and Canal's OESV). Not complaining, though- happy to try this one as it is my first (opened) 4R Limited to date- acquired from Europe (50ml shy of a full bottle, at 700ml). Looks like the 2014 was underwhelming to most reviewers, not just me.

I think "underwhelming to most reviewers" is a bit of a stretch.  The 2014's biggest fault was that it happened to follow the 2013 "125th", which had widespread acclaim, and arguably could have been the best in the series, according to many.  A tough act to follow!  However, this observation is not meant in any way to discount your own review, and comparisons to other Small Batch LE's and other single recipe private selections that you have enjoyed.

My recollection of the '14 LE... subtle drinking, floral, minty, a little thinnish, but easily in my top five for that year (right up there with the SB HHSS#2).  

Continuing the theme, I'm enjoying three fingers of a PS standard SB (KE-57-5T) that I've declared to be a 'honey barrel'. 

So much so, that over the course of '15, I just happened to bunker up about a dozen of these little jewels!  :D

Out back enjoying this beautiful Spring evening with a pour of Baker's.  Beam in general, and Baker 's specifically, are totally in my wheelhouse, in recent months.  

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I think "underwhelming to most reviewers" is a bit of a stretch.  The 2014's biggest fault was that it happened to follow the 2013 "125th", which had widespread acclaim, and arguably could have been the best in the series, according to many.  A tough act to follow!  However, this observation is not meant in any way to discount your own review, and comparisons to other Small Batch LE's and other single recipe private selections that you have enjoyed.

I guess I didn't quite express that fully- I was thinking relative to the previous year release (I have yet to open mine) and for me, underwhelming to some great SB's that I have had. Better crack the 125th for a SBS to see what all the fuss is about.

13 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Out back enjoying this beautiful Spring evening with a pour of Baker's.  Beam in general, and Baker 's specifically, are totally in my wheelhouse, in recent months.  

Same with the out back which is a bonus in Chi this time of year. And a nice pour of a Mr. Blank(le) :Dpick of 1792  Ridgemont Reserve from a few years back is  firing on all cylinders. 

1 minute ago, T Comp said:

Same with the out back which is a bonus in Chi this time of year. And a nice pour of a Mr. Blank(le) :Dpick of 1792  Ridgemont Reserve from a few years back is  firing on all cylinders. 

That was a great one.  KBS did some fine work!

SB.com HHSS here on a not very Winter feeling March night.

• p_elliott locked this topic
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!