Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

Opposite huh. Walked into my store today and asked the owner if there was anything cool. We have a good relationship. I know his stock. He replied no. It was refreshing to hear, no sales pitch on anything stupid. I've already got the fancy ones in spades. Walked out with a wt 101 rye in record time. I'm really lucky.

• I like it 5

Saw this today at a store I seldom frequent.  Now I know why.  Dickle 13yr BiB for the same price as GTS.  I asked the guy working there if it was a mistake and he said no.  I know this won an award but really....

Dickle 500.jpg

Saw this today at a store I seldom frequent.  Now I know why.  Dickle 13yr BiB for the same price as GTS.  I asked the guy working there if it was a mistake and he said no.  I know this won an award but really....
539574477_Dickle500.jpg.de476b9d622d4be2accec4243e71ed1c.jpg

I have no words for that level of ridiculousness!
  • I like it 3

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

1) I think this store owner also won an award...... a**hole of the year. (Double Gold?)

2) You know it's bad when SB's #1 fan of all things Dickel (lcpfratn) says it's ridiculous.

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 5

3 hours ago, fosmith said:

Dickle 500.jpg

Id sell the guy a case at 250 ea if he wants to double is money??

• I like it 1

At a LS near work, and next to the grocery store I was stopping by, I had a huh moment. First I grabbed a OWA for a friend's birthday, for the hefty sum of right around $100. He is a good friend. As a rye guy I always check out the selection. The owner's son tried to help. Really pushing the AE, which I do not care for. After a few minutes of no headway he offered to show me something from behind the counter. He came back with a ritt bib. From... Behind... The counter. Needless to say it was at MSRP and I bought it. But left feeling confused by the whole thing.

• I like it 1

Not a full out liquor store but it looks like a decent amount of spirits on the shelf, yes it faces west....

Bottles have been sitting for years, really doubt they sell very many than the regular patron or cognac but that one poor bastard that’s getting sun aged whiskey......

E994EF7A-A184-4ABB-B411-8716CDD4BA6F.jpeg

• I like it 1

There is a grocery store in New Orleans that carries a large variety of beers, wines, spirits including things like Pappy Van Winkle on occasion. Their liquor department people are knowledgeable, however they leave early in the evening. They keep "special" bottles in the liquor department office. You typically have to ask to find out what they are holding back there. I was there one evening after the liquor department people had left for the day. I knew they had something in stock in the office that I wanted because I had spoken to liquor manager earlier in the day and asked about it. I asked one of the cashiers to go into the office and get the bottle for me. She told me they had six bottles of what I was looking for. I told her that I would take all six bottles. The bottles back there do not have price tags on them and they do not show up on computer when scanned. At the register, the cashier was trying to figure out what to charge me for each bottle because they would not ring up. I told her what they cost at other stores nearby but she was sort of panicking due to people piling up in her line behind me. She gave up and asked if I would pay $2.99 per bottle. I told her that was much too low. She told me that seemed right to her and she rang them up at $2.99 each bottle. I am an honest person but after trying to convince her to charge me the "normal" price for the neighborhood, and getting many dirty looks from the many people behind me in line I gave up trying. I did stop at the customer service desk in the front of the store to try and get them to change the price, but they just looked at me like I was retarded and would not change the price. Oh well, that happened two other times through the years. I just take one try at the register now to be honest and then pay and move on...…………………………...

43 minutes ago, MIKELOCK34 said:

There is a grocery store in New Orleans that carries a large variety of beers, wines, spirits including things like Pappy Van Winkle on occasion. Their liquor department people are knowledgeable, however they leave early in the evening. They keep "special" bottles in the liquor department office. You typically have to ask to find out what they are holding back there. I was there one evening after the liquor department people had left for the day. I knew they had something in stock in the office that I wanted because I had spoken to liquor manager earlier in the day and asked about it. I asked one of the cashiers to go into the office and get the bottle for me. She told me they had six bottles of what I was looking for. I told her that I would take all six bottles. The bottles back there do not have price tags on them and they do not show up on computer when scanned. At the register, the cashier was trying to figure out what to charge me for each bottle because they would not ring up. I told her what they cost at other stores nearby but she was sort of panicking due to people piling up in her line behind me. She gave up and asked if I would pay $2.99 per bottle. I told her that was much too low. She told me that seemed right to her and she rang them up at $2.99 each bottle. I am an honest person but after trying to convince her to charge me the "normal" price for the neighborhood, and getting many dirty looks from the many people behind me in line I gave up trying. I did stop at the customer service desk in the front of the store to try and get them to change the price, but they just looked at me like I was retarded and would not change the price. Oh well, that happened two other times through the years. I just take one try at the register now to be honest and then pay and move on...…………………………...

Inquiring minds will want to know, what were you buying that they charged you this $2.99 amount for?

• I like it 1

For the three times that happened; liters of barley wine ale, scotch, rum. I will not give any particulars because I do trade bottles on occasion and I do not want to get into an argument over trade value compared to what I paid for the bottles one day?

On 2/24/2020 at 6:01 PM, fosmith said:

Dickle 500.jpg

The distillery did right by us enthusiasts and the market in general. They put out a delicious new release, I am sure NOT at a loss and kept the pricing sane in a somewhat insane market. Now there are some a-holes out there f'n it up. I hope it sits on their shelf until 2220!!

Dickle 500.jpg

I wouldn't pay that for it even if it came with a box of those medical masks and a case of hand sanitizer.

• I like it 2

On 2/21/2020 at 8:27 PM, Mattk said:

Opposite huh. Walked into my store today and asked the owner if there was anything cool. We have a good relationship. I know his stock. He replied no. It was refreshing to hear, no sales pitch on anything stupid. I've already got the fancy ones in spades. Walked out with a wt 101 rye in record time. I'm really lucky.

How it should be.

Dickle 500.jpg

Most absurd and desperate gouging effort I have seen to date - impressive 

• I like it 1

On 3/2/2020 at 6:58 AM, TehRegion219 said:

Not a full out liquor store but it looks like a decent amount of spirits on the shelf, yes it faces west....

Bottles have been sitting for years, really doubt they sell very many than the regular patron or cognac but that one poor bastard that’s getting sun aged whiskey......

There's a small shop in Vail, CO that puts all their Pappy and BTAC, at $2K a pop or so in the window.  It bakes all year round until a hedge funder at a conference decides to pull the trigger.  I recall several people, including myself have posted pics of that place.

• I like it 2

I had been wanting to get a bottle of MMRC6 but could not find it at a price I was okay with.  When i was looking the cheapest i found it for was $82.00 out the door and I just could not do it.  It has dried up at my usual stores but today i found myself in a store i rarely go to.  They had a row of them 8 deep.....at $95.00 a bottle.  I walked out laughing.

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, ThomasGazelle said:

I had been wanting to get a bottle of MMRC6 but could not find it at a price I was okay with.  When i was looking the cheapest i found it for was $82.00 out the door and I just could not do it.  It has dried up at my usual stores but today i found myself in a store i rarely go to.  They had a row of them 8 deep.....at $95.00 a bottle.  I walked out laughing.

You did right, Thomas.  I got a bottle of this for $60 and it's good but not worth more than that.  Probably won't buy another one even if I see it for $60 again since I can get ECBP for that...

• I like it 2

On 3/2/2020 at 8:58 AM, TehRegion219 said:

Left for home early the other day and had a chance to stop in and see what all is in the window...…. Nothing too crazy, I don't know my scotch or irish whiskeys so meh... but I did notice the HW MWND on the shelf, 6 of them...…  maybe the one furthest away from the glass????

On 3/8/2020 at 4:20 PM, BDanner said:

I wouldn't pay that for it even if it came with a box of those medical masks and a case of hand sanitizer.

What if they threw in a roll of toilet paper?  

• I like it 3

Got a heads up that a TW had put out some Stagg Jr. by two different people. Actually saw the receipt from one. Me and the Mrs. ran by (it's her favorite)  to see if we could grab one. None left. But we were told by at least 3 different people there that not only did they not have any, but that they they never put any out and hadn't had any in months.  Said we saw the receipt and were told that just wasn't possible. I understand being out of something but why is it ingrained in these people to lie about it??!?!  That irks me the most when stores blatantly lie.

• I like it 1

32 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I understand being out of something but why is it ingrained in these people to lie about it??!?!  That irks me the most when stores blatantly lie.

"It's what I do" said the snake to the frog.  ?

Edited by GeeTen

21 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

What if they threw in a roll of toilet paper?  

Hmmmmm....A roll of TP and a bottle of Flintstones Chewables and I may pull the trigger.