What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2016

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Yesterday was a good day on the bourbon hunt. Came home with a bottle of regular BT, OWA, and EC12. Was very surprised to find a 750ml of EC12 still in the wild. I thought they had been all scooped up by now. I guess I missed some on my first go around in the area. Oh well, lucky me.

For some reason I got a wild hair up my ass to represent every major distillery & mash bill combination on my bar.  I had most of them, but what I didn't have I set out to buy today: 1792 small batch, Larceny, OF Sig, FRSiB, WR, and OGD 114. This will also knock WR off my "Forest Gump" bourbon list.  (BTW, Larceny at $19.99 may be the best deal in all of bourbon land.) 

Also, I picked up a KC 2001.  I really had NO intention of hunting this down at all, but when I walked in the store there it was, looking right at me, mocking me, even persuading me with "C'mon, you know Pappy and BTAC might as well be a myth at this point, just buy me instead."  Ok, sold.  Dammit.

For some reason I got a wild hair up my ass to represent every major distillery & mash bill combination on my bar.  I had most of them, but what I didn't have I set out to buy today: 1792 small batch, Larceny, OF Sig, FRSiB, WR, and OGD 114. This will also knock WR off my "Forest Gump" bourbon list.  (BTW, Larceny at $19.99 may be the best deal in all of bourbon land.  This is quickly becoming my everyday pour.) 

Also, I picked up a KC 2001.  I really had NO intention of hunting this down at all, but when I walked in the store there it was, looking right at me, mocking me, even persuading me with "C'mon, you know Pappy and BTAC might as well be a myth at this point, just buy me instead."  Ok, sold.  Dammit.

Wow, nice haul today!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1465682499345.thumb.jpgbrought this guy home with me today. Haven't ever seen a store select in Oklahoma so couldn't pass it up. Also was interested in trying something from wt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Image1465684008.232261.jpg.e7be46c3ba61d

Found this today!![emoji817][emoji817][emoji817] cost me $55. Can't wait to taste it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I happened to be passing by a liquor store I haven't been to recently, so I stopped in.  I noticed they had a bottle of regular Buffalo Trace.  My usual store has been out of that for a while, and the only BT I've tried before is a store pick single barrel, so I bought this regular one.  Someday I'll do a side by side with the store pick I have.

5 hours ago, dcbt said:

For some reason I got a wild hair up my ass to represent every major distillery & mash bill combination on my bar.  I had most of them, but what I didn't have I set out to buy today: 1792 small batch, Larceny, OF Sig, FRSiB, WR, and OGD 114. This will also knock WR off my "Forest Gump" bourbon list.  (BTW, Larceny at $19.99 may be the best deal in all of bourbon land.) 

What if you were to drink WR while watching Forest Gump?  :lol:

2 hours ago, trufunk said:

Image1465684008.232261.jpg

Found this today!!emoji817.pngemoji817.pngemoji817.png cost me $55. Can't wait to taste it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!  I picked up one today as well!  I also picked up a Maker's Mark Private Select.  It is 111.2 proof.  What I find interesting is that, while it identifies the selected staves, it doesn't identify the barrel number. 

Edited by mbroo5880i
Added another bottle

ETL is back - $29.99 OTD at a local liquor store!  Got 2 with the help of wifey.   :D

Picked up a store select BT for $25 at the local liquor store.  I plan to open it after I work down my current open bottles including KC and RR10. 

so I was at Binny's today picking up some beer for a tailgate tomorrow, but forgot to look for Not Your Father's Vanilla Cream Ale, so decided to check the liquor store next to where I was meeting the P's for dinner.  Low and behold it was there.  so I decided to check the bourbon aisle to see what they got... big pass on CEHT SB for $83, CEHTSmB for $52!! Blanton's for $80 and also a Baby Saz at who knows what outrageous price.  All of these were limit 1 per customer.  Kept looking down the aisle and low and behold, ECBP!  but for $60.  not a horrid price, but no limit on these, so I took 2 and left 2 on the shelf for others.  looks like it is batch 11.  good thing because I just finished off a bottle of my last ECBP.

57 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

Stagg Jr Batch 6

Nice grab. You managed to get one through the lottery?

15 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Nice!  I picked up one today as well!  I also picked up a Maker's Mark Private Select.  It is 111.2 proof.  What I find interesting is that, while it identifies the selected staves, it doesn't identify the barrel number. 

Did you get the one from Crown or the one from Big Red? I'm curious to hear what you think of it. I really enjoyed the MM46CS from the gift shop so I'll probably end up grabbing one.

9 minutes ago, amg said:

Did you get the one from Crown or the one from Big Red? I'm curious to hear what you think of it. I really enjoyed the MM46CS from the gift shop so I'll probably end up grabbing one.

I picked up the one from Crown.  They are having their release event next Saturday.  I have been thinking about opening it when I get home later.  I will let you know what I think.  :)

On June 8, 2016 at 8:03 AM, Canarse said:

Not sure if it's true, but I was told there will be no ETL in NC this year.  According to this ABC the state didn't buy enough of some other non bourbon product and the distributor cut off ETL.  Who knows if it's true, but I haven't seen a bottle this year.

I touch base with several area stores and have not heard of any getting ETL in this year.   

Three bottles today:

Picked up a bottle of Old Charter 101 for 13 bucks at Sam's. What the heck, I'll give it a shot.

My bunker additions (different store): Smooth Amber Old Scout Single Barrel and ER10.

Edited by Ozark

7 hours ago, amg said:

I opened the MMPS tonight.  It is from Crown Liquors and 111.2 proof.  The Oak Finishing was 2 Seared French Cuvee, 6 Roasted French Mocha, and 2 Toasted French Spice.   

Straight

I poured an ounce in a Glencairn and let it sit for several minutes. 

Nose - Initially, there was a strong hint of alcohol along with spice and cinnamon. The alcohol note was actually a little irritating to the senses.  I nosed the bourbon for about 10 minutes before tasting.  As time went on the alcohol note lessened but was still noticeable.  A more pleasant butterscotch note became apparent.  I also noted a hint of fresh tobacco.  However, my wife said she didn't pick up on that.

Taste - It was pretty hot on entry and mid-palate.  It had a strong family resemblance to MMCS but hotter and not in a good way.  I noticed some cinnamon and caramel flavor.  However, I felt the alcohol over powered the other flavors.

Finish - The finish was a little dry but medium length. 

Impression - If I were to rate this whiskey based on the first pour of a newly opened bottle and straight,  I would prefer MMCS, which is generally $15 to $20 less expensive. It was a little drier than I like.  In fact, that is one of the less appealing characteristics of MM46.

One Ounce w/a Small Ice Cube (roughly 100 to 102 proof)

I let the ice cube melt before proceeding.

Nose - Significant improvement.  The alcohol note disappeared.  I noted a nice sweet butterscotch smell with mild baking spice.  Almost like a bakery roll.  Maybe this was the small amount of ice/water or maybe a little added air time.

Taste - A nice cinnamon and caramel flavor but also a hint of berry/cherry.  One of my favorite flavor profiles.  I would compare this to some of the better OWAs that I have had.  Yet, it had a thicker mouthfeel and was consistent from entry to mid-palate.  I thought it most resembled MMCS rather than MM46

Finish - This finish was much smoother than straight and had a hint of red cream soda, which confirmed my berry/cherry impression on the palate.

Impression - The small amount of water/ice/air helped greatly.  I really enjoyed this pour!  I think it is a littler drier than MMCS.  I have always thought MM46 is drier than regular MM.  I am really looking forward to trying this after a little air time.  I have always found higher proof wheated bourbons to be better as the bottle has been open a little while. 

I would certainly buy another bottle.   I think it would be a better value $10 cheaper.  However, some times you have to pay a little more to try something different.  Of course, with MM, while you trying a different product, there is no question of the quality.  I know some think this is a "marketing" gimmick and it may well be.  After all, will the differences between different stave variations be that noticeable?  However, one of the appeals to me was to get to try MM46CS with which this is closely related.  It would be really interesting to have tasted the base whiskey before finishing to see how much it changed. 

14 hours ago, jackthedog said:

Nice grab. You managed to get one through the lottery?

I did manage to get selected through the lottery.  It seems like they're putting just about every new release through the lottery now.  We'll see how this goes.

Four Roses Small Batch seems to be on sale on the north side of KC, MO. I found one supermarket that had it at $27/750 ml and another has it at $24/750 ml until the end of the month. I had a bottle last year that I thought was so-so but this one is pleasant and isn't devoid of charm.

Elsewhere, CVS in KC, MO is advertising both BT and WT101 at $19.99/750 ml. The BT will be first on the list since I don't have any around. The WT would be nice to have around for Independence Day.

Not today, but last week I purchased a bottle of Old Forester 1870 and the 100 proof Signature. Look forward to seeing how they compare to 1897 which I am quite fond of. 

Also picked up a couple bottles of 4RSiB because the price was too good to pass up ($34).

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I opened the MMPS tonight.  It is from Crown Liquors and 111.2 proof.  The Oak Finishing was 2 Seared French Cuvee, 6 Roasted French Mocha, and 2 Toasted French Spice.   

Straight

Nose - Initially, there was a strong hint of alcohol along with spice and cinnamon. The alcohol note was actually a little irritating to the senses.  I nosed the bourbon for about 10 minutes before tasting.  As time went on the alcohol note lessened but was still noticeable.  A more pleasant butterscotch note became apparent.  I also noted a hint of fresh tobacco.  However, my wife said she didn't pick up on that.

Taste - It was pretty hot on entry and mid-palate.  It had a strong family resemblance to MMCS but hotter and not in a good way.  I noticed some cinnamon and caramel flavor.  However, I felt the alcohol over powered the other flavors.

Impression - If I were to rate this whiskey based on the first pour of a newly opened bottle and straight,  I would prefer MMCS, which is generally $15 to $20 less expensive. It was a little drier than I like.  In fact, that is one of the less appealing characteristics of MM46.

Nose - Significant improvement.  The alcohol note disappeared.  I noted a nice sweet butterscotch smell with mild baking spice.  Almost like a bakery roll.  Maybe this was the small amount of ice/water or maybe a little added air time.

Taste - A nice cinnamon and caramel flavor but also a hint of berry/cherry.  One of my favorite flavor profiles.  I would compare this to some of the better OWAs that I have had.  Yet, it had a thicker mouthfeel and was consistent from entry to mid-palate.  I thought it most resembled MMCS rather than MM46

Finish - This finish was much smoother than straight and had a hint of red cream soda, which confirmed my berry/cherry impression on the palate.

Impression - The small amount of water/ice/air helped greatly.  I really enjoyed this pour!  I think it is a littler drier than MMCS.  I have always thought MM46 is drier than regular MM.  I am really looking forward to trying this after a little air time.  I have always found higher proof wheated bourbons to be better as the bottle has been open a little while. 

I would certainly buy another bottle.   I think it would be a better value $10 cheaper.  However, some times you have to pay a little more to try something different.  Of course, with MM, while you trying a different product, there is no question of the quality.  I know some think this is a "marketing" gimmick and it may well be.  After all, will the differences between different stave variations be that noticeable?  However, one of the appeals to me was to get to try MM46CS with which this is closely related.  It would be really interesting to have tasted the base whiskey before finishing to see how much it changed. 

Great writeup. Thanks for posting!

Straight

This should be in its own thread, not lost on page 33 of some what are you drinking. ..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I was at the checkout with a Blanton's. The fellow behind me, with a 375 of vodka, wanted to know how it compares to Jim Beam. "Smooth, heh?" I said there was really no comparison and moved right along before I got sucked into a discussion of relative values.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.