Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

14 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Virginia ABC did this with Rare Breed 375s and 750s last year by putting the 375s on sale at a per ounce price about 10% below the 750's per ounce price.  I am somewhat ashamed by my shelf-clearing that store of 375s but internally delighted as were several bourbon persons who got RB grenades for Christmas.

Last year our Kroger Wine & Spirits did the same (375's less expensive than 750's).  No reason to be ashamed.  I did the same thing.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Virginia ABC did this with Rare Breed 375s and 750s last year by putting the 375s on sale at a per ounce price about 10% below the 750's per ounce price.  I am somewhat ashamed by my shelf-clearing that store of 375s but internally delighted as were several bourbon persons who got RB grenades for Christmas.

Remember when VABC did the same with Blanton's 375s and 750s back in 2017.  Talk about right place right time!   ?

VABC Bourbon Haul.jpg

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Remember when VABC did the same with Blanton's 375s and 750s back in 2017.  Talk about right place right time!   ?

VABC Bourbon Haul.jpg

Yup. and if you hadn't told me about it, I'd have been too slow to discover them on my own.  As it was, I only got four.  They, too, ended up going to newbies.

• I like it 2

I would have loved some of those 375ml bottles.

I was generally unaware of that size at all, but I'm on the lookout now for good deals in 375ml - it's the perfect size bottle for me to bring for a few nights in a hotel on the way out to a crew change.

Note this is NOT the same as making limited editions available in 500ml sizes ONLY and charging 750ml prices for the privilege - that I still don't support. But non-unicorns like Blanton's are ideal for this sort of thing.

• I like it 1

Today I saw a store rep direct clueless shoppers looking at the bourbon aisle to scotch instead, saying that bourbon is all corn and therefore more GMO in the mix. I died inside.

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, Kane said:

Today I saw a store rep direct clueless shoppers looking at the bourbon aisle to scotch instead, saying that bourbon is all corn and therefore more GMO in the mix. I died inside.

Hey!   I hope he sends anybody and everybody clueless enough to believe that sort of nonsense away to . . . anywhere but the Bourbon aisle.   More left for . . . ME!

• I like it 4

On 12/10/2019 at 6:31 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Virginia ABC did this with Rare Breed 375s and 750s last year by putting the 375s on sale at a per ounce price about 10% below the 750's per ounce price...

For couple years Va ABC had Blanton's 375 way cheaper per ml than 750, everyday price.  The 375 often came in box and it's way cute.  The round shape invites using it just like a Glencairn, and Blanton's too easy, before ya know it you're midway through a second one.

On 12/11/2019 at 7:58 PM, The Black Tot said:

I would have loved some of those 375ml bottles.

I was generally unaware of that size at all, but I'm on the lookout now for good deals in 375ml - it's the perfect size bottle for me to bring for a few nights in a hotel on the way out to a crew change.

Note this is NOT the same as making limited editions available in 500ml sizes ONLY and charging 750ml prices for the privilege - that I still don't support. But non-unicorns like Blanton's are ideal for this sort of thing.

I am always saying I wish more premium bourbons were available in 375 ml size. Especially the cask strength ones because they go farther anyway. It would allow me try more of everything without a huge investment. 

Thankfully someone was listening because I now enjoy the JDSiBBP offering in 375 for basically the same price per volume as the 750. Thank you Brown Forman.

Edited by Kepler
Only 1 "you" in thank you
  • I like it 5

8 hours ago, Kepler said:

I am always saying I wish more premium bourbons were available in 375 ml size...

I agree totally.  Though it wasn't a popular hit, I thought the Jeffersons Wood Experiment was a super great idea.  They had 10 different 200 ml bottles matured differently so people could analyze wood impact.  Price was reasonable, way cheaper than BT experiments.

• 1 month later...

Here's a reverse "Huh" moment from a customer, not a store.  Years ago when I was helping Eric at Packages and More, we had done a couple of barrel selections of Willett WFE.  Our selections turned out nicely and we had no problem selling them (duh . . .).  One day a very dissatisfied and unhappy customer came in with a newly purchased bottle of the older of the two WFEs that we had done.  His complaint?  There was a slight amount of fine charcoal in the bottom of the bottle.  We tried to explain to him why that was and why it was a good, not a bad thing.  He refused to listen, and we took the bottle back and refunded him his $.  I immediately bought the bottle myself.

• I like it 3

15 minutes ago, Kyjd75 said:

Here's a reverse "Huh" moment from a customer, not a store.  Years ago when I was helping Eric at Packages and More, we had done a couple of barrel selections of Willett WFE.  Our selections turned out nicely and we had no problem selling them (duh . . .).  One day a very dissatisfied and unhappy customer came in with a newly purchased bottle of the older of the two WFEs that we had done.  His complaint?  There was a slight amount of fine charcoal in the bottom of the bottle.  We tried to explain to him why that was and why it was a good, not a bad thing.  He refused to listen, and we took the bottle back and refunded him his $.  I immediately bought the bottle myself.

When speaking about the "general public", one can always assert this truism: Idiots Abound!

• I like it 3

I have a "huh" moment from yesterday, and I'm not sure how to feel about it.  The short version is that I picked out two bottles from the counter, by the register.  They ended up telling me both were "not for sale".  Am I jaded in thinking I have no reason to shop at this store anymore?

12 minutes ago, shawnt said:

I have a "huh" moment from yesterday, and I'm not sure how to feel about it.  The short version is that I picked out two bottles from the counter, by the register.  They ended up telling me both were "not for sale".  Am I jaded in thinking I have no reason to shop at this store anymore?

I don't think so. A store by me had a suitcase in front of the register with three bottles in it: WSR, Blanton's, and EHT SmB. $400 was the price and I laughed when he told me that. I doubt I will be in there again because it seemed kind of insulting. To display bottles in a store that aren't for sale (and aren't part of some decoration or whatever) is just silly.

What were the bottles?

1 hour ago, shawnt said:

I've had this happen to me before. Glass case in front by the register had a bunch of stuff in it...WITH PRICE LABELS. I asked for the ETL out of the case and was told it wasn't for sale. When I complained that it was clearly displayed with a price tag he then said the case is only for his "best customers". I asked how I can become a best customer if he won't sell me something and just got a blank stare. Haven't been back.

36 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I've had this happen to me before. Glass case in front by the register had a bunch of stuff in it...WITH PRICE LABELS. I asked for the ETL out of the case and was told it wasn't for sale. When I complained that it was clearly displayed with a price tag he then said the case is only for his "best customers". I asked how I can become a best customer if he won't sell me something and just got a blank stare. Haven't been back.

Thank you both for the vote of confidence.  The first was EHT SiB, and the second was the new(ish) Baker's 13.  Beyond the practice itself, the clerk gave me eye rolls and literally sent me out into the parking lot to "find" the owner to ask him personally.  When I did, he responded like I'd asked him if the light fixtures or floor tiles were for sale.

No matter, there are plenty of uber-friendly LS proprietors around who love to talk bourbon and be honest about what's available and how likely I am to get it.   Only bummer is that "how likely" is usually "not very"!

Edited by shawnt
typo
  • I like it 2

On 1/24/2020 at 10:01 AM, shawnt said:

there are some advantages to a control state (although not many)

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a reverse Huh? for a change. Nearly 15 year old store pick of KCSB for 35 bucks. The local grocery store chain has gotten a handful of these older picks in the last few months, usually they're $45-ish, but they've put them on sale a few times down at $35. I just don't understand how anyone can sell 14-15 year old bourbon for $35. But I picked up a bottle or five.

84682099_10107103191204850_270169093779226624_o.jpg

• I like it 12

On 1/24/2020 at 12:02 PM, shawnt said:

Thank you both for the vote of confidence.  The first was EHT SiB, and the second was the new(ish) Baker's 13.  Beyond the practice itself, the clerk gave me eye rolls and literally sent me out into the parking lot to "find" the owner to ask him personally.  When I did, he responded like I'd asked him if the light fixtures or floor tiles were for sale.

No matter, there are plenty of uber-friendly LS proprietors around who love to talk bourbon and be honest about what's available and how likely I am to get it.   Only bummer is that "how likely" is usually "not very"!

The good news is that WT 101, WT RARE BREED, EW BIB, OGD BIB &114, JW DANT, 4R smb, smb select, SB, YL, among others are flush on shelves. 
I am enjoying, make that ENJOYING some WT 101, it is a fantastic bourbon regardless of price. The current market is rocky terrain indeed and there is no reason to suffer it, better times ahead, it just  requires some patience.

Edited by kcgumbohead
  • I like it 1

On 2/6/2020 at 7:45 PM, EarthQuake said:

Here's a reverse Huh? for a change. Nearly 15 year old store pick of KCSB for 35 bucks. The local grocery store chain has gotten a handful of these older picks in the last few months, usually they're $45-ish, but they've put them on sale a few times down at $35. I just don't understand how anyone can sell 14-15 year old bourbon for $35. But I picked up a bottle or five.

They even helpfully come with the case!

I miss living in a state where liquor sales were a possibility.

• I like it 1

Maybe they felt like everyone needed a drink following the caucuses.  

• I like it 1

On 1/24/2020 at 12:02 PM, shawnt said:

Yep, just walk out and don't return.  I would never chase a liquor store owner or manager into the parking lot.  If it is on the shelf, I assume it is for sale.  If not, I walk out and never return.  Buying bourbon is a hobby not a mind game.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Maybe they felt like everyone needed a drink following the caucuses.  

Too true. We were there for about 3 hours, the first two of which was waiting for them to get everyone signed in. And then the actual process started with much confusion, even the folks organizing the event didn't seem to understand what was going on. It's not hard to find conspiracy theories online as to why the results came in late, but the story on the ground was much simpler: good old fashioned incompetence.

3 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Too true. We were there for about 3 hours, the first two of which was waiting for them to get everyone signed in. And then the actual process started with much confusion, even the folks organizing the event didn't seem to understand what was going on. It's not hard to find conspiracy theories online as to why the results came in late, but the story on the ground was much simpler: good old fashioned incompetence.

Incompetence???? In the political arena???? That could never happen, could it? ?  (and it doesn't matter which side of the aisle you're on ?)

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 3

I was shopping Scotch for a thank you gift just a moment ago. I'm taking my time, enjoying the sights. I notice a suspicious dude following me around at a distance, pacing up and down when I stop to look around. I give him "the look", he doesn't care. After maybe 15 minutes I grab a Bunnahabhain 18, go to check out. The dude gives me a jump scare and grabs my arm, asks very discreetly "is that good?" I say yes it's very good. I watch him put back down a JW Blue Label he's carrying and grab a Bunna too. Doesn't even thank me, just walks away. I don't know what all the suspense was about, but I suppose I did a good deed?

• I like it 1