What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2016

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Was surprised to get an email today from TW, stating they had Van Winkle products available for their Reserve and Grand Reserve customers.

So, I got dressed, hopped in the car and headed to the store the email directed me to (not my local TW).

The graphic on the email showed Old rip 10, Lot B, and VW Rye, so I was hoping I might be able to snag a Rye.

Twenty-five minutes later, I walked in to the store to find absolutely no one waiting at the Customer Service counter (I expected at least a few people to be lined up),

told them why I was there, and was notified that the only thing they received was Old Rip 10. (Not the Rye I was hoping for, but wasn't going to turn it down).

Grabbed a bottle of OGD114 while I was there for good measure.

1 hour ago, Flyfish said:

I was at the checkout with a Blanton's. The fellow behind me, with a 375 of vodka, wanted to know how it compares to Jim Beam. "Smooth, heh?" I said there was really no comparison and moved right along before I got sucked into a discussion of relative values.

I was in a store over the weekend and a guy asked me if I knew where the Beam Honey was.  Honestly, I didn't even know there was a Beam Honey.  Looking around I saw WT Honey and pointed him toward it.  Just then, I saw Beam Honey and said "here it is."  He proceeded to tell me how good it was and how great of a deal $9 per bottle was as he picked up two bottles.  I was happy for him.  He found what he likes.

22 minutes ago, kjbeggs said:

Was surprised to get an email today from TW, stating they had Van Winkle products available for their Reserve and Grand Reserve customers.

So, I got dressed, hopped in the car and headed to the store the email directed me to (not my local TW).

The graphic on the email showed Old rip 10, Lot B, and VW Rye, so I was hoping I might be able to snag a Rye.

Twenty-five minutes later, I walked in to the store to find absolutely no one waiting at the Customer Service counter (I expected at least a few people to be lined up),

told them why I was there, and was notified that the only thing they received was Old Rip 10. (Not the Rye I was hoping for, but wasn't going to turn it down).

Grabbed a bottle of OGD114 while I was there for good measure.

Still pretty cool provided the price was fair.  It is good to read that you got dressed before heading out.  Some of us might have skipped that step in our hurry to get to the store.

9 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Still pretty cool provided the price was fair.  It is good to read that you got dressed before heading out.  Some of us might have skipped that step in our hurry to get to the store.

Yeah, I even took a few minutes to walk the puppy around the block before the rain hit.

$69.97 for the Old Rip 10, not bad.

I was at TW on Saturday and overheard a potato asking an employee about Pappy.  The employee said they only had the 10 year in at the moment but were just going to do tastings with them. 

"What else do you have in, anything new?" the tater asked.

"Here's a good one," the employee answered while pointing to Two Stars bourbon.  

I walked away before I saw the outcome.

You'd think the name "Two Stars" would be a quality indicator, even for the uninitiated...

They do like pushing that stuff, though. There's always a "So and So's favorite" tag on the shelf by it... (usually covering the hole where the W12 should be).

Edited by kjbeggs

6 minutes ago, kjbeggs said:

You'd think the name "Two Stars" would be a quality indicator, even for the uninitiated...

They do like pushing that stuff, though. There's always a "So and So's favorite" tag on the shelf by it... (usually covering the hole where the W12 should be).

I can respect the brand's honesty, though.  Reminds me of a dry cleaners I used to pass on my way to work a few years ago.  It was called "Decent Cleaners."  I'm sure something got lost in translation when they were choosing names, but I prefer to think they are just that honest with themselves.  "Look, we aren't great, but we don't suck either.  We're decent."

Edited by dcbt

Having good luck on the ETL hunt in the last couple of weeks.  Got 1 more and an OWA.  

TW&M pushes the hell outta those spirits direct / private label brands.  It's almost like they have a larger profit margin or something.  :rolleyes:.   Some of the stories they have told me and others are down right hilarious, and bald face lies.  :o

Edited by Darwin
Wrong word

Willett Family Estate 13yr and a 4yr. Curious to see what their own distillate tastes like.

8 hours ago, Canarse said:

1792 Full Proof, RRSB, .

Eager to hear your thoughts.  I didn't know this existed as I have been ignoring new limited release / barrel proofers since most of what is left in my bunker is high proof stuff but now that I see this, and that it is available in MI for $47, I am really wanting to try a bottle.

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Willett Family Estate 13yr and a 4yr. Curious to see what their own distillate tastes like.

Do they put anything on the label to indicate that they actually made the younger stuff, or is it assumed just because of the age?

Traveling today so I stopped in at a place just off the interstate that I'd heard good things about. Found Four Roses SB Barrel Strength for $10 less than anywhere back home so I picked it up. Looking forward to opening it up later today for National Bourbon Day. 

16 hours ago, flahute said:

Having tasted the 4 yr. My condolences :(needs more than 4. 

Picked up a JD barrel proof, Bookers Noe Secret, and a batch #5 Stagg Jr to try.

21 hours ago, Darwin said:

TW&M pushes the hell outta those spirits direct / private label brands.  It's almost like they have a larger profit margin or something. 

I'm sure they do. The big box retailers in Texas really push the local stuff too much for it not to be because of profits or sales incentives of some kind.

FWIW, it isn't only TW&M. There are stores in my area that do the same thing. I used to have an "in" with one store manager. He talked to me about this once. The sales rep/distributor basically told him, "We need you to start selling 'Joe's Bourbon'. If you don't, we're not sure we'll still be able to supply you with the same amount of  (insert any good selling liquor here) that we have in the past."  I've heard that same story more than once FWIW. The distributors are basically holding the liquor stores hostage. This was a bit more apparent a few years ago, but with all the new distilled spirits popping up lately, this phenomenon seems to be rearing it's ugly head again.

Joe

Yesterday I came across a VOB BiB 6 year, and since it had the 6 yr age statement I went ahead and picked it up. Who knows when I will ever get around to opening it. I hope it's better than the non-BIB  version I sampled at the distillery a couple years ago. It probably is, but if not, then I'm not out much.

I also picked up a Stagg Jr 129.7 proof batch #5 for the bunker (still working on an open bottle of 132.2).

Purchased a 2016 Michter's 10 Year Bourbon at $85 and  some baby saz for ~$30. I also regret to admit that I have told my local guy I would pick up one of his Booker's Rye when it comes in. Just a couple months ago I was talking about how ridiculous the price is but here I am. 

10 hours ago, PaulO said:

Do they put anything on the label to indicate that they actually made the younger stuff, or is it assumed just because of the age?

In small print on the back it says "Distilled, aged, and bottled by Willett....."

6 hours ago, T Comp said:

Having tasted the 4 yr. My condolences :(needs more than 4. 

Yeah, it's a risk. Some really like it, but it is a single barrel. I'll never see it in a store in Seattle so I figured this was my shot.

I went to a Liquor Barn today and picked up some store barrel selects: ER10, BT, and two OBSK's.

Also snagged a Yippee-ki-yay. I love Kentucky prices.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.