What bourbon did you pass up? Spring 2016

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last I saw the 200ml was $1.50 cheaper than the 750...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I've paid more for 750ml of water at a baseball game.  Take a shot.  Don't try it neat, but 50-50 with Coke and ice OR 2 oz. JBW to 4 oz. apple sauce you can't go wrong.  50 years of legal drinking says so.

EDIT - Oh, and it comes in 50 mls and 200 mls, too.    Maybe if it's on sale . . .

Thanks Harry.  I may go back and get a couple for company.  A teaspoon of spring water is the extent of my mixing with either single malts or bourbon.

I'd buy a case of that JBW and blend it 50/50 with KCSB.  That'd make a lot of damn good bourbon at a great price! 

On topic and of note: Passed on Blood Oath last night.

I probably have a lifetime supply of jbw in the one 750 I have. I use it for cooking but not much else. I just prefer other stuff.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Passed on the KC2001 and Booker's Rye. They've both been sitting there over a week at a store that generally moves limiteds. I'll wait at least another few weeks and if they're still there, I might grab one. 

On 6/16/2016 at 5:01 PM, starhopper said:

I just passed on a Jefferson's Wood Experiment Box at $129 - easy pass.

I agree I saw several at $99 yesterday and thought I don't care much for their everyday product so why would I pay a premium for their "experiments"

3 hours ago, Hop said:

I agree I saw several at $99 yesterday and thought I don't care much for their everyday product so why would I pay a premium for their "experiments"

I'm with ya' on that, Hop!    Having had a bottle that was exemplary, a few that were OK, and one that was sub-drinkable; I'm not buying any more of their high-priced stuff.

Saw VSOF 12yr on a shelf for the first time, but the $60 sticker killed the joy.   Was sitting a few bottles down from a Rhetoric at $200 and a Forged Oak at $150.   

42 minutes ago, PowderKeg said:

Saw VSOF 12yr on a shelf for the first time, but the $60 sticker killed the joy.   Was sitting a few bottles down from a Rhetoric at $200 and a Forged Oak at $150.   

It's all a matter of perspective I guess, but I don't see any Old Fitz around mid MO anymore and to the best of my recollection I haven't ever had the chance to grab a bottle of VSOF 12 at all so in my current state of desperation I'd probably give in and pay $60 if I ever saw it for that!

Passed on ECBP at $55. I stocked up early in this release run and even passed on a few bottles for friends. 

Finally found the kc2001 in tulsa....it stayed there at 129.99. Passed up on a blantons at 53.99 and a pikesville at 34.99.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Finally found the kc2001 in tulsa....it stayed there at 129.99. Passed up on a blantons at 53.99 and a pikesville at 34.99.

The Blanton's and Pikesville prices are really good.  Is that the normal price?  Blanton's when available is normally in the low to upper $50s and the cheapest price I have seen Pikesville recently is $42.99.

Passed on Angel's Envy Cask Strength Bourbon (2015) for $179.  It's nice to see one sitting on the shelve, but that's not a price I can stomach.

It's funny for me to see the folks that are passing on KC 2001 for 129 (or similar) - I'd like to actually see one on the shelf around here.  2001 is a special year in my house so I'd be fine with picking one up in a "save for later" fashion.  But I'm looking at secondary prices 'cause they ain't showing up around here.

The Blanton's and Pikesville prices are really good.  Is that the normal price?  Blanton's when available is normally in the low to upper $50s and the cheapest price I have seen Pikesville recently is $42.99.

That's the going rate around here. Passed on the blantons I have a couple in the bunker and left it for another lucky soul. The pikesville is pretty readily available at that price around here (knock on wood).

Passed on Jefferson's Wood Experiment Collection.I just don't understand some of these new releases.

Not bourbon but for our Irish whiskey enthusiasts I passed on RB12  (standard not cask strength) for 50.00. There are cases of it at a store near me. PM if interested and I can point you to it. 

Still passing on WT Diamond and Masters Keep, as both are still lingering around (behind the glass) in a few locals...

Passed on just about the entire 1792 lineup: port finish, single barrel, and full proof. I'm tempted to pick up the full proof.

16 hours ago, Spade said:

Passed on just about the entire 1792 lineup: port finish, single barrel, and full proof. I'm tempted to pick up the full proof.

Just curious, what was the price on the full proof?

I passed on one-of-a-kind store selection of a 2-year old bourbon aged in napa wine barrels.  I won't name the store or distillery, although the distillery is developing a large presence in Indiana.  Almost every major retailer in Indy now has a store selection from this distillery.  I understand the special wine finishing and the cost of producing the bourbon, but I can't see paying $99.99 for a 2-year old bourbon. 

The full proof was $44. A good price for what is reportedly an eight year at almost barrel proof. I'm on the fence because stuff from Barton is sometimes just on the threshold of being too sweet for me depending on my mood.

Passed on KC 2001 for $200, Hirsch American Whiskey 20 year for $80, age stated (on back) EC12 for $40, and even Abraham Bowman Release 14 Wheated Bourbon at $85 (although I may regret that since I doubt I will get the VA ABC Lottery for it at $70.)

I manage the liquor department at the store I work at. We managed to get a shipment of some of the harder to find whiskeys. I had the opportunity to purchase Col. EH Taylor barrel proof, their single barrel. I could have also purchased a bottle of Elmer T Lee, but choose to buy the CEHT small batch.

It was a hard decision between the Lee and the Taylor,  but in the end I passed on the Lee.

The Taylor was 40.00 the Lee was 37.00

I'm in Sheboygan, WI for a wedding. I wandered into a store that didn't look like much from the outside but had an extensive selection of very nice whiskies including van winkles and BTAC but way overpriced. They weren't so expensive as to be unrealistic. Just very expensive. Someone will buy these.  Some of the ones I passed on, all a few deep on the shelf, OWA at $45, W12 at $129, EHT BP at $140 and Elliot's Select at $200. It was particularly frustrating given that two SB members had referred me to stores in Milwaukee where the selection was more ordinary but the prices were significantly cheaper than what I see at home. E.g, FRSiB at $32 where at home it's $43. Oh well. 

Edited by Charlutz

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.