Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

29 minutes ago, Clueby said:

A local chain released their ER PS this morning at 3 stores. Lines started forming hours before they opened at 10am. A guy from a local forum got there between 9 and 9:30 and estimated that he was about #60 in line. They ran out about 15 people ahead of him even though they said they would have 72 bottles at that location.  For Eagle Rare!! That's his pic below. I didn't go.

While I was at a TW this afternoon a guy hurried into the store and was staring intently at the bourbon aisle. An employee asked if he could help him with anything. The guy asked.."You got any Weller?". The employee chuckled a bit and replied "no".  The guy just seemed to kind of keep intently looking at the aisle. I wandered off for other things.

FB_IMG_1598145566662.jpg

Knowing their normal pricing, I'm very surprised they had them marked at $35 for VIP. 

I also, without hesitation, sat this one out. 

Unreal. The store I posted about in my post up thread did have ER at $28.99. That’s why I went there, and why I was disappointed that they were out. After leaving there, I stopped at another store and passed on ER at $39.99. Now I find myself second guessing that decision.?

Biba! Joe

33 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Unreal. The store I posted about in my post up thread did have ER at $28.99. That’s why I went there, and why I was disappointed that they were out. After leaving there, I stopped at another store and passed on ER at $39.99. Now I find myself second guessing that decision.?

Biba! Joe

What has the world come to. I love ER and yet I wouldn’t line up like that if they were giving it away.

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, Kane said:

What has the world come to. I love ER and yet I wouldn’t line up like that if they were giving it away.

I hear you Kane. It’s not that I’m in dire need of ER. I currently have one open, and a couple in the bunker. It’s one of my faves, and I’d kinda like to bunker a couple more just in case. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

A local chain released their ER PS this morning at 3 stores. Lines started forming hours before they opened at 10am. A guy from a local forum got there between 9 and 9:30 and estimated that he was about #60 in line. They ran out about 15 people ahead of him even though they said they would have 72 bottles at that location.  For Eagle Rare!! That's his pic below. I didn't go.

While I was at a TW this afternoon a guy hurried into the store and was staring intently at the bourbon aisle. An employee asked if he could help him with anything. The guy asked.."You got any Weller?". The employee chuckled a bit and replied "no".  The guy just seemed to kind of keep intently looking at the aisle. I wandered off for other things.

FB_IMG_1598145566662.jpg

6 hours ago, fanostra said:

That is nuts!

It's worse than nuts, it's freaking retarded

• I like it 1

People waiting in line for ER?  Just insanity.  ER is okay but there isn't a chance I would wait in line for it. 

OK, if somebody wants to arrive early to stand in line for a whiskey, go right ahead.  It’s his money.  But, their significant  other with him, who he asked to go to “keep him company” or maybe “help him score a second bottle due to the 1 per customer limit”, is a numbnuts, and thus open to as much ridicule as can be mustered.  ?

PS:  I’ll add that even asking the other to go for the reasons listed does cost them dignity points... ?

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 4

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

OK, if somebody wants to arrive early to stand in line for a whiskey, go right ahead.  It’s his money.  But, their significant  other with him, who he asked to go to “keep him company” or maybe “help him score a second bottle due to the 1 per customer limit”, is a numbnuts, and thus open to as much ridicule as can be mustered.  ?

PS:  I’ll add that even asking the other to go for the reasons listed does cost them dignity points... ?

Looks like the guy in the red shirt brought his mom. Even worse!

The “significant other/buddy system” thing irritates the hell out of me. I once witnessed this a number of years go at a stores  Pappy, BTAC, LE,  Fall Whiskey Extravaganza tasting and raffle. One year, a guy didn’t even get his own ticket drawn, yet walked out with a half a dozen or so bottles. He brought 4 or 5 friends and family along for the ride. That was the last time I attended their raffle even though I get emails from them every year. 

Joe

• I like it 3

47 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Surely this wasn't only for ER was it?  Perhaps something else was also being sold?

It was ONLY for ER. The same thing happened a few weeks ago for their BT PS release.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

Surely this wasn't only for ER was it?  Perhaps something else was also being sold?

And only one per person.

The STL crowd haven’t been kidding in the past when we say ER10 is a lottery bottle here.

Ill man up & confess that I did go get one, but it was honestly more about being lonely and wanting to hang with some buddies for a bit that I haven’t BS’d with all summer due to covid.
?‍♂️

• I like it 1

39 minutes ago, 0895 said:

And only one per person.

The STL crowd haven’t been kidding in the past when we say ER10 is a lottery bottle here.

Ill man up & confess that I did go get one, but it was honestly more about being lonely and wanting to hang with some buddies for a bit that I haven’t BS’d with all summer due to covid.
?‍♂️

Didn't post to make you out yourself! ?

It really was to show the nuttiness of the STL market. Should be in the "boom" thread probably.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

The “significant other/buddy system” thing irritates the hell out of me. I once witnessed this a number of years go at a stores  Pappy, BTAC, LE,  Fall Whiskey Extravaganza tasting and raffle. One year, a guy didn’t even get his own ticket drawn, yet walked out with a half a dozen or so bottles. He brought 4 or 5 friends and family along for the ride. That was the last time I attended their raffle even though I get emails from them every year. 

Joe

Can you imagine me asking SWMBO to go with me to stand in line for bourbon???  She would go down to the gunsafe, take out her S&W 640PC in .38 SPL and put 5 holes in me (all within a 1" circle, mind you) and take my life insurance money to buy stuff for the grandbabies.  And I'd end up in some compost pit behind a barn somewhere.   Not a winning proposition, I'm sure.   ?

• I like it 8

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

It was ONLY for ER. The same thing happened a few weeks ago for their BT PS release.

But but.. both were aged near where they age the stuff that becomes Pappy.

• I like it 2

43 minutes ago, GeeTen said:

Can you imagine me asking SWMBO to go with me to stand in line for bourbon???  She would go down to the gunsafe, take out her S&W 640PC in .38 SPL and put 5 holes in me (all within a 1" circle, mind you) and take my life insurance money to buy stuff for the grandbabies.  And I'd end up in some compost pit behind a barn somewhere.   Not a winning proposition, I'm sure.   ?

I have enjoyed knowing you Frank. Take care and I'll see sometime in the future. ?

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

39 minutes ago, Phil T said:

I have enjoyed knowing you Frank. Take care and I'll see sometime in the future. ?

Y'all are hilarious ?

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Didn't post to make you out yourself! ?

It really was to show the nuttiness of the STL market. Should be in the "boom" thread probably.

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

And only one per person.

?‍♂️

Same here 895.

This just goes to show once all this dang covid is behind us and things get back to normal we all need to get together in Louisville or somewhere (gazebo) and share some things.  I'll bring plenty of ER and Weller ?

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

She been talking to Patti when we weren't looking?  I got an earful when I asked her to double park while I ran in to check on VOB 100 availability at a store that sometimes has it as we rolled past.  Sheesh!

• I like it 1

5 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

She been talking to Patti when we weren't looking?  I got an earful when I asked her to double park while I ran in to check on VOB 100 availability at a store that sometimes has it as we rolled past.  Sheesh!

I think they have a clandestine network that they all talk about us behind our backs - especially when they've actually met each other in person.  Then they do the "rolling eyes" bit, the knowing wink, and the "nod".  It's like their secret handshake , ya' know?   ?

• I like it 1

And this is the part of SB that I truly love. The friendly banter. This reminds me of when slightly inebriated Army officers toasted me and my military bandmates when we performed at official (indoor) military ceremonies, “ You guys are great! Play all night!” ? ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

You gotta get them on your side.

I used to be a very active knife collector and we had the same "gotta hide it from the wife" joke in our world.  I made sure to bring a nice bread knife home to my wife from my first knife show, which got her more on my side.  I brought home other knives for her when I went to shows, and would take her kitchen knives to be sharpened razor sharp every year at our annual local show.  She came to some shows with me and I always had her pick out a knife for herself.  Her favorite chef's knife came from a show.

She used to be a vodka drinker, but she would occasionally try bourbon.  When we were invited to a wedding in Louisville last year, she suggested we visit some distilleries because  she knew I would enjoy it, but she is a sucker for "factory tours" so she liked it as much as I did.  She wanted to go the Brown Hotel so I agreed, and we had some interesting flights in their Lobby Bar.  She found she likes Angel's Envy so I make sure we have it on hand, and offer to pour her one when I am enjoying a dram.

Better to make her a co-conspirator than an enemy.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

I think they have a clandestine network that they all talk about us behind our backs - especially when they've actually met each other in person.  Then they do the "rolling eyes" bit, the knowing wink, and the "nod".  It's like their secret handshake , ya' know?   ?

Rolling eyes?

Is that what they call "THE LOOK"?

13 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Rolling eyes?

Is that what they call "THE LOOK"?

No, those are two very different things! Rolling eyes usually comes after the look.

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

And this is the part of SB that I truly love. The friendly banter. This reminds me of when slightly inebriated Army officers toasted me and my military bandmates when we performed at official (indoor) military ceremonies, “ You guys are great! Play all night!” ? ?

Biba! Joe

Bandmates? Just what did you play?  During my 4 years at a small, all-male, non-liberal arts college located at a sizeable bend in the Hudson River, New York, I marched in about 450 parades to music played by professional, albeit Army, musicians.  [ASIDE, I can still name about two dozen marches - name and author - when I hear the first bar or two.]  A subset of "The Band" at School was called "The Hellcats:"  They played, exclusively, bugles and drums.  Did you all know that "Reveille" is TEN minutes long?  For the first year or so, since they played just outside my window, I HATED those guys.  For the second two years I was awakened by them, I pitied them because they had to get up and get dressed an HOUR or two before us in order to be in place when 5:50 ET arrived so they could finish at exactly 6 AM ET.  At our 40th Reunion, we explicitly asked that, and at our expense, they play Reveille - all ten minutes - for us.  Some 200 unaffiliated people who happened to be in our hotel at the time went BONKERS when they heard it.

No liqueur store huh  moments to report although I have a list of things, aggregating about $365 so far, I just NEED TO HAVE!  Good news is, the local stores I have in mind are REALLY good. 

EDIT -- I LEFT OUT THE DAMN PICCOLOS!!!

EDIT 2 - Here's a YouTube of some of what I ranting about.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
AN IMPORTANT ADDITION!!
  • I like it 1