What bourbon are you enjoying? Spring 2016

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, fozzy71 said:

^yukk

I have a pint of jameson that may outlive me.  Scotch got me back into whiskey but bourbon saved me.

p.s. please fix or replace this forum software.  quote/multi-quote is fubar

I rarely stray away from bourbon.  I like Glengoyne because it's unpeated.  I do actually kinda enjoy some Jameson in my coffee every now and then.

I've brought it back to the good ole U.S. of A. with my nightcap pour though.  A 1.5oz pour of 4RSB PS OESV should hit the spot.   :-)

Spent the evening at Heaven Hill sitting under a tent looking at the rickhouses as the sun set while watching Bernie Luebbers on guitar and a talented bluegrass mandolin player take us through the history of bourbon as told through bluegrass music. In addition to some excellent brisket and sides, the music was paired with pours of new make whisky, Mellow Corn, Pikesville, Henry McKenna, EW Single Barrel vintage 1996 (wow........now that's something good), and ECBP. In addition to the incredible music and storytelling, we were surprised by a dessert pour of Parkers Heritage Congac Finish. 

Incredible night.

7 hours ago, fozzy71 said:

^yukk

p.s. please fix or replace this forum software.  quote/multi-quote is fubar

You were gone, but have returned as the same old Fozzy.  More bitching and complaining.

9 hours ago, Fort Knox said:

Switchin' it up....  Glengoyne 12yo.  Haven't done Scotch in a while.

How doed Glengoyne 12 compare to Macallan 12?

Post-workout sip today with my buddy. Found this bottle on sale recently so I picked it up. Hadn't heard much good about it, but the price was right. 

We enjoyed it. Definitely seemed "light" to both of us which was nice since we were both a sweaty mess. 

20160618_121118.jpg

Had a WT101 julep last night. Tried an Alton Brown recipe with fine sugar muddling the mint leaves with some pellegrino on top and then the bourbon. Didn't like it as much as when I made it with simple syrup, but it's been a year since I had one. Further testing is required. 

Also tried Special Reserve's breakfast treat and put a little Baker's 107 in my espresso. It either doesn't work in espresso or I'm doing it wrong in some other way. Had to dump it, but coffee with a 1/2 shot on the side sounds appealing. 

Edited by Charlutz

Should have posted earlier this morning.  I enjoyed a WLW 134.8 with a few drops of water.  Always good.

A little primer before I head to the local concert series and work the beer and wine booth on this fine 90°+ day. A total butterscotch bomb of ND Old Grand Dad. Thank God for the secondary market, otherwise these old bottlings would be unobtainable. 

Edited by Phil T

Drinking my own custom blend of 15% 7yr bourbon, 30% a different 7yr bourbon, 45% 16yr bourbon, and 10% 23yr bourbon. I'm quite pleased with it.

I attended a Bulleit event at the Bourbon Affair and we ended with an exercise in sensory training and blending. After some education, we got to create our own custom blend using beakers to be precise. They can't bottle it for us, but I liked mine so much I poured it into one of the paper spit cups ( a clean one for those wondering) and took it with me on the bus ride back to the hotel. 

Had a great day swimming and just spending some QT with the family.

Enjoying ECBP (138.8). Freshly opened this evening. This is just great stuff.

Working on a Stagg Jr batch 3 and just opened my EH Taylor SB from last year, loving this one.

uploadfromtaptalk1466305982847.thumb.jpg I'm liking this the more I drink of it. Has a very distinct taste to me that is growing on me. May follow this up with VOB6 to try and kill that bottle off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Haven't seen the McKenna bottle before. Eagle rare is great...I'm having a glass of bulleit rye right now.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

1f45b2185928b81490ec4edcafa52afe.jpg

This morning I'm enjoying a nice pour of age stated OWA dated 07.  A nice Father's Day treat.  Why didn't I buy more of this when they were available?  This is suburp value bourbon.

22 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

uploadfromtaptalk1466305982847.jpg I'm liking this the more I drink of it. Has a very distinct taste to me that is growing on me. May follow this up with VOB6 to try and kill that bottle off.

Yeah, I like it too.  A little rough edged, but kind of its charm as well.

For me tonight: Rhetoric 21, EC12, BT, and some non-bourbon whiskeys (Glenmorangie La Santa & Akashi White Oak).

ECBP 134.8 (batch 5) while watching NBA finals game 7. Sublime American pour. 

The Bourbon Affair has wrapped up and it's been a long but extremely satisfying week. I spent a little time running around with Paddy this afternoon and we had a pour of NAS Bernheim in honor of smokinjoe. We were lookin for the doughy quality he talks about and we found it. 

Back at the hotel bar this evening for the final quiet night and am celebrating with a pour of '14 GTS. A fitting capper to a fantastic week. 

The Ky Bourbon Affair group did a 4R barrel pick with Brent Elliott the other day.  So, I made the venture over to Cox's Creek today, and  may be having a nice pour of a 9 yr/4mo; 59.3%; OBSF 'bout right now...:rolleyes:

I'll defer to Steve (Flahute) for all the selection details, as well as his impressions (while I just drink it!).  :D

Going with stagg jr tonight for fathers day. Happy father's day to all the dad's out there.

On June 18, 2016 at 8:54 AM, BigPapa said:

How doed Glengoyne 12 compare to Macallan 12?

I'm really not a big fan of Scotch, but I like Glengoyne because it's unpeated. It's not quite as "Scotchy" as other Scotches. So, if you like Scotch, you'll probably like the Macallan better. 

18 hours ago, Paddy said:

The Ky Bourbon Affair group did a 4R barrel pick with Brent Elliott the other day.  So, I made the venture over to Cox's Creek today, and  may be having a nice pour of a 9 yr/4mo; 59.3%; OBSF 'bout right now...:rolleyes:

I'll defer to Steve (Flahute) for all the selection details, as well as his impressions (while I just drink it!).  :D

Oh man......it's been about a week since we picked that barrel and I've consumed SO much bourbon since then that I can't remember any particular notes other than that it won me over the more time it had to absorb the water I added and breath. 

What did you think of it?

Don't often drink during the week but I thought I might have a pour tonight.  Sometimes just because.

Enjoying a nice pour of HKM10.  I have really been on a Heaven Hill kick lately.  I bought three bottles over the weekend - Pikesville, RittBIB, and EC NAS.  I realized on the way home that they were HH.   I bought some ECBP last week.  I am not sure how much is preference vs. availability and QPR.  It really doesn't matter because I have been enjoying HH products recently.

22 hours ago, flahute said:

The Bourbon Affair has wrapped up and it's been a long but extremely satisfying week. I spent a little time running around with Paddy this afternoon and we had a pour of NAS Bernheim in honor of smokinjoe. We were lookin for the doughy quality he talks about and we found it. 

Back at the hotel bar this evening for the final quiet night and am celebrating with a pour of '14 GTS. A fitting capper to a fantastic week. 

Cheers to you fellas!  I would have enjoyed hanging with y'all.  I love that doughiness quality in the early years of Bernheim.  The 7yr is no slouch, however.  

Saluting y'all back with a freshly opened 2010 GTS.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.