What Bourbon did you pass up? Summer 2016

DonutsNBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

well, summer's here and what are you passing on?

today, stopped by Binny's and saw some IW Harper for $25, KC2001 for $140, and a Maker's private select for $70.  They had 2 different picks for the Maker's private select, wasn't sure if I should try it out for the $70 though, might go back and grab a bottle.

2016-07-01 15.41.44.jpg

passed on some Stagg Jr of the latest batch since I already got one and am sitting on a pretty good stock from earlier releases already

I've had three opportunities now to purchase the KC 2001, all at msrp. I will admit I stopped and thought about it each time, but was unwilling to pull the trigger. 2 years ago I make this purchase with no hesitation. It is both a sign of zen and the number of excellent bourbons available to me at a reasonable price that give me the willpower to turn this one down.

20 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

well, summer's here and what are you passing on?

today, stopped by Binny's and saw some IW Harper for $25, KC2001 for $140, and a Maker's private select for $70.  They had 2 different picks for the Maker's private select, wasn't sure if I should try it out for the $70 though, might go back and grab a bottle.

2016-07-01 15.41.44.jpg

I live in the Indy area but also shop at Binny's when in the area.  I received their Whiskey Hotline e-mail today and saw the MMPS.  I bought one in Indy for $69.99 and it was pretty good.  I imagine that Binny's did a great job in picking their staves.  It would be interesting to try each selection to see which is best.

48 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I live in the Indy area but also shop at Binny's when in the area.  I received their Whiskey Hotline e-mail today and saw the MMPS.  I bought one in Indy for $69.99 and it was pretty good.  I imagine that Binny's did a great job in picking their staves.  It would be interesting to try each selection to see which is best.

ah yes.  I got their email today too and decided to pick up batch #2 based on the descriptions.  which one did you pick up?  #2 or #6?

22 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

ah yes.  I got their email today too and decided to pick up batch #2 based on the descriptions.  which one did you pick up?  #2 or #6?

I didn't pick up either yet.  I won't get up to the region until mid-July.  I got mine from Crown Liquors in Indy.  I would imagine Joe (Lost Pollito) was part of the selection group.

Found a great little store one county south of me - perhaps the best selection I've seen in these parts. Passed on ECBF, RHF and the 21 and 22 year old versions of Rhetoric. Settled on a store selected KCSB instead. 

Took a coworker to a local liquor store with a good selection after he found out I was into bourbon.  He wanted to try something new and loves the idea of craft whiskey (proving he hasn't had much of it), so I managed to steer him toward a Tom's Foolery BIB, thus ensuring a worthy distillery gets the attention it deserves.  I noticed they had KC2001 for $150ish, and passed.

Edited by garbanzobean

Passed on Booker's Rye for $399, Michter's 10 yr for $179, Knob Creek 2001 for $149.00, and Lock, Stock and Barrel 16 yr Rye Whiskey for $169.00.  Went for tried and true Buffalo Trace Straight Bourbon for $21.95 ;)

Edited by starhopper

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:42 PM, PappyStagg said:

Found a great little store one county south of me - perhaps the best selection I've seen in these parts. Passed on ECBF, RHF and the 21 and 22 year old versions of Rhetoric. Settled on a store selected KCSB instead. 

what were they asking for rhetoric?

53 minutes ago, starhopper said:

Passed on Booker's Rye for $399, Michter's 10 yr for $179, Knob Creek 2001 for $149.00, and Lock, Stock and Barrel 16 yr Rye Whiskey for $169.00.  Went for tried and true Buffalo Trace Straight Bourbon for $21.95 ;)

I know where you're coming from starhopper. I usually pass on most specialty stuff, but occasionally I'll buy something out of the norm. Like you, I can't help but grab something tried and true like BT, especially at a good price. Which BTW, is exactly what I did a couple of weeks ago. :) Even though I have enough bourbon to last me the rest of my life, I still can't seem to pass up a good deal on something I like. That little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me that I may as well buy it because there's still a chance that I might not see it on the shelves for a while. :huh: Some excuse beats none I guess. :D

Cheers! Joe

3 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

what were they asking for rhetoric?

I don't recall exactly but I believe it was either $129.99 or $149.99. That seems to be the going rate in these parts.

Passed on a rowans creek today.....may go back and get it. Saw another kcw2001 for 119.99, and a Willett I passed on...funny looking bottle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I know where you're coming from starhopper. I usually pass on most specialty stuff, but occasionally I'll buy something out of the norm. Like you, I can't help but grab something tried and true like BT, especially at a good price. Which BTW, is exactly what I did a couple of weeks ago. :) Even though I have enough bourbon to last me the rest of my life, I still can't seem to pass up a good deal on something I like. That little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me that I may as well buy it because there's still a chance that I might not see it on the shelves for a while. :huh: Some excuse beats none I guess. :D

Cheers! Joe

Well, I have to admit that both my wallet and my wife were happy - and I have plenty of bourbon to keep me entertained for years to come.

Passed on a boatload of Stagg Jr. today even though my bottle is getting low. CEHT BP and 1792 Full Proof were also available so those got my attention, instead. 

Passed on ETL at $70 and ECPB at $90. First time I've seen ETL in some time but still an easy pass.

Edited by Spade

I have been seeing Old Ezra 12 in MD lately, which is new.  New to me, anyway.  I would be willing to give it a try since I love HH distillate, but the problem is that I keep seeing it for like $70+.  

40 minutes ago, garbanzobean said:

I have been seeing Old Ezra 12 in MD lately, which is new.  New to me, anyway.  I would be willing to give it a try since I love HH distillate, but the problem is that I keep seeing it for like $70+.  

Ezra B 12 yr. is so similar in profile to Elijah Craig 12 year (or likely even EC NAS, for at least the next little while?), I wouldn't devote that much scratch to a bottle, as long as you can still get the EC for about half, or even 2/3 of that price.

Ezra B @ $70 is gouging IMHO.

42 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Ezra B 12 yr. is so similar in profile to Elijah Craig 12 year (or likely even EC NAS, for at least the next little while?), I wouldn't devote that much scratch to a bottle, as long as you can still get the EC for about half, or even 2/3 of that price.

Ezra B @ $70 is gouging IMHO.

Agreed.  Unfortunately it appears to be the going rate.  Also, I don't really like EC12.  I might look out for some of the younger OE expressions.

JD sinatra century at $799, and AE rye at $90

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

High West Yipee-Ki-Yay @ $70 + tax.  Haven't heard enough good about it to part with half a bottle of Thomas H. Handy's worth of "cheese" (I like that use of word - wonder what the etymology of that usage is???).   B)  

A family sized EC12 at $60. I've got one at home and want to add another but hoping to find it at fifty bucks. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.