Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

35 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

In spite of a store employee trying to be helpful, is this condescending if it's usually true for most of us? Probably....... ?

liquor stores.jpg

I would have to say it should always be considered condescending...and while it may be true most of the time or sometimes, it may not always be true. ??

• I like it 3

That may be true, but we don't know what's hidden away out of sight.

Best to be nice to people. ?

• I like it 4

7 minutes ago, PaulO said:

I suppose, if I have to...... :P :D

• I like it 3

3 minutes ago, PaulO said:

That may be true, but we don't know what's hidden away out of sight.

This is very true-- playing dumb is the only way to fly. I make a point to immediately pick up and cradle a crap bottle of "Duke" or “Straight Edge" bourbon to disarm the competitive bourbon dudes stalking the aisles with their phones out.

• I like it 10

7 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

playing dumb is the only way to fly.

This I can do!

I know being nice is the way you should act. I've seen fishnbowljoe work with an idiot on a bottle where I was ready to tell the guy to shove it and leave. Joe won the battle and got a nice score. Credit where credit is due!

• I like it 4

10 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

to disarm the competitive bourbon dudes stalking the aisles with their phones out.

The fact that there are "competitive bourbon dudes" is case enough that the boom is not over.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

This I can do!

I know being nice is the way you should act. I've seen fishnbowljoe work with an idiot on a bottle where I was ready to tell the guy to shove it and leave. Joe won the battle and got a nice score. Credit where credit is due!

Thanks for the reminder Gary.  I had almost forgotten about that one. Operative word, almost.?

Biba! Ken

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I would have to say it should always be considered condescending...and while it may be true most of the time or sometimes, it may not always be true. ??

Yeah, but you don't count. :) 

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, FacePlant said:

Yeah, but you don't count. :) 

LOL! ?

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, Shizzy said:

Had a decent "huh?" moment at a liquor store yesterday.  Kentucky Owl batch 8 KSBW sitting in the case for $200, while the batch 3 rye sitting right next to it was marked at $350.  Walked out the door with the bourbon a happy individual.  Remarkable flavors.  Noses like a Four Roses product and has a finish that goes and goes.

Hope you bought a lottery ticket at the same time...

I guess its not that odd in the current circumstances, but still something of a "huh?" moment for me: Baby Saz getting a "special release" for $40 at a local store with people lining up in advance to get it.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but c'mon, its not that special.  Certainly not worth leaving work in the middle of the day to line up to get one.  

• I like it 5

9 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I guess its not that odd in the current circumstances, but still something of a "huh?" moment for me: Baby Saz getting a "special release" for $40 at a local store with people lining up in advance to get it.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but c'mon, its not that special.  Certainly not worth leaving work in the middle of the day to line up to get one.  

Got a bottle today in Ohio for $25, have never even seen it in the Wild in Ohio before today.   It is not a regular item, ever.

10 minutes ago, geclbxf said:

Got a bottle today in Ohio for $25, have never even seen it in the Wild in Ohio before today.   It is not a regular item, ever.

Another of the long list of inconsistent pricing and distribution stories. It has always been everywhere in Minnesota. Usually for $30 or less. I’m not a frequent buyer as the juice doesn’t really inspire me, but I do love the bottle 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, geclbxf said:

I’ll admit it’s becoming more difficult to find here in Montana, but I’ve still seen it on the shelves now and then over the last year. I think I’ve had two bottles in the last year at least, and passed it up a number of times.  There are plenty of comparable or better ryes (IMHO of course) on the shelf for under $40 here though, so I guess it’s just wrapped in the demand for all things Buffalo Trace. 

• I like it 1

A big grocery chain started having a locked display case in their stores.  An employee told me they had a problem with shoplifters.  Meanwhile, I see stuff like OF 1920, ECBP (sometimes), and high end Scotch out there on the shelves.  What's in the locked case - a bunch of different flavored versions of CR, and some odd ball stuff.  It hit me.  Flavored CR, the choice of shoplifters. 

• I like it 7

So this is a happy one. Today I went to visit my atm. Which is just down the road from a pretty major store. I decided to pop in and take a look. As soon as I got there a gentleman was inquiring on the price of a lot b from the case. It was $870, and he passed. But while the bottle was out of the case I spotted a little book chapter 2 at $120, crammed back behind the pvws and btacs. Needless to say it came home with me. I'm quite happy to have a few in the bunker now.IMG_20200703_120928.thumb.jpg.21fef3b3f041f9b41141029e3d0c5fad.jpg

• I like it 6

• 2 weeks later...

Not a liquor store but it definitely caused a "Huh?" moment for me.

I saw a screenshot from the secondary market of a bottle of EHT 18 year marriage being offered at $2k. The first response was an offer for $1.8k.

Local Facebook group was also discussing how standard BT is allocated.

Edited by mal00768

And here I thought $69.00 for a bottle of ETL was a bit over the top. ?  Sheeeesh.

Biba! Joe 

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly a "Huh" moment but I swiped and edited this from a liquor store.

873303185_Bourbontext.gif.8909c7a2cad9d25a4069c576e8947d29.gif

• I like it 4

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped at a store yesterday to see if they got any ER in. I was there a couple weeks or so ago, and had just missed getting a bottle. I was told by the clerk they would be getting more In a couple of weeks. Well, they didn’t have any. There wasn’t even a tag or spot for it on the shelf. I asked about the ER and was told the bottles they had two weeks prior were a special deal, and they won’t be getting any more in for at least three months. I thanked the lady and left. WTF? 

Biba! Joe

16 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I stopped at a store yesterday to see if they got any ER in. I was there a couple weeks or so ago, and had just missed getting a bottle. I was told by the clerk they would be getting more In a couple of weeks. Well, they didn’t have any. There wasn’t even a tag or spot for it on the shelf. I asked about the ER and was told the bottles they had two weeks prior were a special deal, and they won’t be getting any more in for at least three months. I thanked the lady and left. WTF? 

I mean, it's not called "Eagle Common" Joe...

• I like it 8

4 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

I mean, it's not called "Eagle Common" Joe...

Hold this for me Paul........ ?

• I like it 1

A local chain released their ER PS this morning at 3 stores. Lines started forming hours before they opened at 10am. A guy from a local forum got there between 9 and 9:30 and estimated that he was about #60 in line. They ran out about 15 people ahead of him even though they said they would have 72 bottles at that location.  For Eagle Rare!! That's his pic below. I didn't go.

While I was at a TW this afternoon a guy hurried into the store and was staring intently at the bourbon aisle. An employee asked if he could help him with anything. The guy asked.."You got any Weller?". The employee chuckled a bit and replied "no".  The guy just seemed to kind of keep intently looking at the aisle. I wandered off for other things.

FB_IMG_1598145566662.jpg

17 minutes ago, Clueby said:

A local chain released their ER PS this morning at 3 stores. Lines started forming hours before they opened at 10am. A guy from a local forum got there between 9 and 9:30 and estimated that he was about #60 in line. They ran out about 15 people ahead of him even though they said they would have 72 bottles at that location.  For Eagle Rare!! That's his pic below. I didn't go.

While I was at a TW this afternoon a guy hurried into the store and was staring intently at the bourbon aisle. An employee asked if he could help him with anything. The guy asked.."You got any Weller?". The employee chuckled a bit and replied "no".  The guy just seemed to kind of keep intently looking at the aisle. I wandered off for other things.

FB_IMG_1598145566662.jpg

That is nuts!