What Bourbon did you pass up? Winter 2015/2016

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

2 hours ago, flahute said:

The price actually came down on something?:blink: Was there a funny guy with a camera following you around?

Swear to God, I was looking for him!  :lol: 

I actually held off on posting this last week but, my findings today confirmed my earlier suspicion. 

So what are we batting now, 014?  :wacko:

Any words on the 1792 port finished whisky? My liquor store got a few bottles and I wanna know if it's worth a buy.

7 hours ago, SebastianLloyd said:

Any words on the 1792 port finished whisky? My liquor store got a few bottles and I wanna know if it's worth a buy.

I reviewed it in this thread.  Nice, if not well integrated, IMO.

https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/23663-1792-port-finished-review/#comment-491594

I was near one of the stores I frequent after a doctor's appointment finished earlier than expected so I stopped in.  I passed on everything, despite my urge to grab another EC12 at $26.  I noticed there were several 1792 Sweet Wheat bottles and some ETL in the office with notes on them, reserved for customers (who were not me).  I still haven't been able to secure a Sweet Wheat but life goes on.  I have enough ETL in the bunker, thankfully.

Still riding high on the fact that I procured a fair amount of Bell's Hopslam this week.

Jason

Passed on Micther's 10yr for $169 and ECBP for $99.

Agree, who needs secondary market when stores are trying to sell at or above secondary market prices. All is good though, have enough in the bunker to last for a good long while...

Have actually made less and less trips to the store "just to see what is there" in the last couple months

Edited by Radsman13

1 hour ago, Radsman13 said:

All is good though, have enough in the bunker to last for a good long while...

Have actually made less and less trips to the store "just to see what is there" in the last couple months

I've been making about the same number of trips but I am buying bourbon a lot less frequently due to bunker overload.  If only I didn't have a weakness for expensive craft beer...

Jason

mentally passed on the Michter's 10 Year Rye announced today, as I have done with all their releases. saving $150 never felt so good. =)

Passed on a bottle of 2007 EWSB. I know HH paraded the 2006 version out a little early last year as it used to be a 10 year old vintage, but come on now! We are barely into 2016 and they are already rolling out the '07 stock? I guess it is only going to get worse before or if it gets better moving forward. I am guessing we will see the '08 versions on shelves before Christmas. I will try a post the pic I took tomorrow.

Passed on Michters 10 for $119.99 today.  Does this come in liter bottles?  The bottle looked large in comparison to other Michters I've seen.  I would have looked but it was behind the counter and I knew I wasn't buying it anyway

3 hours ago, Hop said:

Passed on Michters 10 for $119.99 today.  Does this come in liter bottles?  The bottle looked large in comparison to other Michters I've seen.  I would have looked but it was behind the counter and I knew I wasn't buying it anyway

Bottle has Broad Shoulders so to speak.

passed on barrel bourbon batch #4, and picked up a binny's select 1792 (loving this stuff) and a larceny instead.

16 hours ago, Hop said:

It does look big and it is pretty heavy glass but definitely a 750 if they are still using the same bottle as was in this Wednesday tasting from a couple of years ago56bdeff24cf98_Wednesdaytastings19MAR14.J.

I passed on a WTKS at $42.  OK, I got that out of the way. 

I passed on another whiskey that I had never seen before and I am curious whether others know anything about it or have tried it - James E. Pepper Straight Rye Barrel Proof.  It was around 117 proof and $37.  I know it is from MGPI in Indiana.  I was more curious about the age and flavor.  There is very limited information on-line.  It appears to be 3 to 4 years old, which is actually not bad for an MGPI rye.  Willett had a pretty solid 4 year old version out a few years back for around $30.  I know Bone Snapper has a 2 year old version (108 proof) for around $30.  Just curious.

12 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I passed on another whiskey that I had never seen before and I am curious whether others know anything about it or have tried it - James E. Pepper Straight Rye Barrel Proof.  It was around 117 proof and $37.  I know it is from MGPI in Indiana.  I was more curious about the age and flavor.  There is very limited information on-line.  It appears to be 3 to 4 years old, which is actually not bad for an MGPI rye.  Willett had a pretty solid 4 year old version out a few years back for around $30.  I know Bone Snapper has a 2 year old version (108 proof) for around $30.  Just curious.

I've tried it and would get it again at the right price.  If you like the rye from MGP, no big surprizes here.  

16 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

If labeled Straight and less than 4 years old, it has to say the age doesn't it? (I may be foggy on that rule).

Their basic rye is decent. I'd try barrel strength at that price at a minimum of 4 years old.

57 minutes ago, gusto16 said:

Passed on this little gem of a deal 

Dang! I didn't know I drank almost $600.00 worth of bourbon in the last month. :huh:

Old Rip1.jpg

Old Rip2.jpg

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Dang! I didn't know I drank almost $600.00 worth of bourbon in the last month. :huh:

Old Rip1.jpg

Old Rip2.jpg

Big spender.

Not bourbon, but passed on Baby Saz at $23.99 today.  So hard to do, but I am well stocked at home already and simply don't need more.  It is generally available closer to $29.99 around here.

3 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Old Rip1.jpg

Old Rip2.jpg

Elmer's looking pretty lean as well, Joe. I'll stop by and help you finish them off

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.