What bourbon are you enjoying? Spring 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Back to a recently purchased PS Smooth Ambler 10 yr.  Like a lot of the MGP bourbons that I've tried, and with most of those being run through SA, it's nice, serviceable, bourbon.  But, as hard as I try, they just don't make it past "nice", for me.  Nothing off putting, but they never seem to hit that next gear for me.  This one is stuck there, as well.  But, I'll say the nose on this particular barrel is pretty enjoyable.  

Elijah Craig 12 year old, Evan Williams White Label Bottled in Bond and Four Roses Single Barrel. 

Decided to go with some Bookers 25th while watching the title game tonight. Been a while since I have visited this bottle and forgot how damn complex and tasty this bottle was.

A couple years ago I bought a Johnny Drum Private Stock on a tip that it was a quality value bourbon. It was. Back then at least. It was fantastic and in the mid $20's. I was really enjoying that bottle but I gave it to a friend who was just getting into whiskey. Didn't think much of it because it was cheap and readily available. Of course, about the time I went back for another, it was no longer readily available. It got caught up in the hype of all things Willett/KBD. As time passed, I started to notice a slip in quality in all the other KBD bourbons I tried. Given that they are all sourced, it stood to reason that their supplies were stretched thin and that they were forced to bottle them sooner to keep up with demand. (I have no proof of that, it's just my opinion based on taste.) 

Well, I finally came across another Johnny Drum PS and nostalgia got the better of my reason and I bought it. Poor decision. (I knew better. I'm too much of an optimist). As with many of the KBD's I've had recently, I get that wet cardboard taste. (I also get this in the 4yr EW and HH BIB's, which makes sense). 

I let the bottle sit for a while after the first pour to see if some "air time" would bring it around. (smokinjoe is cringing at the suggestion. Sorry man, I'm desperate and will try anything). No dice. It's still wet cardboard. Even those who know better can get snookered from time to time.

OWA. I'm still experimenting a little with my blend for the Sampler. :ph34r:

Cheers! Joe

What bourbon am I enjoying?

Simply, Enjoying doesn't do this whiskey justice, right now.  Savoring, might be a better description...

Dang!  Beam whiskies are killing it with me, and I feel like a kid in a candy store.

Enjoying is too strong of a word for......Johnny Drum Private Stock and Rowan's Creek. I documented the reason for my Johnny Drum purchase above and I have to say that it is getting better (but still, no contest compared to McKenna). I bought the Rowan's because a local owner who has hooked me up in the past made a special note to let me know it was in back and not on the shelf. I bought it to show appreciation for the past hookups. It also has the wet cardboard taste......totally not worth the price. Fingers crossed it comes around like the J Drum did. I'm going to follow this with either a 4RPS or McKenna to remind the palate what a really good whiskey is supposed to taste like.

Beam Bond from the fridge.  Yum.

Bookers 25th Anniversary.  Distinctively Bookers with a little more sweetness and barrel char. It was excellent!

Starting early today with MMCS plus a cube (already melted).  We're supposed to get cold rain tonight and cold rain with wind tomorrow (SAT) and a freeze warning Sunday night so I did yard work starting early this AM and just finished.  I got warm enough to crave a wheated over my regular ryed.  (Ryed?  I may have to go back to using the dreaded "wheater" reference).  It always surprises me how much more I like MMCS with a cube (taking the proof to just under 100) than either the MM or MM46.

Working towards the end of a PHC 27yr.

It has lost a bit of its luster since opening, shame really. Such a magnificent whiskey.

B

Sent from my iPhone

Had a lovely pour of Bakers at the hotel earlier this week, but tonight really enjoyed some Bowman 18yr, Ezra 12 SB, and ETL.  Everything in the glass seemed to hit just right (I love when that happens!!)

Been pounding through a Contradiction, mainly just to get rid of it.  It's fine, but nothing special.  I make a better four grains vat, frankly, and one that's fully aged at that.

I'm taking a page out of Will's book this morning. Alongside my after breakfast, second cup of coffee, I'm having a small pour of 2012 WLW.

Cheers! Joe

Hi Joe,

Hope you are doing well.  Just had a little 126.6 WLW.

Be well.

Will

Back at ya' Will. With WLW, it's all good. :D

Cheers buddy. Joe

Currently enjoying an approximate 50/50 vatting of Henrt McKenna BIB and RRSB.  This is outstanding to me.  Seems to carry forward the best of both.  

Had a couple pours of 4-R SmBLE '14, the second one with my son-in-law, who really loved it.     I like it better than some here, who down-play it; I guess, comparing it with either '13 or '15, which admittedly were stellar.    Personally, I find the '14 almost as good as either.     The peppery, fresh-baked-sour-rye, and baking spices I get are just fabulous.    The nose isn't quite the equal of either of the other two; but, still not bad, and the finish lingers and evolves in a very interesting way.   Just My Humble Opinion, of course.     I wish I had another bottle, as this one is over half-gone, and I'm already missing it.   HA!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.