What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2016

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Back to the title. Michters 10 bourbon & EHT Seasoned Wood. 89 & 69 respectively.

Definitely in Bourbon Zen though. Almost passed on both.

Edited by Louisiana
Wording

8 hours ago, flahute said:

I was at Wild Turkey for an event (went skeet shooting with Jimmy and Eddie, that was cool) and got a WT101 in the gift bag. Really great day!

Wow, awesome. That is a great day.

P.S., who came out ahead at skeet?

11 hours ago, jcal1985 said:

Anyone had the Russell 10 yr? I'm always eyeing it...may grab it next week.

I am a Wild Turkey fanatic, but the RR 10 yr 90 proof is actually one of my least favorites in their line. Splurge for the RR Single Barrel and believe me you be glad you did. Or, if you just don't want to go up in price range for whatever reason, go for Rare Breed. Or, if I want to save  cash I go  WT101. But that's just me and my taste.

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I am a Wild Turkey fanatic, but the RR 10 yr 90 proof is actually one of my least favorites in their line. Splurge for the RR Single Barrel and believe me you be glad you did. Or, if you just don't want to go up in price range for whatever reason, go for Rare Breed. Or, if I want to save  cash I go  WT101. But that's just me and my taste.

Good to know. I enjoy WT101 and have been meaning to buy some Rare Breed for a while now...being that I'm probably going to miss out on the 4 Roses Elliot's Select, I may just pick up both the Rare Breed and the RR Single Barrel. 

First time trying both of these.b1ea9eb2c7efb75988da282cff3b3764.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After trying the Beam I thought I liked it, then I had a pour of the Buffalo Trace. The Beam was not bad, it had a nice lingering fruity taste, a little alcohol-y(if that makes sense). But the BT was spot on! I paid 32 for the Beam which is a little expensive. I still need to crack open the ECBP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I picked up a McKenna SB 10 year and a Noah's Mill.  Seen them both a lot but never pulled the trigger before.  I've only opened the Noah's Mill thus far and was impressed.  I had low expectations, but I thought it was quite good. 

I recently had a terrific EagleRare at a restaurant bar, so decided to pick up a bottle today. 

^^^^Yes!  ER10 is killing it right now!  I've picked up quite a few recently, and they're all really well done!

It almost, makes up for the lack of aged BT MB #2 of late...

At today's Beam event at the Bourbon Affair, we received a bottle of 13yr old KCSB. It was the barrel pick from Tuesday.

2 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^Yes!  ER10 is killing it right now!  I've picked up quite a few recently, and they're all really well done!

It almost, makes up for the lack of aged BT MB #2 of late...

ER10 (and quite a few other sb.com favorites) did quite well in the recent LA Spirits Competition.

Restocked a bit with some daily drinkers.  I also picked up that little bottle of JB White because I have never tasted it.

IMG_3416.jpg

Felt like I hit the jackpot finding ELT for $30.25 a bottle.  Stagg Jr & Weller were a couple days prior, but I considered it a good week!

image.jpeg

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy

I picked up a bottle of Blanton's for $48.99.  Great price for around here, usually $60+.  That said, I wasn't that impressed.  I'll try it again in a month or so once I've finished off the bottle of OWA I'm working on.  

I'll agree with the comment about Rare Breed being better than RR.  Rare breed is probably the best tasting bourbon I've come across so far.  But I'm not as experienced as most on here.

Admittedly this is not all from one day, but I spent the last week on the road in TN and KY. Stopped at many stores. Bought entirely too much stuff. Spent entirely too much money. But I only make trips out of state to KY or TN once or twice a year, so I tend to load up on all the good stuff unavailable in VA.

4R PS OBSF (Liquor Barn)
4R PS OBSO (Ashe's)
4R PS OBSV (Ashe's)
4R PS OESF (Liquor Barn)
4R PS OESK (Farragut)
4R PS OESO (Farragut)
4R PS OESV (McScrooge's and Liquor Barn)
BT Store Selections (x4 different bottles)
KCSB Store Selections (x6 different bottles)
Belle Meade SB store selections (x5 different bottles)
SAOS SB Store Selections (x4 different bottles)
HH Black
HH Green 6yr
HH BIB 6yr x2
Wildcatter 8 yr
TW Samuels BIB
JTS Brown BIB
Old Fitz BIB
Old Fitz Prime
Whiskey Row
OKI 10 Year
Dry Fly Wheat Cask Strength
Dry Fly Port Finish
EC 12 Year age stated x2 that were still lingering on the shelf in one store.

And some bottom shelfers that I can't get locally:
Ancient Age 90
Ancient Ancient Age 10 star
Old Bardstown 86 pr
Old Kentucky 4 yr
Cabin Still
Joshua Brook
and the legendary Mellow Corn BIB!

I went to a few distilleries (4R, Woodford, WT, and BT), but none of them had any gift-shop only stuff or limited releases. I was also hoping to find just one bottle each of the new Stagg Jr or ECBP, but no luck. Still thrilled with this haul and it should keep me plenty busy for a long while.

2 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

8 minutes ago, silverc said:

I recall why I quit posting here.  Worst forum software ever.

Pics or it didn't happen, that is quite a haul.  congrats.

Edited by fozzy71
jfc seriously? fix this stuff please

WOW!!!   My wallet is groaning in sympathy for yours, Silverc.    You certainly grabbed up a 'bunkerfull'.

Stumbled across the latest batch of ECBP, and since it WAS the last bottle in the store, safe to say they're now out of stock.  :D

I was gifted a 375ml of Bulleit Barrel Strength and got to taste some in the process so I purchased 2 750's of it while I was at it.  

Haven't tried yet:

Michter's Rye (traded a tequila for this.)

Handcock's Reserve (not easy to find where I live, was curious enough to purchase.)

Gooderham & Warts Four Grain (an intriguing Canadian whisky with a ABV that isn't at 40%!)

Repurchase:

Elijah Craig 12yr (because ~yum~.)

And I found this High West (21yr Rocky Mountain Rye) in a random private liquor store on my way to the Sea to Sky Highway.

imageedit_4_6374284997.jpg

Edited by SebastianLloyd

19 hours ago, silverc said:

Dry Fly Wheat Cask Strength

Have you tried this yet? Any opinions? I've been interested in this one for a year now but I always put it on the back burner.

2 hours ago, SebastianLloyd said:

Have you tried this yet? Any opinions? I've been interested in this one for a year now but I always put it on the back burner.

I've had both Dry Fly wheat port finish and the 80 proof wheat whiskey, but I haven't tried the cask strength yet. The Port finish is good, but I found the 80 proof to be a bit thin and one-dimensional. Same impression for the Masterson's 12 year wheat whiskey, which is also 100% wheat. I think the 100% wheat mashbill leaves a little complexity behind, but I am hoping the cask strength Dry Fly is better.

Edited by silverc

Ran across a few ECBP locally for $65. One came home with me.   Also grabbed my first RHF for $52.  I'm not a huge fan of many BT products but this is much more in my comfort zone.  Proofed high enough to have a bite with a long butterscotch finish.  

We went to a different store yesterday to pick up some things for a family get together today. Even though I don't need any more bourbon, I couldn't resist grabbing a couple of bottles of BT. They were on sale for $22.00 a bottle.  A nice fathers Day gift to myself. Might as well stock up on a couple at that price just in case. FWIW, BT has become my go to bourbon after the Wellers.  

Cheers! Joe

WM had Maker's Mark 750 ml on clearance for $12.50 so I rehomed one.  That's cheap enough for an experiment and if I don't care for it it will make a decent mixer for friends. ;)

WM had Maker's Mark 750 ml on clearance for $12.50 so I rehomed one.  That's cheap enough for an experiment and if I don't care for it it will make a decent mixer for friends. [emoji6]

Wm? What's that? Wow what a good price. At that price I would've bought everything they had lol

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.