What Bourbon did you pass up? Winter 2015/2016

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some ETL hit the area and I passed on it at $42.  I paid $36 last time it was available and have 3 bottles in the bunker.  I guess neither is a bourbon, but I passed Gifted Horse for $47 and Angel's Envy Rye for $70.  I was tempted by the AE Rye...I read that the rum barrel finish makes it noticeably sweet.  Curiosity may get the best of me.

Jason

1 hour ago, jp_stargazer said:

Some ETL hit the area and I passed on it at $42.  I paid $36 last time it was available and have 3 bottles in the bunker.  I guess neither is a bourbon, but I passed Gifted Horse for $47 and Angel's Envy Rye for $70.  I was tempted by the AE Rye...I read that the rum barrel finish makes it noticeably sweet.  Curiosity may get the best of me.

Jason

that AE Rye is a thing of beauty... price is why I have passed on it except for the one time I did buy it.  at $70, it's a good price for it.

I passed on KCSB for $38.  I can find KC for $25 occasionally, so I'm not sure if the single barrel is worth the up charge.  Any thoughts?

20 minutes ago, Golzee said:

I passed on KCSB for $38.  I can find KC for $25 occasionally, so I'm not sure if the single barrel is worth the up charge.  Any thoughts?

definitely worth the up charge...  Binny's had some barrel picks of the stuff a few months ago, not sure if they still have it though.

9 hours ago, Golzee said:

QPR beats Booker's, so my answer is yes.

Edited by Paddy
Add... Basically honey barrels of KC

4 hours ago, Paddy said:

QPR beats Booker's, so my answer is yes.

I'm gonna pick up a bottle tomorrow.  But, qpr be damned...bookers is the shit and it will be tough to beat in the beam family.

I passed on Eagle Rare in 375ml bottles for $20. The skinny bottles looked pretty cool, but ER is on sale right now nearby for $22 for 750ml. As much as I liked the look of the little bottle, I'll save my money for the bourbon inside. 

Passed on EC18year - just can't bring myself to break so far out of my $50ish self-imposed limit.

I was in Nashville on business most of the week, so I stopped by the mother ship yesterday (HH) on my way home.  Of note, I ended up passing on HHSS, some age stated EC12 and EC23.  Why?  I was looking for ECBP batch 10, which apparently has already become yet another unattainable 'unicorn' in KY. 

Hilariously, the gift shop rep (after advising me that they were sold out) advised me that nearby Toddy's had three bottles this morning.  Apparently they had been telling folks this all day long, as it was 4:30 pm when she told me.  :lol:

After arrival, those poor, old, three bottles may have lasted all of 5 minutes at Toddy's...  They sure as hell never made it to a shelf! 

Yes, HH marketing 101 (at its finest), is...

1.  although just released, we do not have the most desired product on hand and,

2.  we will pass our customers off to a nearby local, to be turned away yet again. 

Edited by Paddy
To add: Ticked off, I did text a friend/shop owner who lives 3.5 hours to the east, who graciously will hold a bottle for me.

I passed on a Michter's 10yr yesterday. Walked into the local and there were 7-8 of them on the shelf. $125 I think. I had that initial rush of excitement at seeing a limited/allocated bourbon on the shelf. On the actual shelf! My instinct was to grab one and run. Then I remembered it was Michter's and that it's ridiculous to pay that much for a 10 year old bourbon unless there's something truly special about it. So I walked away with MMCS, MM, and ECBP instead. And for just about the same price.

I passed on everything BT today.  I do admit, it was nice to see some of the old friends on the shelf (AA, BT, WSR, ER10, Blanton's).  Furthermore, most everything here is now limited to 1 bottle, which is good for the stores who have decided it's better to let more than just a few have a crack at 'em.

Rock Hill Farms at $60. Took it to the register, rang it up but the computer rejected the 10% coupon because it was an allocated bottle. I think I can find it for $55 so I passed. Also passed on ECBP at $150 at another store. Sheesh. 

Edited by Charlutz

On 2/26/2016, 12:36:40, flahute said:

Then I remembered it was Michter's and that it's ridiculous to pay that much for a 10 year old bourbon unless there's something truly special about it.

Everyone has to pick their battles, but since the Stoll and Wolfe legal action, I'm done with Michters, whether they end up making spectacular stuff or not. There's other spectacular stuff. Hopefully Stoll and Wolfe's distillate will rock after a few more years and I can gleefully buy their stuff instead.

Was excited to come across some more Elmer T Lee for my collection but passed on it for $62 when I had paid $36 a couple weeks earlier in Michigan.

10 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Everyone has to pick their battles, but since the Stoll and Wolfe legal action, I'm done with Michters, whether they end up making spectacular stuff or not. There's other spectacular stuff. Hopefully Stoll and Wolfe's distillate will rock after a few more years and I can gleefully buy their stuff instead.

I picked that same battle. I was already avoiding Michter's due to their lack of transparency combined with artificially high prices, but the Stoll and Wolfe action made it easier for me to maintain that resolve.

I keep passing up a nice selection of Four Roses SB's (OE's and OB's) at Hazel's for $64.  Maybe it's because there's 10 of them, or maybe I don't like paying > $50 for a bottle.  :shrug:

A local chain has Corner Creek Reserve Bourbon on sale this month for $19.98 . . . passed since it just doesn't hit on all cylinders for me . . . there's an earthy/soil note that I can't get past.

Edited by Swoboda

I passed on Michter's single barrel rye ($65) and the Toasted Barrel ($70).  I'm normally up for giving limited releases a try, but for some reason I can't seem to pull the trigger on Michter's.  Never tried any of their products.  Should I give them a try?

1 hour ago, vismatt said:

I passed on Michter's single barrel rye ($65) and the Toasted Barrel ($70).  I'm normally up for giving limited releases a try, but for some reason I can't seem to pull the trigger on Michter's.  Never tried any of their products.  Should I give them a try?

It is always a bit of a personal choice. I have had some that were decent but none that seemed worth the premium they demand with the possible exception of some early 10yo single barrel rye's that were rumored to be much older than the stated age. But that is essentially a unicorn.

Add on to that the lawsuit brought by Michter to block the effort to revive the Bomberger's name (something Chatham Imports, who has no connection to the history of Michter's other than buying the name)  and I just don't really have much desire to give them any business. Plenty other to chose from! 

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

It is always a bit of a personal choice. I have had some that were decent but none that seemed worth the premium they demand with the possible exception of some early 10yo single barrel rye's that were rumored to be much older than the stated age. But that is essentially a unicorn.

Add on to that the lawsuit brought by Michter to block the effort to revive the Bomberger's name (something Chatham Imports, who has no connection to the history of Michter's other than buying the name)  and I just don't really have much desire to give them any business. Plenty other to chose from! 

This. In spades.

12 hours ago, Swoboda said:

A local chain has Corner Creek Reserve Bourbon on sale this month for $19.98 . . . passed since it just doesn't hit on all cylinders for me . . . there's an earthy/soil note that I can't get past.

Maybe it had cork taint?

14 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

...and clubs, diamonds, and hearts.

Edited by The Black Tot

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.