Liquor Store "Huh?" Moments

fenderbender4

1 hour ago, Kane said:

I was shopping Scotch for a thank you gift just a moment ago. I'm taking my time, enjoying the sights. I notice a suspicious dude following me around at a distance, pacing up and down when I stop to look around. I give him "the look", he doesn't care. After maybe 15 minutes I grab a Bunnahabhain 18, go to check out. The dude gives me a jump scare and grabs my arm, asks very discreetly "is that good?" I say yes it's very good. I watch him put back down a JW Blue Label he's carrying and grab a Bunna too. Doesn't even thank me, just walks away. I don't know what all the suspense was about, but I suppose I did a good deed?

The world id FULL of strange folx!   ...Liquor stores, maybe even more so, though many of 'em seem to be behind the counters.

• I like it 3

45 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

The world id FULL of strange folx!   ...Liquor stores, maybe even more so, though many of 'em seem to be behind the counters.

A couple I ran into yesterday were not behind the counter. They were customers. One I alluded to earlier. I ran into a guy that was looking for a rye. He was nice, and I helped him out. This was the good”Huh?” Moment. Now for the bad. I almost forgot to grab a bottle of BT Bourbon Cream, so I went back and grabbed one and headed towards the counter. I got to the counter and there was a lady in front of me. To the left behind a small shelf jutting out was a “tater”. He was looking through the glass of a side shelf trying to spot what goodies were behind the counter. All of a sudden he just cuts right in front of me. I said excuse me. He said it was okay because he was with the lady in front of me. I said really.  He gave me a look, saw my Vietnam Era Vets hat, grunted and said well excuse you. He looked at a Belle Meade and WFE that we’re behind the counter. The lady paid for whatever they had and they left. On their way out the door he looked back, shook his head at me, smiled and shrugged. What an ass hat.

As a side note here, the exact opposite happened later on when we stopped by Sam’s Club on the way home. As we reached the checkout area, I spotted an older gentleman and his daughter(?). He had a WWII Veteran hat on. I went up to thank him for his service, but he and his daughter spotted me and thanked me for my service first. Yeah, it kinda choked me up a little. It also made up for the antics of the jack wad from earlier. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, Kane said:

I was shopping Scotch for a thank you gift just a moment ago. I'm taking my time, enjoying the sights. I notice a suspicious dude following me around at a distance, pacing up and down when I stop to look around. I give him "the look", he doesn't care. After maybe 15 minutes I grab a Bunnahabhain 18, go to check out. The dude gives me a jump scare and grabs my arm, asks very discreetly "is that good?" I say yes it's very good. I watch him put back down a JW Blue Label he's carrying and grab a Bunna too. Doesn't even thank me, just walks away. I don't know what all the suspense was about, but I suppose I did a good deed?

Yes you did a good deed.  But that guy sounded a little creepy.

On 2/7/2020 at 10:06 PM, mbroo5880i said:

Yep, just walk out and don't return.  I would never chase a liquor store owner or manager into the parking lot.  If it is on the shelf, I assume it is for sale.  If not, I walk out and never return.  Buying bourbon is a hobby not a mind game.

Had a similar "It's not for sale" experience.  Stopped by a store and they had a bottle of VW (don't remember which one) and as I was curious, I asked him the price.  He said, "Oh, that's not for sale, it's my own bottle.  I just display it here."  Uh . . . yeah, OK.

2 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

Had a similar "It's not for sale" experience.  Stopped by a store and they had a bottle of VW (don't remember which one) and as I was curious, I asked him the price.  He said, "Oh, that's not for sale, it's my own bottle.  I just display it here."  Uh . . . yeah, OK.

Hey!

We have a store like that too.

WLW & PVW, bombarded with UV rays under the fluorescent lights for the last 4 years.

”DISPLAY ONLY” , he angrily states if you so much as even glance at them.

whatever.

?

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

I can tolerate lotsa things, but not the "not for sale" attitude. As if it's my hard earned privilege to hand them my dollars. Just reading the thread made me angry.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

Hey!

We have a store like that too.

WLW & PVW, bombarded with UV rays under the fluorescent lights for the last 4 years.

”DISPLAY ONLY” , he angrily states if you so much as even glance at them.

whatever.

?

Hopefully he drank em' then just filled em up with Benchmark and put em' on display so his store looks more impressive.  It'd be sad to have that juice just sit up there for display purposes only!

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, Kane said:

I can tolerate lotsa things, but not the "not for sale" attitude. As if it's my hard earned privilege to hand them my dollars. Just reading the thread made me angry.

Those stores actually save me money, ? 

In a weird twisted way, I kinda appreciate the honesty.

At least I know where I stand and not to shop there much, or waste tons of money/time creating a relationship in the hopes of getting something.

I check in occasionally, because they screw up and put good stuff out for msrp sometimes, but I never feel bad for only coming in to cherry ? pick.

Local store has a WA107 and a OFBB19 "for display only"... They hate when I walk in and laugh at it... I keep telling them to name a price but they havent budged... So silly

The oddball dusty NYC liquor store with the Ollivander's vibe has a super-grubby First Edition 1964 Black Bowmore (low fill height) soaking up the sun amidst the random pints of Black Label and Black Haus behind the cashier. I casually asked about the "dirty bottle" hoping that the young gal was oblivious as to its ID. I was told "I don't think he wants to sell that thing, it's $32K."

I'm a bit confused with the "not for sale" concept.  This is liquor in a liquor store.

If the owner wants to keep it - take it home.  If saving it for another customer - put it in the office or under the counter.

Here's a moment in a store I really like with great prices and friendly staff.

They remodeled the store.  Now their top shelf bourbon sits up against a window in the blazing sun.  Good thing I drink bottom to mid shelf stuff.

Another moment, a high end grocery store on East 82nd street sells a lot of wine and beer.  Problem is their beer area is in the front in direct sunlight.  Also the beer is along a wall that is the side of a checkout isle.  If people are in line to check out you can't get to the beer.  If you are looking at beer, impatient people show up and can't get to the register.  Seriously the worst set up I've seem.

On 5/6/2016 at 1:54 AM, mortre said:

Not quite the same, but there is a liqour store down the road from my house that has multiple bottles of Stagg Jr for $200 a bottle and OWA was something like $45.  That's before the 20.5% sales tax.  Another has a bottle of William Larue Weller for $700.  Those made me double take.

Funny this was only a few years ago and now OWA retail is higher than what was perceived as a gouging price then.  I remember seeing it for $50 around 2016 as well and thinking "no way".

I'm a bit confused with the "not for sale" concept.  This is liquor in a liquor store.
If the owner wants to keep it - take it home.  If saving it for another customer - put it in the office or under the counter.

Here's a moment in a store I really like with great prices and friendly staff.
They remodeled the store.  Now their top shelf bourbon sits up against a window in the blazing sun.  Good thing I drink bottom to mid shelf stuff.

Another moment, a high end grocery store on East 82nd street sells a lot of wine and beer.  Problem is their beer area is in the front in direct sunlight.  Also the beer is along a wall that is the side of a checkout isle.  If people are in line to check out you can't get to the beer.  If you are looking at beer, impatient people show up and can't get to the register.  Seriously the worst set up I've seem.

That actually made me a think for the first time that there is a lot of architectural overlap in the ideal design of liquor store, strip clubs, and massages parlors. [emoji848]
  • I like it 3

Not a liquor store-- but last night at local restaurant I ordered a Springbank 10. When the bill arrived, there was an interesting line item below the Springbank… "+ $4.00: Neat Spec." That's a new one for me-- especially given that it was a standard measured pour. Don't think I'll be back anytime soon.

Not a liquor store-- but last night at local restaurant I ordered a Springbank 10. When the bill arrived, there was an interesting line item below the Springbank… "+ $4.00: Neat Spec." That's a new one for me-- especially given that it was a standard measured pour. Don't think I'll be back anytime soon.
I don’t think I’d be going back anytime soon either, but I’d probably let them know of my displeasure regarding that ridiculous up-charge!

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Unfortunately I see this a lot. I used to complain but only get blank stares in return, so I don't bother anymore.

9 minutes ago, Kane said:

Unfortunately I see this a lot. I used to complain but only get blank stares in return, so I don't bother anymore.

What's the reason for this?  They can't short change you on pours or dilute it?

3 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

What's the reason for this?  They can't short change you on pours or dilute it?

Yeah. I don't think it's supposed to make any sense :)

On 2/16/2020 at 4:23 PM, Marekv8 said:

My understanding of the Neat Charge is that it is a larger pour to make it look fuller in a glass that is designed for whiskey and ice. If they are really giving you an oversized pour, I'd have no issue. However, a Japanese restaurant I frequent charges an extra "rocks fee" for ice for some reason, and I have never been able to get anyone who can explain it to me because of the language barrier. If I want something on the rocks now, I just order it neat with an ice water (which is FREE) on the side. It's a head scratcher.

54 minutes ago, BDanner said:

My understanding of the Neat Charge is that it is a larger pour to make it look fuller in a glass that is designed for whiskey and ice. If they are really giving you an oversized pour, I'd have no issue. However, a Japanese restaurant I frequent charges an extra "rocks fee" for ice for some reason, and I have never been able to get anyone who can explain it to me because of the language barrier. If I want something on the rocks now, I just order it neat with an ice water (which is FREE) on the side. It's a head scratcher.

It was certainly not an oversized pour-- but then again I was unfamiliar with the bar and bartender. They also tried to pass off a Fernet Vallet as Fernet-Branca, assuming that I wouldn't know the difference.

• I like it 1

I’ve had this happen too. And oddly enough it was Springbank 10 in my case. I think it was $6.00 more, in about 2007 or 2008.

They charged me for a “drink” rather than a “shot” and were unreceptive to my point that nobody shoots good scotch.

Edit to add- that was not noted on their drinks list, and that was my issue with it. “Oh, that’s the shot price.” What’s the point of publishing a price below what you’ll charge me?

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

It was certainly not an oversized pour-- but then again I was unfamiliar with the bar and bartender. They also tried to pass off a Fernet Vallet as Fernet-Branca, assuming that I wouldn't know the difference.

Made me think of Alfred at the end of the Dark Knight Rises...?

On 2/9/2020 at 5:11 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

A couple I ran into yesterday were not behind the counter. They were customers. One I alluded to earlier. I ran into a guy that was looking for a rye. He was nice, and I helped him out. This was the good”Huh?” Moment. Now for the bad. I almost forgot to grab a bottle of BT Bourbon Cream, so I went back and grabbed one and headed towards the counter. I got to the counter and there was a lady in front of me. To the left behind a small shelf jutting out was a “tater”. He was looking through the glass of a side shelf trying to spot what goodies were behind the counter. All of a sudden he just cuts right in front of me. I said excuse me. He said it was okay because he was with the lady in front of me. I said really.  He gave me a look, saw my Vietnam Era Vets hat, grunted and said well excuse you. He looked at a Belle Meade and WFE that we’re behind the counter. The lady paid for whatever they had and they left. On their way out the door he looked back, shook his head at me, smiled and shrugged. What an ass hat.

As a side note here, the exact opposite happened later on when we stopped by Sam’s Club on the way home. As we reached the checkout area, I spotted an older gentleman and his daughter(?). He had a WWII Veteran hat on. I went up to thank him for his service, but he and his daughter spotted me and thanked me for my service first. Yeah, it kinda choked me up a little. It also made up for the antics of the jack wad from earlier. 

Biba! Joe

BT bourbon cream mixed with this makes a mighty nice Sunday coffee. It's my wife's favorite drink. Warning though, the meletti is THICK. It is very fudgy. Also I'm glad your faith in humanity was restored for the moment.

IMG_20200219_194657.jpg

Edited by Mattk

25 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

Made me think of Alfred at the end of the Dark Knight Rises...?

Is that where he exclaims “You’re only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!?”

13 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Is that where he exclaims “You’re only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!?”

It’s the part where he goes on holiday at the end but that part is good too lol.