What bourbon are you enjoying? Spring 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Went with ER10 followed by VOB6 after a long day at work.........ugh.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sipping on some Four Roses Private Selection OBSO. I think I like the OESK recipe better, but this is still a wonderful pour.

Edit: Worth noting that I got to try some 2014 Sazerac 18 in a restaurant a few days ago. They had glencairns so that was a bonus. I thought it was absolutely amazing (even though the pour was 35 bucks). Definitely will be trying to get my hands on a bottle from here on out.

Edited by taddraughn

WTRB Batch 3 - the 108.2 proof with an ice cube to relax after a very long day - followed by some neat/short OGD BIBs.

Enjoying a Jackies 1792 PS in my hotel room at the Greenville, SC Marriott.  Kudos to them for excellent glassware in the room! :lol:

image.jpg

I don't know Joe. I think I know three of the numbskulls on that tasting panel. Are you sure that it is any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, BigRich said:

I don't know Joe. I think I know three of the numbskulls on that tasting panel. Are you sure that it is any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you would figure, it's an anise bomb!  :lol:

Actually, it's very good.  Very floral.

I've been trying some interesting things here at the Bourbon Affair. 

Yesterday at Wild Turkey, drank some wonderful bourbon right out of the barrel. Eddie was pouring and said that this could be either Kentucky Spirit or Russel's Reserve. (They could choose it for either). It drank quite well at the literal barrel proof (somewhere around 118) so I'd hope that they would call it RR.

A little later, we got a preview of the new Master's Keep Decades bourbon that's coming out later this year. It has a little 10 year old in it, mostly mid to high teens, and a little 20 year old as well. This one is bottled at 104 proof and has more punch and boldness to it compared to the 17 year old Master's Keep. Very nice.

Today at Evan Williams Bourbon Experience, I tried three barrel proof whiskers that they don't currently bottle. These were provided to show us differences in barrel type and char level and what they do to flavor. 

Sample 1 was a 1 year old standard rye recipe bourbon aged in 3 year air dried heavily toasted Chinquapin oak barrels. Though it had some new make flavor to it, it was quite impressive how good it tasted and it had the same color as the two 7 year old samples. This oak has a much tighter grain and ages the bourbon faster. It's also very expensive.

Sample 2 was a 7 year old rye recipe bourbon aged in heavy char (not sure if that means #4 or #5) barrels. Sample 3 was the same aged in #3 char barrels (Heaven Hill's typical barrel). I preferred the heavy char. The flavors were more pronounced. If they bottled this, I would be a buyer.

Lounging out on the hammock with a pour of 4R Super Premium that a great friend gifted me.  

image.jpg

A BT neat which I haven't tasted without being vatted with OGD114 was a nice start to Thirsty Thursday.  Followed that with a standard 4RSiB and now having a OGD114 with a cube.  My decanter of OGD114:BT is probably next in the rotation.  

First let me say how nice it is to see Fozzy back among us.     Glad you're around again, sir.

I killed off the last of an earlier version of SB Blend that had been languishing in my closet.    ....About 5-ounces of the 50-50 original attempt that I've since changed to 60-40 in favor of OWA.

The 50-50 actually was pretty good, and got better with more air; but I'm sticking with the 60-40, as long as I can acquire any more W12.... a dubious proposition, I suppose.

At dinner with the wife and some of her co-workers, I had a KC on the rocks, followed by an Old Fashioned with RR6 Rye.  Since getting home, I poured some MM46CS, and now some CEHTBP while watching the NBA Finals.

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

First let me say how nice it is to see Fozzy back among us.     Glad you're around again, sir.

I killed off the last of an earlier version of SB Blend that had been languishing in my closet.    ....About 5-ounces of the 50-50 original attempt that I've since changed to 60-40 in favor of OWA.

The 50-50 actually was pretty good, and got better with more air; but I'm sticking with the 60-40, as long as I can acquire any more W12.... a dubious proposition, I suppose.

TY, I left for a while cuz I was a bit of an ass to the mods/admins truth be told but figured I would give it another shot now with a calmer head.

We should try to meet up again for a lunch.

60/40 SB is so good.  I am going to make this pint I have left last as long as possible cuz who knows when I will be able to mix another.

Just had a pour of my last pours decanter from the fridge with some paramount garlic pita chips and oasis garlic hummus, not sure what is next but probably time to hit the back row of barrel proofers.  I guess ECBP 139.8 with a cube of ice will have to do............

Edited by fozzy71
drunk typos

EWSB 2007. Great taste at a great price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, flahute said:

I've been trying some interesting things here at the Bourbon Affair. 

Very nice report. Thanks for sharing.

Started with some ER10 before moving to the ol' dependable SB Blend (70/30, heavy on OWA).  Something about a pour I don't have to think too hard about . . . just nice, sweet, and satisfying

KCSmB and LastPours from the fridge with a cube, now a warm pour of OGD114:BT from the cabinet over a cube.

Nothing special tonight...or is it?  Finishing off a bottle of EC NAS.  I have really enjoyed this bottle.  In fact, I have enjoyed this bottle more than my most recent bottles of EC12.

Full 1.5 oz pour of ECBP 139.8 with a big cube.  Nectar of the gods I tell ya.  It really doesn't get much better than this IMO.  It is going great with my new Nautilus X atomizer tank and RY2K (RY4 Tobacco, Toasted Almond, Toasted Marshmallow and Caramel) nicotine liquid.

Started with ECNAS and just finished a pour of SAOS10SB.  Trying to decide on #3.  Decisions....Decisions....

^yukk

I have a pint of jameson that may outlive me.  Scotch got me back into whiskey but bourbon saved me.

p.s. please fix or replace this forum software.  quote/multi-quote is fubar

It was a rough week at work.  Maker's Mark Cask Strength (111.4 proof), to Stagg Jr (132.2 proof) and I'm about to pour a couple of ounces of Old Weller Antique.  Tomorrow morning might be a little rough though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.