What Dram Are You Pouring Tonight? Spring/Summer 2016

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a small pour of Macallan Edition No. 1 last night. A nice NAS sherry forward whiskey that is easily identified as Macallan. Followed this up with a large pour (to finish the bottle) of Dalmore 12.  A quality Scotch with a rich body and mouthfeel for an 80 proof whiskey. 

Tonight it was Springbank 12 CS. Great stuff. 

Sipping some Crown SB, and wondering why I don't revisit this one more often.  So much more flavorful & intense than CR.  

On 8/20/2016 at 5:49 PM, beasled said:

Haywire quote system

Compass Box Spice Tree.  Definitely a nice spiced character to it.  Based off a single taste, this is likely to be my favorite regular CB expression.  If the Extravaganza version is affordable, I'll certainly consider buying it.

13 hours ago, garbanzobean said:

Compass Box Spice Tree.  Definitely a nice spiced character to it.  Based off a single taste, this is likely to be my favorite regular CB expression.  If the Extravaganza version is affordable, I'll certainly consider buying it.

It has become my favorite of the Signature Range. I am very interested in the Extravaganza as well and plan to get one if I can find it.  I certainly expect it to be more than the (in my opinion) very affordable regular Spice Tree but so far I haven't been able to find an indication of the likely price for it or the 3yo Deluxe. I don't really even have a good guess for either at this point. Prices are getting so high it is discouraging to even speculate!

17 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Some Laphroaig Lore tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is that?  I have heard reviews ranging from "amazing" to "more of the same Laphroaig preoccupation with wood treatments." 

How is that?  I have heard reviews ranging from "amazing" to "more of the same Laphroaig preoccupation with wood treatments." 

Let me preface by saying two things: 1) I really enjoy wood finished scotch. 2) I hate wood finished Laphroaig.

With that said, it is definitely one of the best integrations of wood finish in a Laphroaig that I've tried. BUT! I would still rather have the CS 10 yr. I was sent the sample from their PR firm so I didn't shell out $125 for it. I would have a very hard time paying that for it. Bottom line, if you like Triple Wood and Select then you will probably love it. If you are more of a basic Laphroaig guy like me then I wouldn't drop the coin.

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Let me preface by saying two things: 1) I really enjoy wood finished scotch. 2) I hate wood finished Laphroaig.

With that said, it is definitely one of the best integrations of wood finish in a Laphroaig that I've tried. BUT! I would still rather have the CS 10 yr. I was sent the sample from their PR firm so I didn't shell out $125 for it. I would have a very hard time paying that for it. Bottom line, if you like Triple Wood and Select then you will probably love it. If you are more of a basic Laphroaig guy like me then I wouldn't drop the coin.

Thanks!  Looks like you just saved me $125.  

Cracked open my Eleuthera, and after carefully removing the busted cork (irritating, but thankfully didn't have to decant/strain!), am totally digging this.  Never had it before but the nose reminds me of a more mellow Flaming Heart.  Some nice fruity notes under the smoke and peat.  On the palate, it just explodes - more so than I expected.  Feel pretty fortunate to have got a bottle of this (while simultaneously cursing the plight of falling in love with stuff they just don't make anymore!)

21 minutes ago, GaryT said:

Cracked open my Eleuthera, and after carefully removing the busted cork (irritating, but thankfully didn't have to decant/strain!), am totally digging this.  Never had it before but the nose reminds me of a more mellow Flaming Heart.  Some nice fruity notes under the smoke and peat.  On the palate, it just explodes - more so than I expected.  Feel pretty fortunate to have got a bottle of this (while simultaneously cursing the plight of falling in love with stuff they just don't make anymore!)

Now that you mention it I recall my Eleuthera cork disintegrated as well. But it is more than a decade old after all! It was last made in 2005.

Couldn't help myself and opened the Clynelish 2012 Distiller's Edition.  Really lovely whisky.  The nose is rich/thick, with dark fruit, chocolate, sherry and hints of floral.  The palate is more gentle; a viscous waxy mouthfeel with sherried raisins and a very subtle/subdued spice (bit of cinnamon).  I tried Clynelish 14yr this spring after hearing John Glaser talk it up (in all fairness, he was explaining that it was a terrific malt as a base for blends - but I'd never had it before).  I wasn't immediately a fan.  But I definitely wouldn't shy away from other bottlings that might be aged or finished in sherry.  

Just opened up an Exclusive Malts 2001 Bowmore 12 yr.  I won't go crazy giving notes on this yet, but it seems pretty good.  The sherry influence definitely tends toward the sour part of the spectrum, but the overall effect is nice.  The reviews I've read of it don't line up with my experience so far, but that doesn't mean much.  I'll give it some time to breathe, for sure.

Since brandy wasn't doing it for me, I decided to attack from the opposite side of the spectrum: Lagavulin 8, which is tasting perfect. 

Poured out some samples for later and now I'm finishing the last of the bottle.  Which means I get to pick out another bourbon cask peater to replace it.  Austere whiskies have been tasting good lately.  Thinking it'll be my old friend Caol Ila 12, but I better have a look around just to make sure I don't have something else tucked away.  I'd consider Laphroaig QC, but Laphroaig + heavy wood has been tasting a little pukey to me of late.

Edited by garbanzobean

I threw an audible and opened the bottle of Kilchoman 2008 vintage.  Nose is quiet.  Right now all I'm getting is root vegetables, freshly turned earth, and baked apples, but that is likely because of my initial foray into Lag 8.  Palate comes off as fully mature, with sweet stewed stone fruit, rocky peat, cinnamon + nutmeg, and some faint traces of vanilla.  Finish is where the peat really hits.  No hint of immaturity or really even too much youth.  This spirit is ready to go.

Okay guys, I admit it, this is really good.  It isn't $100 good, but it sure is a long ways off from the Machir Bay 2013 I panned so badly.  If it were the same price as Ardbeg 10, I'd say this was the better whisky--though Ardbeg presents as much peatier.  In craft whisky terms, I would pay the same as Springbank 10, so $50-$70 U.S.  the problem is that this whisky is $60 more than Ardbeg 10, and $30 more than Springbank 10 marked up to the highest possible degree.  That dog don't hunt.  If they knock $30 off the pricetag--ONLY charging $10 per year of maturation--and release this as their core spirit, I'll keep a bottle around at all times.  Regardless, this is a fantastic one time purchase.  Might even replace it for Eric + 10 years.

This evening has gone Clynelish 14 > Talisker Storm > Laphroaig 10.

It's been a pleasant evening. 

Cheers all!

A Compass Box mingle of The General and TINAL.  Was curious if it was possible that some combination of these two would surpass The General, but not the case (although still a damn fine pour; but won't use any of my remaining ounces of General on trying other ratios).  

Opened that bottle of BenRiach Heart of Speyside I was gifted.  The gift was very much appreciated in the spirit in which it was intended, but the whisky itself was not my thing.  It came off as grainy and very young, with some odd Tobermory-like off notes.  Harsh wood influence makes me think a significant portion was aged or finished in small casks.  I tried it on the rocks (I'm still away from home, don't have my bar to work with), and it was worse.  It astounds me how much BenRiach is charging for this.  Most JW Black-ish price category blends are head and shoulders better for much less. 

I know how this is going to end, and I have too much whisky at home to keep this around.  Air time isn't going to save this.  No offense intended toward the sincere gift giver, but I dumped this.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.