What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Spring/Summer 2016

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 hours ago, Auracom said:

Did this exact comparison last week, funnily enough. The 25 has that depth of richness in the sherry that is clearly absent from the 18 (reminiscent of the old Ben Nevis 25 cask strengths). But... I liked that the 18 still had some good spirit-drive in it that makes it super drinkable.

Truth be told, they both taste a LOT more alike than not and neither are worth anywhere near the current MSRP's. I would buy case(s) of Glendronach before going for a 25. 

ZsBWp0T.jpg

Great call. 

I love the Glendronach 21 yr parliment 

A lovely dram of The Circus last night while finishing Stranger Things on Netflix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My lovely wife just booked our flights for a trip to Scotland next June, so I brought out this gem from Signatory that our friend Lost Pollito recommended to me. Absolutely delicious!

P1090059.JPG

Had about a pour and a half left in my bottle of Balblair '90.  The more air it got, the grassier it got, so I figured it was high time to eliminate with prejudice.  Great sherried whisky overall, but probably a one time buy for me.  Too many other similar fish in the sea, and they are all tasty fish.  Gotta try em all.

3 hours ago, bdrinker said:

Aberlour 12. Non chill filtered sherried beauty.

I really like the NCF version of the 12yo.  Sadly I can't get it in Arizona, I have to stock up when I go to Colorado.   Single Malt shopping and fly fishing make the road trip worth it.  ;)

Redbreast Cask Strength, Compass Box GSK, and Compass Box The Spice Tree.  I'm becoming a CB fanboy.

8 hours ago, fenderbender4 said:

Redbreast Cask Strength, Compass Box GSK, and Compass Box The Spice Tree.  I'm becoming a CB fanboy.

Hi Nate.

I never tried the Redbreast cask strength. Is it worth the purchase?

is it as sweet on the palate as they say it is?

Edited by BigPapa

Opened up the latest Chieftain's Mortlach 18 Sherry Finish (cask 91792 I think . . . hard to read).  PX finish, 46%, NCF, natural color.  Initial nose . . . sherried Mortlach.  Maybe some sour notes at first, but it opens up after some time in the glass to reveal Christmas cake and a nice clear savory note.  Not quite roast beef, maybe the au jus that goes with your standing rib roast at Christmas dinner.  At least in my house.  Turkey is our Thanksgiving meal and we are usually sick of it by Christmas.  I've considered experimenting with goose, but I'm not sure anyone besides me would eat it.

Palate:  nice soft entry.  Sweet and sour tannic sherry than on the palate.  Arrival reminds me of GlenDronach 15, development closer to the nose, with less cake and more au jus.  The finish keeps the sweet and savory theme.  You know, this reminds me of a good Belgian beer.  St Bernardus 6 or 8, maybe.  Not sure why.

So far so good.  I haven't opened any Chieftain's in a while, good to see that they are still releasing good casks.  Finished whiskies can change pretty drastically as they get more air, but this one is pretty tasty off the bat so I hope it stays mostly the same.  More "Mortlach" than the G&M Mortlach 15, though that one is easier drinking and I'd expect it to be more of crowd pleaser.  This.  This is why I continue to buy IBs period, and why I hoard Mortlach whenever possible.  I'm sure there is a less expensive 18yr+ sherried NCF 46%+ Mortlach out there, but I believe I paid a semi-reasonable $90 for this.  Plenty of it still.  May grab another bottle, or make it a priority to order a bottle of the TWE Signatory Mortlach next time I am mucking about with overseas orders.

I don't drink a lot of foreign whisky, but I have been going through my bunker.  I re-descovered this 100 proof 6 year old Canadian Club.  It had been years.  In the mean time, I have tried many rye whiskies.  This stuff is really pretty good.  I would get more.  I don't know if it's even still available.

Edited by PaulO

Spent some time with Talisker 10 last night, and wondered why I don't spend more time there.  Just a very satisfying dram

On 8/8/2016 at 6:21 AM, BigPapa said:

Hi Nate.

I never tried the Redbreast cask strength. Is it worth the purchase?

is it as sweet on the palate as they say it is?

Hey!  Honestly to me the sweetness gets bumped up a little, but not more than the other notes that are found in the regular 12.  Definitely more of the drier wood notes get amped up.  

20 minutes ago, fenderbender4 said:

Hey!  Honestly to me the sweetness gets bumped up a little, but not more than the other notes that are found in the regular 12.  Definitely more of the drier wood notes get amped up.  

Cool

thanks

Final pour from a bottle of anCnoc 16. Absolutely love this, have got a few backups. Cheers all!

Gotten a bit chilly tonight, warming up with some cask strength Caol Ila. Top stuff.

Cheers all!

Had an afternoon bottle kill pour of Uigeadail.  Somehow managed to drink this bottle pretty quickly.  Must have a slow leak.  

The best part about finishing a sherry/peat whisky is picking which sherry/peat whisky will replace it.  

Started on Springbank 15, moved onto a Springbank 16 Single Cask fresh sherry. Wonderful dram.

Cheers all!

18 hours ago, beasled said:

Started on Springbank 15, moved onto a Springbank 16 Single Cask fresh sherry. Wonderful dram.

Cheers all!

Looks to be a UK only bottling unfortunately. Will have to make do with the excellent Springbank Sherry Wood 17yo!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Yep UK only I'm afraid.

Tonight I am sipping on some 2007 Bruichladdich Islay Barley. Which I pilfered from a friend's hotel room as it was in the mini bar. Quite agreeable stuff. Like a higher proofed Hazelburn. Delicious.

It's still warm, but the copious rain storms this afternoon have me reaching for a Macallan 15.

It's still warm, but the copious rain storms this afternoon have me reaching for a Macallan 15.

I'm having Macallan 12 that a great friend gave me with a Blind Man's Bluff on the patio

069e1e7ef14ac8f1bb6d67a49aeb6918.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.