What bourbon did you purchase today? Spring 2016

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Grabbed another bottle of OWA today. Can I use "because it was on the shelf" as a reason?

Buffalo Trace at $19.99 at a convenient CVS seemed like a good deal today.

My first post ever in one of these threads. Be gentle with me, guys ;)

In a completely impulse buy I scored an ETL, Stagg jr batch #5, and a CEHT SB.

2 hours ago, jbutler said:

In a completely impulse buy I scored an ETL, 5th gen Stagg, and a CEHT SB.

now we just need you in the what bourbon did you drink today thread more often ;) 

Got lucky and found an ECBP batch 11 and a CEHT barrel proof.  It's my first bottle of CEHT barrel proof.  I really like the single barrel and small batch and can't wait to try this one.

7 hours ago, jbutler said:

In a completely impulse buy I scored an ETL, 5th gen Stagg, and a CEHT SB.

5 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

now we just need you in the what bourbon did you drink today thread more often ;) 

What Derek said. Can't wait to see your tasting notes. :P

Cheers! Joe

Picked up a CEHT SB today after all the discussion on SB.

Very excited to try tonight.

8 hours ago, jbutler said:

In a completely impulse buy I scored an ETL, Stagg batch #5, and a CEHT SB.

I'm not surprised you actually posted in this thread. I am surprised you know how to spell ETL; )

A big ol' Fighting Cock 6 yr today.  Well, it was a family size and I was in Gamecock Country, so felt it was the proper thing to do.

1 hour ago, Phil T said:

I'm not surprised you actually posted in this thread. I am surprised you know how to spell ETL; )

I know, right? Doesn't even have an "F" in it.

EH Taylor BP at 127.5 proof.  Still have a Batch 1 open on the bar.  Look forward to a sis at some point this summer.

Picked up a bottle of Stagg Jr & another OW.  $22.99 for the OW was too good to pass up for me. 

14 hours ago, jbutler said:

In a completely impulse buy I scored an ETL, Stagg jr batch #5, and a CEHT SB.

Talk about beginners' luck.:P  I don't think I've seen those three together unless it was on the back shelves of a bourbon bar.

A purchase of sorts. I participated in a 4R barrel pick (we chose OBSF) and got to fill my bottle straight from a tap in the barrel. I hand applied the labels myself and wrote down the barrel info on the labels. Walked it through the bottling line and watched the plastic seal get applied. Applied the neck tag and the walked away with my bottle. 

That was pretty cool. 

1 hour ago, flahute said:

A purchase of sorts. I participated in a 4R barrel pick (we chose OBSF) and got to fill my bottle straight from a tap in the barrel. I hand applied the labels myself and wrote down the barrel info on the labels. Walked it through the bottling line and watched the plastic seal get applied. Applied the neck tag and the walked away with my bottle. 

That was pretty cool. 

If this were on Facebook, I'd give you a "like" for that.  So here's a like--sounds like a great time and treat. 

I was trying to decide between the Russell 10 yr and Evan Williams single barrel 2006. Ultimately I chose the Evan Williams because it was Barreled close to my birthday. Anyone had the Russell 10 yr? I'm always eyeing it...may grab it next week.

48 minutes ago, jcal1985 said:

I was trying to decide between the Russell 10 yr and Evan Williams single barrel 2006. Ultimately I chose the Evan Williams because it was Barreled close to my birthday. Anyone had the Russell 10 yr? I'm always eyeing it...may grab it next week.

I did the same thing... eyed the RR 10yr for a while before I finally decided to give it a try, and I'm glad I finally broke down and grabbed a bottle. I thought it was really good bourbon and well worth the asking price. It had a good nose and nice depth of flavor and displayed it's age well with a touch of oak. It also held up to a little ice and/or water if you like it that way.

I'd suggest giving it a shot!

If you like a Bourbon at a relatively decent price, with a nice nose, and a better than average 'sweeter-side Bourbon'; you'll love that Buffalo.    That 12-year Beam is a very nice pour, as well, if a bit more expensive than I felt it was worth.

Picked up two RRSiB ryes at the gift shop. It's the barrel pick that the KBA group made the same day that I was at Four Roses. I was at Wild Turkey for an event (went skeet shooting with Jimmy and Eddie, that was cool) and got a WT101 in the gift bag. Really great day!

5 hours ago, flahute said:

That was pretty cool. 

Too bad there is no such thing as a bourbon growler.  An experience like yours is on my bucket list.  How old was the barrel you chose?  Thanks!

Edited by El Vino

9 minutes ago, El Vino said:

Too bad there is no such thing as a bourbon growler.  An experience like yours is on my bucket list.  How old was the barrel you chose?  Thanks!

It was 9years and 4months old. 118.6 proof. If I can get myself to the gift shop on Friday, the rest will be for sale and I will buy some. Happy to have the one though.

If you like a Bourbon at a relatively decent price, with a nice nose, and a better than average 'sweeter-side Bourbon'; you'll love that Buffalo.    That 12-year Beam is a very nice pour, as well, if a bit more expensive than I felt it was worth.

Cool, I had an old scout in my hand though, hope I don't kick myself in the pants for not buying it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bought a couple of bottles of ETL for a friend for the reasonable price of 33 bucks each.  Haven't seen it priced that way in a looong time.  And I honestly didn't think I'd see it again.  Interestingly I was on my way up with a bottle of OWA until I found out that it was 40 bucks.  What gives?  More for Weller Antique than ETLee?  The times they are still changing!

-Mike

Received a call last week from a store owner about some OWA available.

This guy sold me ORVW10 for retail this past December.

I get there thinking the bottle of OWA will cost around $25. Nope. He wanted $100.

That's the world we live in today!  No, I did not buy the bottle.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.